Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 Weight Reduction Worksheet

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 03:38 PM
ScAmor
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut out the spare area & poped in some plexiglass.. thats about all the weight reduction i've gotten to. lol ( & took out the back seats)
Old 02-18-12, 03:42 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im working on a light weight spare tire/wheel alternative. Hate to get to far away from home with no spare, with the cost of a wrecker fee.
Old 02-20-12, 06:10 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScAmor
I cut out the spare area & poped in some plexiglass.. thats about all the weight reduction i've gotten to. lol ( & took out the back seats)
Did you weigh it by any chance? Or a ball park feel how heavy the spare tire well is?
Old 02-20-12, 07:04 AM
616racing
Driver School Candidate

This is what my sc400 ended up at with all the luxury items gone, single race seat and the volvo body (Volvo body swap thread). From taking apart the SC400 I would have to say most of the weight is in the doors, stock seats, misc crap in the engine bay. Sheet metal between the volvo body and the lexus body is going to be pretty close for weight, lexus has more sheet metal, but the volvo metal is a lot thicker. This is a dry weight, but I think it came out pretty good for dropping almost 1200lbs.

Name:  c6414f6c.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  112.4 KB
Old 02-26-12, 12:16 AM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
CF doors I don't think are practical -- kinda like removing the A/C or PS.

I'll try to find out how much we'd loose w/ the CF trunk.

I'd also like to find out how much we'd lose w/ seats. (that'll have to wait for my car situation to sort itself out)

JT
Have you had your door off before? haha oh my it is heavy I replaced a hinge it was not a fun job at all. For the price I'm not too sure if it's worth it I believe they're towards $2000
Old 03-05-12, 12:39 AM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

Ill contribute to this thread and weigh in at a truck stop when I complete my drift car. Heres the thread link...

Chris Taylor's Drift Car Build
Old 03-05-12, 02:01 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

A thought:

We bought a Lexus, if most of you wanted a fairly light car you should have bought a 240 to swap a 2jz into. Quite recent i was at a crossroad to purchase a supra, r33 or go ***** out on my SC. I've driven all three cars and chose to rebuild my SC for the fact that its a Lexus with the heart of monster. I've taken my SC on an 6hr road trip, averaged 26 mpg and had over 600whp under the hood and was never reminded that i was in a stupid fast car until i down shifted and floored it, because... i was driving a Lexus. When you take away from what makes the SC a luxury car you veer away from what the car was meant to be.

I find it irrelevant to nickle and dime weight reduction when it comes to power to weight ratio. i would assume like most here, you want power but you want your car liveable with AC, cruise control and a very comfortable leather seat under your backside for long hauls. When's the last time any of you drove a MKIV supra? If you've at least rode in one you'll understand how i feel. If you're going all out then strip the car! If you're building the car for the same purpose as myself, live with the weight as it serves a purpose. Not only does it make a stable and planted car but a hell of a comfortable one.

I'm currently undergoing a MAJOR build, aiming somewhere between 8-900 daily driven on flex fuel and reducing weight isnt even on my agenda.

My .02 cents <----- it probably aint worth much.
Old 03-05-12, 02:04 AM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

^^ True story... MKIV Supras are what got me interested in SCs in the first place lol... I still want to build a street SC with the same type of focus you have in mind.
Old 03-06-12, 06:12 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Love weight reduction.
Old 03-21-12, 12:07 PM
BlakOnBlak
Driver

Originally Posted by trufanatic
A thought:

We bought a Lexus, if most of you wanted a fairly light car you should have bought a 240 to swap a 2jz into. Quite recent i was at a crossroad to purchase a supra, r33 or go ***** out on my SC. I've driven all three cars and chose to rebuild my SC for the fact that its a Lexus with the heart of monster. I've taken my SC on an 6hr road trip, averaged 26 mpg and had over 600whp under the hood and was never reminded that i was in a stupid fast car until i down shifted and floored it, because... i was driving a Lexus. When you take away from what makes the SC a luxury car you veer away from what the car was meant to be.

I find it irrelevant to nickle and dime weight reduction when it comes to power to weight ratio. i would assume like most here, you want power but you want your car liveable with AC, cruise control and a very comfortable leather seat under your backside for long hauls. When's the last time any of you drove a MKIV supra? If you've at least rode in one you'll understand how i feel. If you're going all out then strip the car! If you're building the car for the same purpose as myself, live with the weight as it serves a purpose. Not only does it make a stable and planted car but a hell of a comfortable one.

I'm currently undergoing a MAJOR build, aiming somewhere between 8-900 daily driven on flex fuel and reducing weight isnt even on my agenda.

Great Post... makes me feel real good about my SC
All I need is new seats and Im good to go
Old 03-21-12, 01:32 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

A thought:

Well said. Make more power!
Old 03-21-12, 02:44 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A thought:

i would had taken the r33 but thats just me.

-my rb20 swapped s13 coupe weighs 2,700 lbs with me and half a tank of fuel(full interior)
-my daily 96 toyota corolla weighs the same with me and almost a full tank of gas.
-not sure on the weight of my sc since it's not done. i will attend some track events and what not. but the s13 is the cone monster. the sc is more of a midlife crisis car. but i still want to shave off as much as i can. so why theres no back seat and the stock seats are no mk4 supra seats.

i won't be using a spare as iam gonna have brand new tires around. and i go cross country with the rb with no spare so yea. and a light weight solution to having a spare is get a oem z32 spare. they are light as hell,fit big brakes and are 16 inch.
Old 03-21-12, 02:58 PM
g-magoo
Pole Position

A thought:

I understand the point in the above posted...... BUT for some that are looking to lighten their car up, there are other benefits. Not everyone is building their car for straightline acceleration. There are different types of owners, say like those that actually road track/drift/auto-x their cars. Less weight has numerous benefits when those are the uses; plus more power isnt necessarily the solution. For the sake of the thread and the information that it provides I dont think its right to limit ones thinking to "these car are heavy, so we should just make more power". When did we start driving early 70's muscle cars? Some people prefer balance and a linear powerband. I also mean that in the least argumentative way possible; carry on and ignore the noob.
Old 03-21-12, 04:32 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Absolutely agreed ^^^
Old 12-21-12, 06:48 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Back from the dead!

I weighed my car today, and im happy. It was snowing last night so the scales had some ice this afternoon and the car had some ice stuck to it. I cleaned as much as possible so i think its sub 3000

I'l weigh it in spring to make sure its less, but till then.....
Attached Thumbnails SC300 Weight Reduction Worksheet-img.jpg  

Quick Reply: SC300 Weight Reduction Worksheet