SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

CEL code 71 and AIRBAG code 41?

Old 02-11-05, 09:26 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CEL code 71 and AIRBAG code 41?

I tried to reset the airbag light using the method CL members posted (found via search function), and whenever I touch the TC wire to the ground for a few seconds, the cruise light blinks, ABS light blinks, and the airbag light blinks as if it's doing a code sequence. I got four blinks, pause, then one blink - code 41. What does this mean?

Also, the check engine light came on today as I was driving. Pulled the code (also via method posted by CL members) and got the code 71. According to the list I found, this means EGR system? Any else have this code come up?

With all the highway driving I do between New York and Chicago, the cold weather last night exacerbated a windshield chip into a two foot long crack. Went to the local windshield repair place, and they quoted that with everything (glass, moldings, hardware, install), it would be about $600. This was for PPG glass, which I've heard is good, but I would rather shell out the extra cash for the Lexus glass to keep my car OEM. Anyone else have to change their windshields? What prices did you pay, if you dont mind sharing?

What a day for the Lexus. First time driving it in two weeks, and all this happens at once. The car is a 92 SC300.

Thanks for any help,
-Brian.
Old 02-14-05, 11:17 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got that code 71 error...

and I just ripped out the EGR system entirely... it cleaned up the engine bay nicely
Old 02-15-05, 10:53 AM
AllBoutDaZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
I got that code 71 error...

and I just ripped out the EGR system entirely... it cleaned up the engine bay nicely
and how did you get rid of the check engine light??
did you put a resistor in teh plug so that it wont throw a CEL for the EGR??
Old 02-15-05, 10:58 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MoogieBoogie
Any else have this code come up?
Yeah me. And it's a major pain in the **** to tell you the truth. It started with a code 25, bad main 02 sensors. So I hooked up with good ol' JT (SupraCoup3) and we tried to swap out o2 sensors but his car and mine weren't compatible. So I went to Autozone and bought a couple of the Bosch universal sensors and spliced those in. That took care of the code 25. About a day later the damn light came back on. I was pissed, I checked it again and this time the code that was given was 71, EGR crap.

So, I hooked up with PerryinLA and we removed the little filter element from the modulator and cleaned it with dish soap, pulled the fuse, and the code was gone...for 2 days...then it came back. Grrrrr!!! Grrrrrr!!!

So lastly I hooked up with Will (AllBoutDaZ, I know...I seem to "hook up" with a lot of CL members huh? lol) and we removed the EGR valve completely and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. Mine was clogged as heck, the diaphram wasn't even moving up and down!!!! So after a through cleaning and replacement of the EGR gasket ($2 from the dealer but totally unnecessary, you should be able to clean your existing gasket and re-use it no problem) we once again pulled the fuse and put everything back together. The light came back about 20 miles later (imagine my level of pissed-off-ness at this series of events). Now I know the valve is working properly, so all it could be is a bad modulator...which I replaced 2 years ago but the work was only covered for 12 months. I wonder if these damn modulators go out that often? To have to do this same repair every 2 years would seem insane...any ideas?
Old 05-02-05, 10:15 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need advice

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
.... is a bad modulator...which I replaced 2 years ago but the work was only covered for 12 months. I wonder if these damn modulators go out that often? To have to do this same repair every 2 years would seem insane...any ideas?

Modulator?
What's the whole name for the above?
(vacuum modulator maybe???)

I got a 71, and am trying to see if it is worth it to clean the EGR with FI/Carb cleaner and re-install.
or by a used/new/ whatever the case may be......
Or trash it like mentioned here in a couple of my searches.

And after dumping the EGR, what's your gas mileage look like?

lorenzo 816
92 LS400 175k
Old 05-02-05, 10:43 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

EGR modulator.

I didn't dump my EGR system so my gas mileage stayed the same.

If you have a code 71 replace the modulator first, if that doesn't work then go about cleaning the EGR valve and whatnot. Replacing the modulator should be your first step because it's a cheap part to replace and it's right on top of the engine. If that doesn't work then go about removing the valve and cleaning it out. I believe there's a 3rd part associated with a code 71, some sort of VSV or something...(vacuum switching valve)
Old 05-02-05, 03:56 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MoogieBoogie
I tried to reset the airbag light using the method CL members posted (found via search function), and whenever I touch the TC wire to the ground for a few seconds, the cruise light blinks, ABS light blinks, and the airbag light blinks as if it's doing a code sequence. I got four blinks, pause, then one blink - code 41. What does this mean?

Also, the check engine light came on today as I was driving. Pulled the code (also via method posted by CL members) and got the code 71. According to the list I found, this means EGR system? Any else have this code come up?

With all the highway driving I do between New York and Chicago, the cold weather last night exacerbated a windshield chip into a two foot long crack. Went to the local windshield repair place, and they quoted that with everything (glass, moldings, hardware, install), it would be about $600. This was for PPG glass, which I've heard is good, but I would rather shell out the extra cash for the Lexus glass to keep my car OEM. Anyone else have to change their windshields? What prices did you pay, if you dont mind sharing?

What a day for the Lexus. First time driving it in two weeks, and all this happens at once. The car is a 92 SC300.

Thanks for any help,
-Brian.
Brian,

To be honest, a windshield is a windsheld. If you want to spend the extra on a Toyota glass then go right ahead. But it really is not necessary. The glass will all generally be the same stength, so whether you get a rock chip on OEM glass or some aftermarket, the windshield is still damaged. You said you drive a lot on highways so you are susceptible to windshield damage as it is. Save your money and go aftermarket.

I have never had to remove the EGR valve on the SC, but I know from plenty of other cars they are a real PITA. When they get hot they seem to stick on there so tightly they are close to impossible to get off.

Jonny

Jonny
Old 05-02-05, 03:57 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
EGR modulator.

I didn't dump my EGR system so my gas mileage stayed the same.

If you have a code 71 replace the modulator first, if that doesn't work then go about cleaning the EGR valve and whatnot. Replacing the modulator should be your first step because it's a cheap part to replace and it's right on top of the engine. If that doesn't work then go about removing the valve and cleaning it out. I believe there's a 3rd part associated with a code 71, some sort of VSV or something...(vacuum switching valve)
Mike,

You can bypass the VSV - I did it on my old car. I don't remember which hoses I did it with but if you need me to find out I can try and look.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 05-03-05, 10:36 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks mang, I should hopefully be able to "search" it out, lol. Peace homie.