my new hid lights (SC300)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-01, 11:39 PM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just wanna share my experince with installing real hid's into my SC300
The kit is using hella ballast and Phillips hid bulbs.
But it's not very bright when mounted into the projector low beams.
It's not the kit, cause when I tested it in my friend's 99 accord it was cornea damaging
bright! but when I tested it in another friend's car; 95 integra which also has projector
light it was also dim
Problem is the projector lenses seem to difuse the light.
It DOes look as white as factory hid systems, unfortunatley it's slightly dimmer
than my factory 9006 bulbs.

I did test it in my hi beam lenses, and it was BRIGHT!, but it's a waste to have them there,
since they are so rarely ever used.

Damn those projector lenses!
Any comments or suggestions welcome

Regards
Ken
Old 05-24-01, 05:54 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting the result Ken. It sure does save some of us who are looking to install HID a lots of money.
Old 06-06-01, 12:25 AM
Soarer-007
Rookie

I have an HID kit in my SC, its EXcelllent..!!
and most Audi and BMWs with HIDs ALSO use
projector style headlights..!! I have to disagree...the HIDs only compliment the way the projectors aim the light output....I have friends with Supra who love them too! We sell the complete bolt in kits for $600...
Old 06-06-01, 09:31 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default I have to disagree

KMN5:

Something is wrong here. I've had the phillips HID and ballast kit in my car for a years now. IT is WAY brighter than stock bulbs OR any superwhite bulbs I owned.

Considerably.

There was a time where I put 1 superwhite bulb on 1 side and my HID bulb on the other and drove it at night. The car in front of me and myself both concluded that you couldn't even tell the superwhite bulb was on.

Yes..off of the mirrors in a reflective housing such as the high beam or other non-projector cars..the light will REALLY blind other drivers...

but the projectors I have in my SC are bright ENOUGH..I get enough complaints already that they are too bright.

You don't know how many times I get people flashing their high beams at me(do people really think they are being helpful w/this?)...thinking I FORGOT to turn off my high beams or something...when in reality, I'm just using my lowbeam HID xenons....

You know, I did noticed a drop in brightness when I didn't set the bulb correctly in the projector lense.
The way the bulb is made doesn't fit uniformly in the projector housing. YOu have to fit it in JUSt right so it points straight and true. IF not, you'll lose a lot of brightness.

Hope that helps.

Anthracite SC
Old 06-06-01, 11:23 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I have to disagree

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
KMN5:

There was a time where I put 1 superwhite bulb on 1 side and my HID bulb on the other and drove it at night. The car in front of me and myself both concluded that you couldn't even tell the superwhite bulb was on.
Anthracite SC
Ant, what make superwhite bulb did u have in there (Hipers, PIAA, etc.)?......DoubleWhoosh has picked out two makes of bulbs that would look more like HIDs but this post is kinda makin me think that i will have to buy the whole HID kit, to get any improved visibility.
Old 06-06-01, 01:05 PM
Soarer-007
Rookie

The Popular HID "looking" bulbs out there are:
PIAA Plasma whites
Polarg VIP series
Nokya Artic Purples and some
Raybrigs series bulbs.....they ALL claim more light, and they are probably about 10% more....Some are just a pure white and some have some purplish tint to them..but hardley any. Best place to see many styles is at spwusa.com
..Ive sold many over the last 2 yrs..and tried them ALL in my SC...most of them are better then oem, but they all avg about $65-70 per pair. True about the HIDs about being installed properly....if they arent, your output light pattern will not be good.....dg
Old 06-06-01, 02:51 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default HID and other lights

I too tried all the lights.
I posted in the past about the goods and bad of all the bulbs. It was more detailed than this below, but here goes.

Hypers($80-100)
Very bright white light but still on the yellow side. VEry poor durability WILL burn out after about 2-3 months. At least one does..annoyingly.

Vision($80)
Vision gives a very blue light, but faint, and not very bright. It also will burn out after 2-3 months. Will give a faint "HID like" look. (not..I said LIKE..not actual)

PIAA($100)
Very expensive but seem to last pretty long. THey are also a white but still yellow light. Doesn't accomplish the goal of HID.

Nokya($40)
VERY VERY blue. Will give you a blue that even HID doesn't really have. But too much blue outputs very little light spread. IT's cheap though so it offsets any early burnouts.

Sylavania "cool blue" bulbs ($20) bucks.
Don't EVEN bother. Not blue and not bright. Just a little gimmick in the throwaway section at the local pep boys.

True HID bulbs w/ballasts($500.00)
The only real option in my opinion. Yes..it's about 5 times more than those other bulbs..but those bulbs also will NOT last and you WILL have to replace them 2-3 times at LEAST. That will pay for the HID bulbs in whole..and in addition...phillips has a lifetime warranty on these bulbs.

So MyLExus, I would TOTALLY opt for HIDs. I think this is a complete reference. ANy questions? hehe.

Anthracite SC
Old 06-06-01, 05:04 PM
Soarer-007
Rookie

True....but the std Hyperwhites and "low cost" bulbs like Nokya, Eurolite, APC wizards, Visions etc..we sell for $35 pair all have a pure white look, but a noticably blue tint...and the blue light in the light spectrum doesnt travel as far..hence the reason for actually getting a less light out there...
The PIAAs are a better attempt and have a better Kevlon ratings...and less blue, more actual light..
The Raybrig Metel white and Euro lite and the NEW VIP series Polargs are hi $ like the Piaas ($80 set)...and have a slight ting of purple now in them to resemble the Audis... You should be able to see the new stuff on the
spwusa.com site. Either way.....the real deal HIDs are worth while ....glad you agree
Old 06-06-01, 05:26 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are the HIPERS and HYPERS the smae bulb (or company) b/c DoubleWhoosh quoted me $30 for hiper bulbs????
Old 06-06-01, 05:46 PM
Soarer-007
Rookie

"Hyperwhite" is just a term used for the HID looking bulbs...they are the inexpensive more-white (not bright) light w/ the bluish tint to them,.....honestly with any of the "hyper-whites" my opinion youll lose visibility.....but get a "cool look" if thats what your after...great.
If you want more usable light....save for the HID kit...
the $80 you spend on the Piaas is hard to justify with the minimal more lite you get... Keep in mind, the bulb is only as good as the reflector and lens too for most cars.
Old 06-08-01, 01:56 PM
sxys_sc4
Rookie

I put those HYPER bulbs in my SC and it BURNED my wires. Luckily I didn't have to replace the whole wiring which would've costed ~$4,000!!! I haven't tried the PIAAs but I definitely do not recommend them IMMITATIONS. I have a friend who has a GS-4 and also put the HYPERS and it burnt his wiring as well SO beware. I recommend the REAL HID although it is pricey.
Old 06-08-01, 02:32 PM
Soarer-007
Rookie

Originally posted by sxys_sc4
I put those HYPER bulbs in my SC and it BURNED my wires. Luckily I didn't have to replace the whole wiring which would've costed ~$4,000!!! I haven't tried the PIAAs but I definitely do not recommend them IMMITATIONS. I have a friend who has a GS-4 and also put the HYPERS and it burnt his wiring as well SO beware. I recommend the REAL HID although it is pricey.
That doesnt always happen, but I can tell you WHY it probably happened....some of the bubs people are selling are std 55w...and some are 85-100w....THOSE are the ones causing problems...and melting wiring harness's and plugs. I learned this 2 yrs ago when we started selling them....after the first Civic it happened to, I quit selling the hi wattage bulbs, just std wattage....since then....no incedents
Old 06-08-01, 02:56 PM
sxys_sc4
Rookie

Thumbs up

Soarer-007

YES! The lights were 85-100w. So if I put lower watts, it will be okay? NO BURN OUTS!?!?!? Which one do you recommend me on getting besides the TRUE HID?
Old 06-08-01, 04:59 PM
Soarer-007
Rookie

Originally posted by sxys_sc4
Soarer-007

YES! The lights were 85-100w. So if I put lower watts, it will be okay? NO BURN OUTS!?!?!? Which one do you recommend me on getting besides the TRUE HID?
If you put std wattage....55-65w you ll be fine...
...dg
Old 06-12-01, 11:55 AM
rthammar
Rookie

I have an HID kit in my SC. First, when I installed in to my car, it didn't look difference from regular HID bulb.

So I found this web site:

http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/automotive/html/input_products_xenon_range.html

There are two type of HID bulbs

1. D2S : The D2S bulb is designed for for optimum performance in projection headlight systems

2. D2R : The D2R bulb features optical shielding and is specially designed for various types of reflection headlight systems.

When I bought the kit, it come with OSRAM D2R. So It didn't really work in SC projector with HID D2R bulb...

So I have to spend another $210 for philips D2S for a pair.
But the result was excellent very bright like Audi, BMW.......

Last edited by rthammar; 06-12-01 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: my new hid lights (SC300)