SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

@@@ What is this PINGING/POPPING/TICKING sound? @@@

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-01, 11:07 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Angry

Do you all, have this pinging once the car is turn off? I heard it is a heat shield for the cats/ or header... I don't know what it is...

I've heard of a couple SC owners with this similar noise... The car still runs great not problems else wear, just the same lil' ticking/pinging....

What is it???:eek:
Old 05-06-01, 04:03 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about the ticking noises from under the hood after you turn it off?
If so, it's nothing to worry about. As the car cools down metal parts shrink and fluids compress...as they do they make small noises.
Old 05-08-01, 05:43 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Default Heat Shield Pinging

Does anyone know if the heat shields can be removed without doing harm to the car? I have a sc400 and the pinging/ticking is actually embarrassing when I pull up to a convenience store and turn off my car.
Old 05-08-01, 05:47 PM
FastSC300

that's normal after the car is turned off.....

My heatshield is removed and it still does it. No big deal.....
Old 05-08-01, 05:55 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

I guess we'll have to live with it...
Old 05-08-01, 06:35 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Default Pinging Noise

NOOOOOO!!
You're giving up too easy. There has to be a fix. Come on SC owners how do we get rid of this irritating ticking noise. This is a $56,000 car that sounds like crap when it's turned off. I can't be the only guy this is bothering.

What's the fix???
Old 05-08-01, 06:44 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

There's a new Lexus technician in the club... He goes by Lextek.....

Has anyone heard from LexusDoc or Lextech???

Until then, I guess we have to live with it.....

Old 05-08-01, 07:20 PM
FastSC300

Hhahahahaha!!!

if I had $56,000 dollars to spend on a car.....ummm, I'd be pimpin' a Viper GTS right now! LOL

ps....every car, I have ever owned ticks after you turn it off, every single mother f@cking one!

Scot Hail

Old 05-09-01, 05:19 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default simple solution

You could very easily solve the problem of the ticking noises by building your car completly out of Titamium and having it casted into one sigle piece. ALL METALS will expand and contract with variations in temp. Cold they contract; in heat they expand. Having so many small metal parts joined with fasteners (wether bolts, rivets, tack welds, etc.) will expand and contract and try to move against each other. The exhaust heat shields are the most affected, since they take the brunt of the heat and are build to dissapate it at a very fast rate; thus rapid loss of heat - all sorts of funky noises. But even if you remove them, the noises will still persist from other parts.

My friend has a Plymouth Prowler, and another has a Viper - they all tick when turned off. We need to learn to live with it.

Personally what gets me is the dripping from the A/C condensor - can't they make a pan to collect that !!!! I guess its good to vent our angers! I just hate having a car that looks like its leaking something - as it ticks away into oblivion after being turned off.

Keith
Old 05-09-01, 06:38 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Cool partial soln

Actually,
it is my experience on other cars that the ticking noise after shutoff is increased when the heat shield is partially deteriorated. Thus, taking it off completely may reduce the noise. However, taking the heat shield off is not really advisable as it exposes parts to the elements easier and may accelerate rust. Another solution is to get under your car and see if you can detect any loose parts or areas where the joints have deteriorated some. If these are easy to spot, either have a shop weld them back together or clamp them down. Like I said, this won't eliminate 100% of the noises, but may be enough so that it doesn't bother you.
Good luck and enjoy your car!
Old 05-09-01, 05:53 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shutdown noise

Ikon: Agree with everyone that all the racket is from heat shields – but all is not lost – I don’t know why, but my noises stopped some time ago – by themselves – mine used to raise hell too – all of a sudden, maybe 6 mos ago (can’t remember now when I heard them last) – just stopped – makes little or no noise now – listened today. Possible that dealer did something that stopped it, but I never asked them to check it out and they haven’t charged me for anything that I couldn’t identify (sure sign they didn’t replace anything). I had a cracked engine support replaced several months ago – maybe it got fixed as a byproduct of that. Anyway, point is – it’s fixable without removing the shields … but then maybe, just maybe, there are little things living in there?
Old 05-10-01, 08:24 AM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Default ticking, popping noises

Yeah, my 94 Sc300 makes a racket.
I thought there was something wrong with it when I first got it.
None of my other cars have ever made noises this loud
and for so long; maybe one ping or two).
But the SC300 makes noise for a while.
I think it's exceptional loud, especially for a high end car.
I'd expect this from a neon, but not a Lexus

my 2 cents
Ken
Old 05-13-01, 08:57 AM
TRE
Rookie

My car has this noise to. I had the shield looked at befor, I was told by lexus mechanic to get a new one, once they get old they make that noise. Is that true?
Old 05-13-01, 12:29 PM
lextek
Driver

All of these responses are great. I really don't know of a way to eliminate the cool down popping noise created by the 'shrinking' of the exhaust. Safe to say it is in the properties of the metal. I can't explain why one would just stop popping either. It could be reduced by some type of insulation, however I have no recommendations.
Old 06-11-01, 04:09 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

My car makes this noise even at idle and under moderate acceleration. Does anyone know how much it will cost to get the heat shields replaced. This is really pi**ing me off.

Quick Reply: @@@ What is this PINGING/POPPING/TICKING sound? @@@