SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New Wheels Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-04, 09:11 PM
Fastfwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheels Advice

I'm contemplating new wheels for my SC. Busted up one of the OZ's that came on it (a long time ago). Anyway, I'm not looking to move up to a greater width than 16" and I see a few manufacturers that don't even sell 16's anymore. I suppose that I'm sorta cheap, but I'm not spending over a grand on wheels. What's out there with a decent reputation for under a grand? At least quality wise if not prestige.

I thank you ahead of time - I'm not big into what's happening with wheels. Actually, it's not a really big deal to me. If I'm gonna buy though, I'd like to hear some opinions. My SC is black and I do kinda like the idea of black on black. Not sure how that's gonna look with stubby little 16's though, if anyone even offers black in a 16”.
Old 11-28-04, 09:41 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default ADR

well a couple years back I heard that ADR rims are very cheap quality.. but they have drastically improved. they make some decent looking wheels for under a grand as well. they are definately not the best quality.. although not the worst. to keep it simple.. they are OK.

personally.. i wouldn't buy ADR wheels.. only cuz i'm in NY and roads here are terrible.. i can't deal with cheap wheels. but if you want to spend under 1000, you may want to buy some stock wheels.. perhaps stock wheels off a TT supra, or the sc430 stock wheels.. the coupe 5 spoke ones not the ones that look like bottlecaps..

another alternative may be just to keep you OZ wheels and have a body shop repair the one you damaged.

i was playing need for speed underground 2 and when i unlocked rims, they had ADR ones there. I guess they have come to be pretty good..
Old 11-30-04, 11:52 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

Obviously, I'm not a Photoshop expert I thought it makes a better comparison on my actual car than the model they offer though - anyway, from what I see at TireRack I kinda like these and I’d like to hear what others think (not about my Photoshopping). Any suggestions along these lines are appreciated as well. I’m keeping 16” so that narrows my choices a great deal and has some effect on the look of certain styles I guess. I like it that these all fall around $700 for 4 – not per wheel. Wheels aren’t worth $2,000 dollars to me right now.

Mille Miglia? Logo appears to be a Momo knockoff. Are they pure crap? I kinda like the look of these the best. The grey color seems to compliment the black. The design seems to follow a contemporary theme I've seen on the more prestigious brand wheel websites. My gold is all badly worn now and may be replaced - platinum perhaps w/grey or those black chrome emblems?

Moda by BBS? I do know this name . Not a bad look, but rather plain for custom wheels and I'm not head over heels for silver. The rounded contours seem to flow well to me with the overall sleek and rounded contours of the car.

Borbet. Seems like I've caught this name brand around. Something makes me feel good about the brand - that's sorta strange and I can't explain it (no actual reason). I sorta like the look of these with the polished lip - not sure how they would work out on the SC with it's rounded and sleek contours.

Another unkown brand to me, AT Italia? Again the grey color scheme and black car is probably what draws me toward these more than the actual design.
Old 11-30-04, 12:03 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll tell you how I honestly feel, if you're hell bent on staying with 16's then just stay with OEM wheels. Whenever I see a car with aftermarket wheels but they're the same size as what the stockers would be it looks off to me, kinda like the person didn't know what to do. That's my opinion though, if you go aftermarket then go bigger, not the same size, otherwise what's the point
Old 11-30-04, 12:04 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Supra TT
/story
Old 11-30-04, 12:54 PM
Fastfwd
Driver

Originally posted by mikeloc24
otherwise what's the point [/B]
I appreciate your input, but mmmm, another $500 min. for tires is one point. If I were needing to replace the tires I might consider it, but I like the ride of 55's (Continental ContiExtremeContact – nice quiet and competent – replacing the loud *** Pirelli’s that were on it) on my Lexus . It's not a Porsche, Ferrari, etc. Even though there may be little difference in ride and it might improve looks a little - I'm just not sure it's worth it to me. Sure, some really sweet wide diameter rims might look good, but not really without the suspension being lowered. That would look even more goofy. More $$$ and further degradation of the ride quality for my taste. I had a Jeep with 33's for 10 years.... I rather enjoy the nice (relatively) soft ride of the Lexus. (don’t I sound like an old codger)

I hate to be sooo uncool to speak against the Dub trend, but some of that crap looks dumb to me. It’s a matter of taste. Not to say that done right it doesn’t seriously improve and set a vehicle apart. I’m not out to spend $5,000 (that I don’t have) to achieve that proper look. I *need* new rims because one of the OZ’s is destroyed (un-repairable) leaving me on the spare and totally ghetto – talk about stupid looking.

That being said – 17’s might be a possibility, but not probable. Not sure about the Supra TT wheels option. I’ll have to check it out.

Didn’t mean to sound like I was biting your head off if it comes across that way. I suppose I’m being defensive about my point of view on the matter in light of it being questioned.
Old 11-30-04, 01:44 PM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

hey im goin back to stock wheels until i buy some TT wheels, but mike is right if your going to stay 16's get some stock wheels the 10 bars or the BBS style rare (the ones i bought)or you can buy some nice supra NA 16's nice 5 bar design. if you get aftermarket you should go w\ at least 17's the SC is a very big car small rims dont compliment it very well. i would know i have 4 pairs of rims for mine. 16's,18's and 2x20's and soon some 17" TT wheels and maybe some custom 19's on the way (next week hopefully)
heres a photoshop of my car when i finish with those 16's stock wheels might look funny or just plain ugly but i like it
Old 11-30-04, 01:45 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Fastfwd
Didn’t mean to sound like I was biting your head off if it comes across that way. I suppose I’m being defensive about my point of view on the matter in light of it being questioned.
Speak your mind without regret man, that's why we're here. I have stockers on my car right now actually. I have the stock 10-spoke Lexus chromies on 225-55-16's and the ride is fine I agree. If that's the tire size you're running now then just keep your tires and get a set of used stockers from someone here, they may even come with better tires than what you already have, and they'll be considerably cheaper than a new set of 16's from Tirerack. I'm also not into huge wheels either (20's and bigger), even though I have a set of 19's for my SC which I haven't put on yet due to suspension reasons. When I read your situation what I gathered was that you were riding on 4 16's with tires and one of the wheels got destroyed so now you're looking for a new set of wheels without tires because you already have tires. If that's the case why go aftermarket? Aftermarket 16's look goofy because of the SC's large wheel wells, it'll look as if you wanted rims but didn't have the courage to get a proper size or were to cheap to get low profile tires, I hear it from people all the time when discussing cars. It's called "half-stepping" in the vernacular. If ride quality is your main goal then go for OEM wheels, why go aftermarket and stay with 16's? I don't see the benefit to that.

I'll give you an example, the other day I saw a new model Mustang (I know I know) and I was looking over the car to get a feel for whether or not I liked it (not for me to drive, just like it in general). The car had aftermarket wheels on it but they were the same size as stockers, it just looked wack for lack of a better term. You'll do whatever pleases you in the end and that's what you should do, I personally just think if you go aftermarket go bigger (doesn't have to be substantially bigger either) otherwise don't bother.

Look at prices people sell their stockers for in the classifieds, I'll bet it's nowhere near $1000 even with tires. I know I was thinking of selling my IMMACULATE stockers with tires and all I'd want if I sold them would be $500, and that's only beacuse 2 of the tires are brand new Pirelli's that I paid $150 each for. I decided to keep them unless I get a set of TT wheels.
Old 11-30-04, 01:58 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm with Mike... I'll paraphrase what he's getting at.

Aftermarket 16's make you look like you don't know how to mod and bought wheels for the sake of saying you bought wheels.

Stockers from another (better related) model make you look like a connoisseur. TT wheels for example.

That's my take on it, as a car guy.

Now, if 16s are what you want, the later GS wheels, Supra NA wheels, and even SC400 wheels are nice choices... All would go nicely on the SC.

Just some more choices on the menu.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-04, 02:11 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly, thanks Jose. I know a chick who just got a brand new Jetta and she was shopping for wheels recently, when she saw how much low profile tires cost she said, "well maybe I should just get wheels that I can use with my same tires I already have on the car since the tires are brand new" I just looked at her and said, "if that's the case just keep the damn stockers"

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything, just letting you know most people I know think that's a really goofy look to have on a car. But to each his own...

If I HAD to have some 16's on my car and I was in the market for wheels I'd get the GS 5 spokes in chrome.

-Loc

Last edited by mikeloc24; 11-30-04 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-30-04, 02:50 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If 16's are what you want, get the 97+ platinum wheels.
17's then your choices for selection are wider with Supra TT, GS, IS wheels.
18+ you would want to go aftermarket...
Old 11-30-04, 08:31 PM
Fastfwd
Driver

Sorry guys. I appreciate that it seems the consensus is that stock wheels from another car might be the going thing if keeping stock size, but going stock wheels - to me - seems like a waste if you have to get new wheels. Granted, better than the ghetto look I've got now, but if I'm going to spend money for new wheels.... I don't want stock. I appreciate the opinions to the contrary and I hear that those of you that have posted feel it’s the more hip thing to do. Possibly a better alternative than some cheap aftermarket and food for thought, but I’m not really caught up in ‘has to be bigger if aftermarket.’ If that’s the main reason against the wheels that I’ve mentioned - I have to disagree.

I wouldn't say my car looked anything but fantastic with custom 16's. I bought it this way:

It’s been a while since it’s looked that nice and clean and I’d like to get it back.

Last edited by Fastfwd; 12-01-04 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-30-04, 09:25 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Miglia Evo 5 looks great on the SC...Clean 5 spoke design that it doesn't bent your wallet...

Old 12-01-04, 01:20 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

hey fastfwd, please pm if your interested in these for your car.. they are 17s, $500 only w/ tires
Attached Thumbnails New Wheels Advice-adr.jpg  
Old 12-01-04, 02:41 PM
Fastfwd
Driver

Originally posted by 1993SCTT
hey fastfwd, please pm if your interested in these for your car.. they are 17s, $500 only w/ tires
I'll keep those in mind. I'm really liking these. I like the black w/polished lip look and Konig seems to have a decent rep from what I've seen. What's the word on Konig? Are they known as really cheap or super rice? More importantly, are they actually pretty decent? I think I read here that some guy's girl blew a tire out on one of these in a pothole or something and the rim survived? Not seeing them in 16” yet though.

Quick Reply: New Wheels Advice