SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

to fix or not to fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 06:41 AM
SCryder
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to fix or not to fix

here is the story......took a right hand turn at like 40, hit the gas right when the rear tires were on one of those metal plates that are all over NYC when they do construction (didnt know it was there) did a 180 into a parked car. here is the damage report
- demolished rear 1/4 pannel (between wheel and bumper )
- trunk
- rear glass
- left tail light
- 2 rims

im looking at 1500 in parts and 2000 in labor 3500 for the basics
while its in the shop im looking to do/get 97+ tails and rear bumper, new rims and hopefully suspension for another 2000 so the total bill is going to be like 5500
I have a 92 sc400 with 121k with a few mods here and there
I know if i sell it as is i wont get much for it and i cant realy aford to get another car so do i fix bigger and better or do i cut my losses and and sell it or strip it
tnx in advance and all opinions are welcome
Old 01-21-05, 07:45 AM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I would Move on

Originally Posted by SCryder
here is the story......took a right hand turn at like 40, hit the gas right when the rear tires were on one of those metal plates that are all over NYC when they do construction (didnt know it was there) did a 180 into a parked car. here is the damage report
- demolished rear 1/4 pannel (between wheel and bumper )
- trunk
- rear glass
- left tail light
- 2 rims

im looking at 1500 in parts and 2000 in labor 3500 for the basics
while its in the shop im looking to do/get 97+ tails and rear bumper, new rims and hopefully suspension for another 2000 so the total bill is going to be like 5500
I have a 92 sc400 with 121k with a few mods here and there
I know if i sell it as is i wont get much for it and i cant realy aford to get another car so do i fix bigger and better or do i cut my losses and and sell it or strip it
tnx in advance and all opinions are welcome
I would move on to other car. If two rims were damaged and impact was big enough to break the rear window, there might be a damage on the rear axle.
Even though shop fixes right, you might still hear some noise from it or ride might not be the same smooth as before.
With your $5500, You might find 94-95 SC or little more around $7-8K for 95-96.
Good luck!
Old 01-21-05, 07:55 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Got pics? What broke the rear glass?

If chassis deformation broke it, it's done. Part it out. Fixing it will be costly (easily 1.5x any estimates) and it will never looks or feel the same.

Sorry to hear it, brother.
Old 01-21-05, 09:30 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah man,

I'd say good bye to her and find a new one! Cars really never do feel the same after they ahve been wrecked.

Peace,
jOnny
Old 01-21-05, 11:40 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Part it out and get an SC300... I'll take your front lip
Old 01-21-05, 12:00 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

which quarter got busted? give me a shout(im in queens, ny), i have the quarter.

or may buy the car from you.

thanks.
Old 01-21-05, 01:21 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, slow the &%$! down...seriously...there's absolutely NO need to take turns at 40pmh in the city. Then you spun out and hit someone's parked car??? Man you could have hurt/injured a totally innocent person, and for what? I don't want to flame you over this but this kind of driving makes me want to fire on other motorists.

Just this morning on my way to work some jerk flew around a corner at about 35mph, making a right turn directly in front of me. Slight problem, there was a truck stopped in the curb lane and he couldn't see it until he flew around the corner. Being as he was doing 35 or so and saw the truck at the last minute he had to merge into my lane and my front bumper was literally 2 inches away from his driver's side door. I swear, if I wasn't on my way to work the cops would have been out there a few minutes later hauling me away to jail. Lose that SC that you demolished and slow down in your next one, or God be with you if you crash into someone like me.

P.S. SLOW DOWN!
Old 01-21-05, 01:54 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Theres snow up here in the north right now so that could of played a part in the accident...
Old 01-21-05, 02:27 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by got_trd
Theres snow up here in the north right now so that could of played a part in the accident...
Yeah Chino, I know man...there "could" have been many contributing factors to this accident...but the main factor appears to be the rate of speed at which he took the turn. Be careful out there people, sometimes you don't get a second chance.
Old 01-21-05, 03:38 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i had a similar instance.. i was just going straight and then i was over a metal plate and my wheels just started skidding on it, but i didn't lose control b/c i wa sjust going straight.. i can imagine making a turn on one of those plates.

what kind of parked car was it? can you take some photos of your damage? is the chassis bent?
Old 01-24-05, 06:10 PM
SCryder
Pole Position

TNX for the replies, i just posted a few pix in my profile,just want to comment that in this case the speed WASNT the factor because it was a very wide one way street and it was about 4:30 AM i have taken the turn before but not in while.
Old 01-24-05, 07:30 PM
SCryder
Pole Position

link to damage
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/1
Old 01-24-05, 07:34 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

I wouldnt be suprised if its totaled. Does it drive ok as it sits right now? If you part out i will buy the spoiler if the price is right ....
LexusFiend
Old 01-24-05, 08:11 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ill take it, if you dont want to fix it.
Old 01-24-05, 08:11 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCryder
TNX for the replies, i just posted a few pix in my profile,just want to comment that in this case the speed WASNT the factor because it was a very wide one way street and it was about 4:30 AM i have taken the turn before but not in while.
I hate to break your chain but I have to side with Mikeloc on this one as well. Sounds to me like speed had EVERYTHING to do with this. You hit a parked car, what led to that??? The metal plate that you didnt see, but perhaps you could have seen it had you not been doing 40, or even if you hit it at 20 I fail to believe that it would have spun you into a parked car and furthermore with enough momentum to cause all that damage. Back on topic, part it out and look for a great deal on a a new(er) one.

Quick Reply: to fix or not to fix