SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Went a little mod crazy this year.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 01:53 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jacques
Maybe it's because my car isn't lowered yet with such large rims. They are actually half and inch wider and only -5mm offset from stock. I don't like wheels that stick out anyways.
so they are 19X7.5 with a 40mm et huh? Like I said, fairly poor fittment for my taste, but as long as you like them-

BTW- Im not a fan of them sticking out either, I just like wheels that are flush with the fender.
Old 04-28-05, 04:05 PM
jacques
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc400texas
so they are 19X7.5 with a 40mm et huh? Like I said, fairly poor fittment for my taste, but as long as you like them-

BTW- Im not a fan of them sticking out either, I just like wheels that are flush with the fender.
My bad, I guess I don't know the stock numbers too well. They are actually 19x8's with 45mm offsets. What is so poor fitting about them? What width's and offsets are you running?
Old 04-28-05, 04:30 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

My bad, I guess I don't know the stock numbers too well. They are actually 19x8's with 45mm offsets. What is so poor fitting about them? What width's and offsets are you running?
The reason that they are poor fitting is becuase they sit so sunken in the fender. Do you know how much wheel fittment effects a car? Take this for example:

Flush Fitting Wheel (correct width with low offset to push edge of wheel to fender)

Poor Fitting Wheel (thinner width, high offset, sunken in)

are you catching on?

My wheels should have been here by now, but I will let you know that I will be running 19X9 and 19X9.5, I will not release my offsets, but you should know that they will be flush to the point that I will need some fender rolling and/ or shaving. I could have run a wide rear wheel, but with a 9.5 I can run a more agressive offset with a larger ammount of lip. Alot of tuners in the US dont understand the importance of wheel fittment. Hoenstly, a dropped car with great wheel fittment looks amazing, alot of people look beyond this when modifying their car. I am just tired of seeing poor fitting wheels on cars in the states- You will rarely see fittment like the accord in Japan- as they seem to grasp wheel fittment.

Then again, this is just my opinion!
Old 04-28-05, 05:02 PM
jacques
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc400texas
The reason that they are poor fitting is becuase they sit so sunken in the fender. Do you know how much wheel fittment effects a car? Take this for example:

Flush Fitting Wheel (correct width with low offset to push edge of wheel to fender)

Poor Fitting Wheel (thinner width, high offset, sunken in)

are you catching on?

My wheels should have been here by now, but I will let you know that I will be running 19X9 and 19X9.5, I will not release my offsets, but you should know that they will be flush to the point that I will need some fender rolling and/ or shaving. I could have run a wide rear wheel, but with a 9.5 I can run a more agressive offset with a larger ammount of lip. Alot of tuners in the US dont understand the importance of wheel fittment. Hoenstly, a dropped car with great wheel fittment looks amazing, alot of people look beyond this when modifying their car. I am just tired of seeing poor fitting wheels on cars in the states- You will rarely see fittment like the accord in Japan- as they seem to grasp wheel fittment.

Then again, this is just my opinion!
Interesting viewpoint you have. Any idea who came up with the standard that flush wheels are 'correct' and non flush 'incorrect' and why would lexus make the SC with such extremely poor fitting wheels stock? Personally I think non flush wheels look fine as many others, just matters of opinion .

BTW- Also any reason why you keep your offsets secret? seems strange.
Old 04-28-05, 06:48 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Interesting viewpoint you have. Any idea who came up with the standard that flush wheels are 'correct' and non flush 'incorrect' and why would lexus make the SC with such extremely poor fitting wheels stock? Personally I think non flush wheels look fine as many others, just matters of opinion .

BTW- Also any reason why you keep your offsets secret? seems strange.
The flush wheel thing has been a part of tuning for a very long time. Look at most shop cars from Japan, or Europe, look through a EXE, VIPstyle, VIPcar magazine, etc- its not that poorly fitting wheels are incorrect, its that most people that know better will get correct fittment when spending the amount of $$$ you spend on wheels. The fact that you dont understand and/ or are unable to acknowledge the fact that wheel fittment is one of the two major aspects of a car that can make it look average or great shows your inexperience. (not that its a bad thing, but I bet you dont buy a wheel with that kind of fittment again.)

Im keeping my offsets to myself after a discussion that my wheel guy and I had. I bought my wheels from D2autosport, we did alot of research to find the most aggressive offset to fit my taste and achieve the look I wanted. We decided inorder to not have people running out and copying the look, we would make them do the research themselves. Anyone with wheel knowledge will be able to estimate about what I will be running- but do note that Work did not want to sell these wheels for the SC/ Soarer, and I had to sign a document stating that I understand that these wheels may not fit.

Also- you dont have to run a super low offset (some may say VIPstyle) wheel to achieve this look, if you dont want the aggressive offsets (many people dont), you can go with a wider wheel, just know that you will have to worry about rubbing suspension components at some widths.

Dont fight this- its just accepted that proper fitting wheels look better, its nothing new or radical, its just the way it goes.
Old 04-28-05, 09:22 PM
jacques
Pole Position

Relax sc400texas, I feel your getting a little to worked up about this .
Besides its a matter of opinion like you said, how can you claim their fit is poor and not 'proper' and it's impossible for me to argue they look better? With subjective concepts like appearance claims like this are misplaced. I think the wheels stick out to much on that soarer and look gaudy and out of place on a luxury car and the accord's wheels look fine. Am I wrong? No, because that's an opinion, I can help it because that's just the way they appear to me. You think cars should have huge wheels that line up with fenders. Are you wrong? No. You've simply adopted a diferent style of wheels as better and wheels that don't look like Japan shop cars as poorly/improperly fitting. Again you entitiled to your opinion. To quote yourself, "don't fight this, it's just the way it goes". I get compliments almost daily about my car and wheels, I guess people in the states all have bad taste along with anyone who rides on 'improperly fitting' factory wheels
Old 04-29-05, 05:39 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

I get compliments almost daily about my car and wheels, I guess people in the states all have bad taste along with anyone who rides on 'improperly fitting' factory wheels
It is a matter of opinion-

however you are right, alot of tuners in the states do have bade taste, thats why a great fitting set of wheel with a drop can turn heads so well.

(ohh and factory wheels fit like that to forgo any rubbing or turning issues...- and if you think that something that is factory looks good, then why are you modifying? ) dont get upset about people not liking the way your wheels fit- its YOUR car, I was just stating that the fittment could have been better(you can argue that- you could have gotten a wheel that fits a bit better than that). Have you thought of running spacers?
Old 04-29-05, 03:55 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man I rub with my STOCK 15's . But only slightly while making slow tight turns, but still I cant imagine how bad I would rub if I had some aggressive rims on there
Old 04-29-05, 04:11 PM
Nitekids
Rookie

Maybe it's because my car isn't lowered yet with such large rims. They are actually half and inch wider and only -5mm offset from stock. I don't like wheels that stick out anyways.
No maybe it's because the wheels are skinny and high offset is because why they are sunkin it and you simply don't know any better on wheel fitment. Those konig are most likely 19x7 or 19x7.5 with a +40 offset. Wheels more suited for a FWD car. Stop lying to yourself saying you to don't' like wheels that are flush with the fender. When you lower the car the wheels are are gonna sit even more in.
Old 04-29-05, 04:54 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
Man I rub with my STOCK 15's . But only slightly while making slow tight turns, but still I cant imagine how bad I would rub if I had some aggressive rims on there
thats while turning- that can be fixed some with a bit of rolling. The real issue is going to be rubbing in the rear when I hit a bump-
Old 04-29-05, 04:55 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nitekids
No maybe it's because the wheels are skinny and high offset is because why they are sunkin it and you simply don't know any better on wheel fitment. Those konig are most likely 19x7 or 19x7.5 with a +40 offset. Wheels more suited for a FWD car. Stop lying to yourself saying you to don't' like wheels that are flush with the fender. When you lower the car the wheels are are gonna sit even more in.
This is exactly what I have been trying to say in a nicer way- but we all know how NiteKids likes to get points across
Old 04-30-05, 03:23 AM
jacques
Pole Position

If you read the post they are 19x8 with a 45mm offset. Inch wider than stock with the same offset. I love the way they look, so do many others. Bulging wheels that need fender modification just do not appeal to me as hard is that is to belive for you guys. Not everyone wants their lexus to look like a JIC racer, maybe in highschool but not anymore. Sorry guys, I know this is hard to accept, but not all people agree on aesthetics.
Old 04-30-05, 05:48 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

If you read the post they are 19x8 with a 45mm offset. Inch wider than stock with the same offset. I love the way they look, so do many others. Bulging wheels that need fender modification just do not appeal to me as hard is that is to belive for you guys. Not everyone wants their lexus to look like a JIC racer, maybe in highschool but not anymore. Sorry guys, I know this is hard to accept, but not all people agree on aesthetics.
ohh damn- Im done with college too, I guess I should send my works back and get some wheels that fit my car like short jeans would fit Yao Ming.

BTW- Im not going for the JIC racer look either, Im working on the EXE / VIPstyle look-
example:

-but not as dumped sort of like this- but a little bit lower, and a bit lower offset with a slightly thinner rim (this guy has a 19X10 rear with a +40, I will have a 19X9.5 rear with plenty of offset to push the lip right to the rim- which will give me some more lip

now tell me that doesnt look good- not gawdy, just correct fittment
Old 04-30-05, 09:07 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm gonna disagree with your Falken Azenis recommendation. I had a set.....for 6 months. They were quiet for 6 months. Then rode crappy and got louder. Ride was never great but got worse. Always remember, you get what you pay for. You don't have to buy the most expensive but never buy the cheapest of anything.