SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Auto starter on your SC400

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-01, 08:21 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone installed an auto starter/alarm in their SC?
Did it has any effect on the auto tilt steering wheel; did the steering wheel tilt down when you used the remote starter and before you get in the car?
Old 06-07-01, 02:59 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VQT,

I remember a Viper 500HF install in an SC that had the auto start (back in my car stereo job days). From what I remember, when the auto start activated, anything that was preset in the car from turn-off activated.

This would mean the radio, ac/heat controls, etc. The tilt would activate as well b/c the remote start is no different from you putting the key in the ignition. You can override the wheel tilt form the button on the side of the steering column.

The worst thing about the remote start is that depending on the year model Lexus, you might be required to purchase an additional key from the dealer & give it to the installer. The "cut" key is wired within the the remote start cabling, usually under the dash somewhere so that when you activate the remote start.....the system is tricking the car into thinking that you're actually putting the key in the ignition.

Remember....the additional key for "cutting" purposes is not for all Lexus years & models & have your local shop confirm what you need. I am pretty sure that SC models prior to '94 do not need the extra key.

Any info from others on the board would be helpful...I want to clarify some stuff for myself.

Marken.
Old 06-07-01, 07:37 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The auto tilt away is a function of a separate switch in the key cylinder, which isn't affected by anything on the ignition ON wiring which is what an auto start uses.

Old 06-07-01, 07:59 PM
BAN-SC300
Driver School Candidate

How much is this special Alarm ?????

did you install it yourself???

i might want to drop one in my SC 300
what other function are on that alarm?? like can you set it up to roll dopw the windows and open up the sunroof
Old 06-07-01, 08:11 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Many aux functions are available such as engine start, window/sunroof control, etc. These are simply functions of modules or wiring that is interfaced with the alarm.

Some newer alarms have these functions built in, but depending on the brand and what you are looking to accomplish, sometimes this is not a good idea...if they break then you have some pretty serious down time or bypassing to do until everything is fixed and operational again.

Old 06-08-01, 05:33 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

BAN SC300

I am thinking about an alarm call "autostar" (I'll check the spelling latter when I get home). this alarm is like the viper 500HF, just a few minor different functions.

This remote has a pager type function which will beep when something happen to the car, but if you are too far away or inside a building it won't work (signal can't get through).

I just like to have a remote start, and an extra alarm for the car. I don't care too much about the window & roof, but that's something to consider since I am going to try to install it with the help of my brother
Old 06-08-01, 06:34 AM
reLEXin247
Rookie

there are a couple of wires that need to be interfaced when doing a remote start alarm on a lexus... On my 1992 sc400 I had to interrrupt 2 different wires while the remote start is active. there are 2 ignition wires on a control module for the steering column. the module is located to the left side of the steering column. If you don't use 2 relays to interrupt these wires, the car will not move the steering wheel into place after you insert the key unless if you start it with the key or hit a seat memory button on the door.
Old 06-08-01, 09:59 AM
CDALTON
Driver

I dont have one on My Lex, but I do have auto start on my truck. I would only recomend installing one If you are driving your car in the winter. I dont drive my SC in the winter so I dont see the reason to have one. When its 5 below out its nice having your ride warm and ready to go.
Old 06-09-01, 01:42 PM
BAN-SC300
Driver School Candidate

DoubleWhoosh, thanks.... so it is just a matter of installing diffent relays for the windows and sunroof. cool

HEY, VQT.... do you have a website or some info. on that "Autostar" that sound like a good feature to have on your car. ( i am impressed ) i would like to price and compare against a couple other alams like Viper and Cliford.

I guess if/and/or when you install that alarm i would love to get your feed back on the device.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-01, 05:20 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the wrong spelling, the name of the alarm is "COMPUSTAR". I already had it on my other car, I like it because you can mute the "beep" (when the alarm is activated) and the "speaker" (when the alarm is strigger).

Dislike: remote is huge 3"x1.5"x.6" plus more than an inch for the antena(sp). The LCD screen does not last long.

From what I heard a newer version with smaller remote is on the market now.

You need to know how to install it or find a place that will install it for you. I check with Best buy/Circuit city and they don't install anything you bring in. I am lucky that my brother help me install the alarm for me.

they have a toll free no. 888-820-3690 or 907-563-8648
http://www.compustar.org/

Last edited by VQT; 06-11-01 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-09-01, 11:54 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Ummm that's not really what I said...

For window and sunroof control your best bet is some control modules. You could build your own with some circuit breakers and relays, but there is no point when reliable modules are available at a reasonable price.

SOME other functions can be done with just relays, but of course everything is dependent upon each individual situation.

Old 11-07-01, 10:59 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VQT, did you install compustar on your sc?
I just saw compustar on my friend's rav4. it's pretty neat! since my keyless entry not working, I'm thinking to install Compuster or other alarm system that comes with keyless entry.

If you have installed it on your sc, can you tell me how you like? thanks
Old 11-08-01, 06:04 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

No, I haven't install the alarm on the SC yet.
My brother installed it on my Corvette, and I like it.

When he has time, I'll get him to install the alarm to my SCs. We still have to figure out how to start the car without having the steering tilt down untill we put the key in the ignition.

Who install the alarm for your friend? How much did he pay for the alarm and how much for installing labor?
Old 11-08-01, 06:15 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by VQT
We still have to figure out how to start the car without having the steering tilt down untill we put the key in the ignition.

The wheel will not tilt down until you put the key in. That feature is activated by a microswitch just inside the key cylinder, not by power to IGN1, IGN2, or ACC (all used on autostart).

Make sure you use seperate relays for IGN1 and IGN2, you don't want to connect them together. Same goes when you put in a turbo timer...don't connect the two together. If you're installing a turbo timer and an autostart alarm...you can use the same relays

SR
Old 11-08-01, 06:31 AM
reLEXin247
Rookie

The problem is that the wheel won't go down automatically after you remote start the car. the microswitch that's inside the ignition switch will not function because the car is already running, that's why you have to inerrupt 2 wires while the car is remote started with relays.

Quick Reply: Auto starter on your SC400