Replacement nubs for center armrest

Old 05-13-13, 12:22 AM
LexDe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Trunk switch locked no Masterkey

Originally Posted by fc3s7
Hey guys -

Did a bunch of work on my new SC300 today - check the Engine section for a big how-to on changing plugs.

Few things I fixed -

- The center console/armrest was loose. When you closed it, it would move up and down about 2-3mm. I bought a pack of small adhesive rubber feet from Wal-Mart, put one on each side of the center console (where the lid closes -there were little marks where the "feet" of the lid were hitting) and that did the trick. Clean install, lid is nice and tight now, opens and closes as usual.

- As some may know, I only have the valet key (for now - ordering a real key Monday) and the key override for the trunk was locked, so I couldn't open the trunk. I disassembled the lower part of the driver's side dash where the trunk release is, and was able to get to the back of the assembly. The trunk release has two connectors going to it - a 2-wire connector from the main harness, and another 2-wire connector from the lock that's next to the trunk release. Unplugged the main harness connector, jumpered it briefly with a short piece of wire, and voila'! The trunk popped . Looking at the lock, there's a bright metal band around it - remove the band (it just clips on) and you'll see a black "button" that was hidden by the band. Press the button down, and the lock will pop back to the unlocked position. Now I can get into the trunk when I want to!

The best part is - there was LOOT in the trunk! I got a baby seat, a bookbag with some college textbooks, some baby toys, a black bra (!), some assorted women's clothes, a pair of women's shoes, and the ORIGINAL FLOORMATS! I was so stoked to find the floormats - they're in great shape too. I think the previous owner pressed the lockout for the trunk release on accident, couldn't open the trunk, and just gave up trying to get in - there are some pry marks around the trunk release panel where it looked like someone tried to fix it (note - you can't pry that panel off).

Attached are some pics of the lock mechanism/trunk release....

Dale
Wow this is the same dilemma I am currently facing with my 2000 Lexus GS300. I purchased it used without a the master key, only the Valet. I just need to figure how to disassemble the following and then I'll give a whack at your method. I appreciate this info!!!
Old 05-13-13, 01:26 AM
LexDe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Success!!!

Hey guys -

Did a bunch of work on my new SC300 today - check the Engine section for a big how-to on changing plugs.

Few things I fixed -

- The center console/armrest was loose. When you closed it, it would move up and down about 2-3mm. I bought a pack of small adhesive rubber feet from Wal-Mart, put one on each side of the center console (where the lid closes -there were little marks where the "feet" of the lid were hitting) and that did the trick. Clean install, lid is nice and tight now, opens and closes as usual.

- As some may know, I only have the valet key (for now - ordering a real key Monday) and the key override for the trunk was locked, so I couldn't open the trunk. I disassembled the lower part of the driver's side dash where the trunk release is, and was able to get to the back of the assembly. The trunk release has two connectors going to it - a 2-wire connector from the main harness, and another 2-wire connector from the lock that's next to the trunk release. Unplugged the main harness connector, jumpered it briefly with a short piece of wire, and voila'! The trunk popped . Looking at the lock, there's a bright metal band around it - remove the band (it just clips on) and you'll see a black "button" that was hidden by the band. Press the button down, and the lock will pop back to the unlocked position. Now I can get into the trunk when I want to!

The best part is - there was LOOT in the trunk! I got a baby seat, a bookbag with some college textbooks, some baby toys, a black bra (!), some assorted women's clothes, a pair of women's shoes, and the ORIGINAL FLOORMATS! I was so stoked to find the floormats - they're in great shape too. I think the previous owner pressed the lockout for the trunk release on accident, couldn't open the trunk, and just gave up trying to get in - there are some pry marks around the trunk release panel where it looked like someone tried to fix it (note - you can't pry that panel off).

Attached are some pics of the lock mechanism/trunk release....

Dale
Metal band removed. The black button was already pushed in this photo - where the aluminum lock bits are in the pic, that's where the black button was. It's a black plastic button, BTW.

Now I feel better than any SC owners in the future that have only a valet key and can't get in the trunk will at least know a trick .

Dale
I couldn't help but go out and try the procedure right away! With limited light due to its morning here in Tyler, Tx I used my light app on my cell phone to provide a descent source of light. The parts are identical to the one you have in your photo i couldn't pull it all the way out like it appears you have, even though i'm sure i took most the bolts out, any who i had enough pulled out to get the ring off and i used my knife to flip that switch lol The button popped and then i flipped the trunk switch and "Presto!!" Thank you!! Now I am also equipped with the knowledge to do so if i have to, yet like you've done I also plan to Order a Master Key!! Thanks again!!