SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Airbag Sensors - Location/Parts and Removing Airbag from Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-05, 01:13 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag Sensors - Location/Parts and Removing Airbag from Wheel

Okay, so my SC was in an accident with the previous owner. Still drives great and looks great but the airbag light is on. Now before you tell me I made a bad purchase I only got the car for $2500 so its OK with me. However this is an issue that needs to be resolved.

I think the whole front clip on my car was replaced so I'd like to know where the aribag sensors are located so I can see if they're still there or whatever with them. BTW, how would I know if I needed new ones?

Also, I'm pretty sure my steering wheel has an airbag. Its obviously not blown, but one of the side covers is missing which concerns me, also the airbag part moves back and forth (like into the wheel and back up) more than it should so that concerns me too. It would actually be easier for me if this was the problem and I needed a new airbag because its an easy fix. Here's the problem with that though, the screws are in way way way to tight. I have the end that fits in them and no wrench, drill, or screwdriver will get them out for me so the only option I have I think is to drill them out which I don't want to do because then I don't know how I could put it back in which I'd obviously need to do. Any insight, tips, or diagrams would be greatly appreciated on this topic as I'd like to get it resolved soon because I don't like driving around like this!
Old 01-09-05, 05:13 AM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the airbag computer is located directly under the radio if im not mistaken, theres some diagrams oin here somewhere if you search it you will find it,
Old 01-09-05, 12:13 PM
OlschoolGs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take it to a mechanic or somebody with a car scanner, like SNAP-ON Modis Scanner, they can reset the airbag light. if you were down here in socal i know a guy that charges $60 to scan your car, tell you why the check engine lights on, reset the airbag light... ect.
Old 01-09-05, 12:29 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the sensors are located by the frame rails where the fender bolts onto, there is one on each side. you may have to remove the fender to access them.

as for the computer, it is located underneath the radio/ashtray. i think you will need a computer, if your airbags blew, i dont think it can be reset.

i have the airbag computer/sensors from a 95 if you need it.
Old 01-09-05, 01:28 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Okay, I'll see what I can find on it. If I scan the computer (I have a 92) to read codes will it be more helpful, like tell me the problem with the airbag system? Or is the OBDI not that advanced. I've never had to scan a code yet. Anyways, I'm about to go out and look at it to see if I can find anything, I'll let you guys know what I find in a little bit.

I don't want to pay somebody $60 to read the codes because since its OBDI I can do that myself, and I don't want it cleared until I know the problem and can fix it. Thx for the suggestion though.
Old 01-09-05, 01:55 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

pic of airbag computer, box with yellow sticker in the center console:
Old 01-09-05, 02:18 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Okay, got the airbag out after finding the right end and yes... there is an airbag in there that hasn't been deployed, not just a dummy bag or something.

I tried to pull codes but I didn't get anything, just a constantly blinking check engine light. I'm not sure if it is even supposed give me a code if the airbag light is on though.

3 Questions now
1) When I pull out the airbag comptuer, how do I know if it works or not? Can Lexus tell me somehow? Remember my car is OBDI so the computer didn't show anything.

2) Is it possible that when the car was put back together that the airbag light was just never cleared and everything is working properly, or would the airbag light have turned off itself if everything was fixed.

3) If I clear the airbag light code, will it ever come back on if there is a problem? I was thinking about this, clearing the code and resetting the car computer? Would the airbag light then come back on if there was a problem again?
Old 01-09-05, 02:43 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Really weird. I had the negative battery terminal disconnected and I plugged back in the airbag into the wheel. I reconnected the negative terminal and now there's no airbag light. I didn't clear the code or anything! Glad I didn't pay somebody else to do that for me!
Old 01-09-05, 03:06 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

HAHA! Just kidding. I go back outside and its on again.

I tried clearing the code and the airbag light will go off, then pop back on, so now I know that there is a problem for sure. I'll call the dealership and see if I can get a quote to check the whole system. Hopefully it won't be too much just to check the system.
Old 01-10-05, 06:48 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like whoever fixed the car ran it without the airbag (typical in a bodyshop) and that triggered the light.

Try the airbag clearing code that's documented here used for clearing the light for instrument cluster removals.
Old 01-10-05, 01:20 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Yea, thats what I did. I tried clearing it and the light will turn off for a second, and then pop right back on, so there has to be a problem otherwise the light would not keep coming back on. I think I may just get a new computer from tap because its only $125.