SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Got a weird electrical problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-01, 11:19 PM
vj604
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as of late...every now and then..i step on the brake pedal...the headlights dim, the stereo goes out and the dash resets itself...kinda like a short..i am figuring as i push the brake pedal..power has to be diverted to the brake lights...but this is making it so the headlights dim or go out. sometimes the engine comes to a near stall if i am idle...no idea whats wrong...

im pretty sure the dealers arent gonna be able to make this a quick fix either...any help is appreciated...
Old 05-28-01, 01:51 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Check your ground cable.

Check your ground cable. Upgrade it if necessary. The ground cable is one of the "weak links" in the SC. The original ground cable is extremely puny, and the connection to the chassis is just as bad. Are you running alot of extra electrical equiptment? either that or the connections are getting dirty.

Toan.
Old 05-28-01, 06:34 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default check "ghosts in my electrical system" post

Hiya there VJ, we tossed this issue around on a prior post of mine. The ground cable helped many people, for me a new Optima Yellow top solved the problem. good luck.
Old 05-28-01, 08:22 AM
vj604
Driver

the car is still under warranty..im gonna suggest this to the dealer tomorrow...thanks for the help./

VJ
Old 06-04-01, 08:33 PM
vj604
Driver

so...i go to the d ealer...they say they will try and determine the problem....30 minutes of testing later, the ground cable seems to be good according to their mechanics and the mechanics cannot replicate teh problem. I wascharged 44.50 for labor. tomorrow, upon my suggestion and in agreement with the service manager i am getting teh cable replace...which they say will cost 100 bucks total. Is there something I can do? How can lexus just say, "oh we cannot replicate the problem...therefore, lets do nothing."

Im a little annoyed right now. I do not feel I need to be paying for them to test my car and tell me that they cannot figure out what is wrong. Today I stalled in traffic 2x because of it. You know how much it sucks to be sitting at a light and have your car stall? Then have people say, next time buy american..heh. What do you guys think I can do about Lexus not having proper methods to diagnose my problem? Is there a way I can write to LExus of North Ameriica or something? Anything? my car is still stalling every now and then, Like i said, the problem is intermittent. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-04-01, 10:19 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SC has the same problem as yours. It's not as bad as yours, my SC has never stalled because of it and it happens intermittently.

I'm going to go to the dealership tomorrow to buy the part, but it will be several months before I can accurately say that this is the problem (my SC will do this about once a month for a period of a few days and then quit doing it). Sometimes when this happens, I clean the connections and wiggle it around, sometimes it will quit resetting when I hit the brakes.

There was a previous post on here, I can't find it anymore (I saved the text though), but i believe that LexusDoc answered this best.

"The problem you are having is high resistance in your
negitive ground cable. See it all the time and have
replaced hundreds. You have 2 options. you could by the
whole harness for $250.00 or use the ground cable off
the gs300 that goes for about $65.00 list price. The gs
cable fits great! You have to separate the old ground
cable from the harness. Real easy.. Good luck

Doc"
"part #82123-30200" (i think this is the gs300 part)

Old 06-06-01, 12:35 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can probably do a lot better with some aftermarket high grade stereo-type cables instead of just replacing with the stock stuff.

Some better terminals and larger gauge wire should help.

Todd M.
TM Engineering
http://www.tmengineering.net

Old 06-06-01, 06:08 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down I WOULDN'T PAY A DIME!!!

Originally posted by vj604
so...i go to the d ealer...they say they will try and determine the problem....30 minutes of testing later, the ground cable seems to be good according to their mechanics and the mechanics cannot replicate teh problem. I wascharged 44.50 for labor. tomorrow, upon my suggestion and in agreement with the service manager i am getting teh cable replace...which they say will cost 100 bucks total. Is there something I can do? How can lexus just say, "oh we cannot replicate the problem...therefore, lets do nothing."

Im a little annoyed right now. I do not feel I need to be paying for them to test my car and tell me that they cannot figure out what is wrong.
Where do they come off charging you for working on a car that's under warranty?? They expect you to pay because they can't find the problem?

Man I gotta tell ya, I wouldn't take this crap. I would refuse to pay a friggin dime. From what you're telling us, this dealer sucks!!

Talk to the service manager, the general manager, Lexus Customer service...whoever you have to. They should be replacing the cable on their $$, not yours.

My position would be that it's their job to fix problems under warranty and I shouldn't be paying for it. This really pisses me off!!

YOU SHOULD NOT BE PAYING FOR THIS WORK!!!
Old 06-06-01, 11:02 AM
vj604
Driver

Hey, I have written to Lexus headquarters out in torrance. if you need teh address for something let me know. I already paid for this. I also paid for a diagnostic session that produced no results. I am writing explaining that this car has proiduced a problem toi the point where it wont function properly while it is still under warranty, this is not a wear and tear item either. it is a cable. Something positive better come out of this or LExus will be hearing from me for a while.

Marty, you live in ATL...you get your car serviced at a dealer? do ytou know of non-dealers that work on lexus and do a good job? I am a second year at Tech, currently in NY but moving down next year and will need a place to go...dealers are too expensive.

VJ
Old 06-06-01, 11:26 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

VJ,

Sorry, can't help you with a non-dealer Lexus shop at the moment. My car is under warranty so the only work I've had done outside the dealer is oil changes.

But, when you are ready to come down I'm pretty sure between all the Club Lexus members we have in ATL, we can find someone for you. Guarantee you we won't leave you to fend for yourself.

Marty
Old 06-06-01, 07:20 PM
DickLexus
Rookie

Question explain ground cable?

What is this ground cable. Is it the black cable starting on the battery?? What part of the car does it attach to ?? How long is it?? How can copper go bad and resist electricity??Can a novice install it. Please explain....I gots to know?

Old 06-06-01, 07:50 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

The ground cable is the one leading from the battery's negative pole to the body of the car. I don't know your car but they're generally 12-18". And you should be able to replace it yourself with a wrench. Remember to disconnect the other wire - the positive (hot) side...and don't let any metal, like the wrench, touch both the positive connector and either the negative connector or any other metal part of the car. The shock will definitely get your attention.

Copper doesn't normally fail to allow electricity to flow, but all metals can corrode and/or oxidize and that will impede the electricity flow. Also metal fatigue of the cable's multistranded wire can cause the strands to shred (and oxidize) to the point of failure.
Old 06-07-01, 05:53 AM
DickLexus
Rookie

Thanks Realmarty, I have a SC400 and also expierence weird electrical gremlins at times. My mechanic changed the alernator but they are still there.
Can'nt believe Lexus charges 250 for the wire. Have to try a change
Old 06-07-01, 06:47 AM
CDALTON
Driver

Smile

You Can use the GS cable. I had my dads cousin pick me up one, $45.00 (his cost). I am doing mine this weekend, so I will let you know how it goes.
Old 06-07-01, 09:12 AM
vj604
Driver

you can do it yourself. remember to disconnect the battery so theres no injuries..you might need to pull the battery out, its kinda hard to reach the other end of the cable. and marty, ill let you know when i get down there...theres a LOT of Lexus cars..and a lot of coupes down there...theres gotta be alternatives..maybe i can hook up that turbo sooner than I think...hmm..

Quick Reply: Got a weird electrical problem...