SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

PLEASE HELP!! Door Lock ! Takes 2 mins!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-04, 04:21 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP!! Door Lock ! Takes 2 mins!

Guys,

Could someone please do me a huge favor!! PLEASEEEEEEEEE

Take off your drivers door panel and tell me this.

On your door lock mechanism there are 2 rods - one going to the handle and the other goes to the door lock.

The one gojng to the handle has a yellow clip and the one going to the lock has a pink clip. I need to know this -

Which rod is on the inside and which is on the outside.

For example - is the rod attached to the yellow clip closest to the outside of the car or the inside?

I checked the pass. side but it is set up differently.

Please help,

thx,
jonny
Old 10-28-04, 04:38 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jonny, maybe Tony (ACleanSC4) or Gazi (Aliga) can help you with this, they're the part guru's around here...when I fixed my door locking issue we didn't have to deal with those rods...sorry homie...
Old 10-28-04, 05:19 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

are you talking about the 2 metal wires that connect to your door lock/unlock and handle?

From what I remember, there is a blue one and that is for the door handle. It only pops in one way...maybe if you can snap a picture of it, I can help you out...
Old 10-28-04, 05:40 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
are you talking about the 2 metal wires that connect to your door lock/unlock and handle?

From what I remember, there is a blue one and that is for the door handle. It only pops in one way...maybe if you can snap a picture of it, I can help you out...
Yeah,

Those are the right wires - but wrong ends!!

You will need to remove the door panel and look through the large hole. If you look up and to the left you will see where these 2 wires run to 2 rods.

One of the rods has a pink plastic clip and the other one has a yellow clip. They both come out of a white plastic looking rectangular box.

What I need to know is whether the one with the yellow clip is at the front ( closer to the driver,) or behind the one with the pink.

I cannot get the pink one to clip in regardless of which side I put it. I don't want to put excessive force on the rod as that is the reason I am $100 in the hole for the last one.

If someone looks in there they will see exactly what I am talking about.

Thank you,
Jonny
Old 10-28-04, 05:56 PM
Caanon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, on my 92 The yellow one was for the handle and pink for the key lock. I thought they pointed different directions....unless I'm remembering wrong( probably am). The door handle(yellow) one had to be pressed from the "front" side in towards the rear of door(i'm sure of that). I'm not sure if the pink one pressed in from the front or the back.

When we removed the locking mech from the door the yellow clip broke. When we replaced that it needed to be pressed pretty firmly to go in. (FYI I got a yellow clip from an 87? camry)

Edit: I don't really remember how the key lock connected to the body....but if that is upside down or rotated it might be confusing you. It may only attach one way, I don't remember...just trying to give you ideas.

Last edited by Caanon; 10-28-04 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-28-04, 06:36 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Caanon,

Thank you - got your reply but unfortunately I still don't have my answer!!

Could someone please go look for me?? Come on - take out 5 screws and tell me!!
Old 10-28-04, 07:57 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

from the top of my head, the longer rod goes to the handle. and the shbrter one goes to the key cylinder.
Old 10-28-04, 08:19 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

OK,

I don't think anyone is understanding what I am trying to ask. So here is a picture that will hopefully make more sense!

I know which rods are which and where they go to. What I am asking is which is in front of which. I have used the plastic clip colors to illustrate which rod is which.

So tell me - if I was looking inside my door, would the rod with the pink clip be in front or behind of the rod with the yellow clip?

Thx,
Jonny
Old 10-28-04, 08:35 PM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

the yellow clip goes on the top with the door handle and the pink goes on the bottom
Attached Thumbnails PLEASE HELP!! Door Lock ! Takes 2 mins!-8902350.gif  
Old 10-29-04, 09:37 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Guys,

I guess I am not making myself clear because no-one seems to be giving me the answer to my question.

OK, do this.

Hold 2 pencils in your hand - pretend one of them is pink and one is yellow.

Cross them into an X.

Which one is closer to you, the pink or the yellow?

Now, look in your door panel and do the same thing with the rods.

Which is on the inside and which is on the outside?

Thx,
Jonny
Old 10-29-04, 09:43 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

J, this should be similar to the ps side, I dont see why that side would be any different.
Old 10-29-04, 10:00 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by aliga
J, this should be similar to the ps side, I dont see why that side would be any different.
That is what I thought! But there is about a 3-4 inch gap between the rods on the pass side - and barely milimeters on the drivers side., This is what confuses me about it. Usually they are identical apart from being reversed.

If someone would take a look for me it would solve all my problems. Do I need to pay someone to do it or what??

Thank you guys,
Jonny
Old 10-29-04, 11:08 AM
gnats
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try it one way, then test it. If it doesn't work do it the other way.
Old 10-29-04, 12:04 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

OK guys,

Here is the deal. I have the yellow ( door handle) rod connected. However, when I try to connect the lock rod ( pink one) the 2 rods are hitting each other not giving me enough room to push the lock rod through the clip. I thought maybe I was doing it backwards but I couldn't get it to push through either because the rod was getting in the way.

I tried removing the handle rod from the hole but it isn't budging and I am scared of breaking another rod. So, if I know for sure which rod is in front of which rod then it may be easier to do.

Peace,
jonny
Old 10-29-04, 12:15 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

OK, Here is a picture that should explain what I am trying to say. Should the lock Rod take route A to attach to the pink clip or route B?

Peace,
Jonny

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP!! Door Lock ! Takes 2 mins!