SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Using low-beam bulb in high-beam sockets

Old 01-08-05, 03:20 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using low-beam bulb in high-beam sockets

Ok well the reason I'd like to use the low-beam bulbs in the high-beam casing is because one of my headlights is a little crooked and for some reason the projector just doesn't lign up right with the bulb and I get just about no light on the road. I was wondering if I put the low-beam bulb (with black tipped end) into the high beam socket would that still be too bright for all of the drivers coming at me? I really noticed this last night when it was raining and I counld't see ANYTHING at all unless the high-beams were on.

I'd go and do this but I'd have to buy new bulbs because the ones in my normal headlights are the high-beam silverstars!
Old 01-08-05, 04:14 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

OK, so you're running Silverstar high beam bulbs in your low beam sockets, and now you want to run low beam bulbs in your high beam sockets 'cause you can't see????

Something sounds very wrong... Are your headlights properly adjusted???
Old 01-08-05, 09:23 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your headlight alignment. near the top of the back of each headlight housing is a rod sticking out toward the engine bay with (i believe) an 8mm hex head on the end. take out a wrench and turn it left or right to adjust it up or down. i've managed to knock one of these out of alignment while working under the hood and didn't realize it at the time.

as far as running low beams in your high beam sockets, its possible, but the stock 9005 harnesses will eventually blow out the 9006 bulbs. you can remove these harnesses and splice in some 9006 harnesses; then you'd have to use wire cutters or a knife to chip off the plastic notch on the top of the bulb's base. the remaining two notches toward the bottom of the base will let you twist it into the high beam socket with decent fitment. then again, if one were to go through all this trouble it would probably be best to just do a hid conversion.

Last edited by kylesc400; 01-08-05 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-09-05, 12:49 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I'll look at the alignment but here's the problem. One side of the road is lit up well (right). That headlight is normal. My other headlight, for some reason the projector does not line up right inside the lens housing. So the beam pattern is off...way off. I've taken it apart multiple times and tried to put it back together right but it is warped and won't line up like the other light will. So I think I'll try something with the high beams, maybe figuring out a way to adjust them down until I can get a new headlight housing. BTW I'd do an HID conversion...but thats $$$ too.
Old 01-09-05, 02:37 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
I'll look at the alignment but here's the problem. One side of the road is lit up well (right). That headlight is normal. My other headlight, for some reason the projector does not line up right inside the lens housing. So the beam pattern is off...way off. I've taken it apart multiple times and tried to put it back together right but it is warped and won't line up like the other light will. So I think I'll try something with the high beams, maybe figuring out a way to adjust them down until I can get a new headlight housing. BTW I'd do an HID conversion...but thats $$$ too.
just buy new ones or these, save yourself a headache and bad lighting... even with a low beam bulb in the highbeam you'll **** off alot of drivers because the high beam reflectors will give out extreme glare to other drivers even if you only had the low beam light bulb in it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146008
Old 01-09-05, 05:56 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
I can't imagine what could be warped in there? Can you post pictures? From what I recall doing my HID retrofit, there's three screws holding the lamp housing (two adjusters and one "pivot"). I find it hard to imagine you couldn't get it to line up using the combination of the three?!?!? Oh well, pics would definately help!
Old 01-09-05, 10:51 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kylesc400
as far as running low beams in your high beam sockets, its possible, but the stock 9005 harnesses will eventually blow out the 9006 bulbs.
Running your low beam 9006 in your high beam 9005 sockets is not possible. The diameter of the 9006 hub/base is larger than the 9005's.

However, you can run the 9005 bulb in your 9006 sockets with minor modifications. You will get more light. The 9006 bulb is ~55w with a silver "tip" on the halogen bulb, whereas the 9005 is ~65w with no silver tip on the bulb. You get about 700 lumens more when comparing a 9005 to 9006.
Old 01-09-05, 09:03 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My projector was also out of alignment... It looks like the round projector lens is totally skewed when compared to the round opening? Most likely it is still the alignment, but you'll need to take a socket wrench to it. At the tip of the fine adjustment tool that lets you adjust from left to right there is a black fitment where you can place a socket on. For some reason on my headlight, I had to turn this a lot to finally get the projector lens centered. Also, the long silver bolt more lateral to the L/R adjustment thing is used to move the projector up and down. I thought I was going to break the L/R adjuster, but it is still very tight. and everything is finally centered.
Old 01-09-05, 09:06 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Alright, I'll take a look at that tomorrow.