SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Carbon fiber door trim, What do you think ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-04, 10:02 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LexusFiend
I dont think a lexus is that great of a luxury car but that doesnt mean it isnt, its like the lincoln of japaneese car makers.
Lincoln? You can't be serious. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Lexus consistently ranked as one of the highest in customer satisfaction, initial quality, etc? Name a single car manufacturer who builds a more luxurious vehicle in the same price segment.

Hasn't the SC proven itself as a competent tuning platform? The fact that it was the basis for the Supra should tell you that it has the potential to be a world-class sports coupe. I certainly believe that Toyota/Lexus could have produced a version of the SC/Soarer that could have been competitive with the GTR. I don't see how you could argue with that considering we now have $30,000 cars such as the EVO and STI outperfoming sportscars costing twice the price.

As far as carbon fiber goes, there were exotics sporting carbon fiber long before the introduction of the SC. The Ferrari F40 comes to mind.

Why do some on this list have such a problem with their fellow members opting for a sportier interior or exterior theme? BMW's and Porsches have numerous interior options ranging from luxurious wood to race-inspired carbon and aluminum.

I also would like to state that I see no problem with comparing the SC to cars introduced in the late nineties to 2000. The SC stuck around that long, because it was still competitive. Improvements were made throughtout the lifespan to ensure so. I happened to see an Aston Martin DB7 today, and have to say that it's still just as gorgeous of a car today as it was when it was introduced in 1993. Oh, and might I point out that it's interior layout looks a hell of a lot like that of the SC.
Old 09-26-04, 11:27 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll have to take some pictures of the finished pieces of my REAL FULL carbon fiber wood replacements...

the guys who were at the Norcal meet can maybe voice their opinion on my setup...looks sweet IMO...

here are some pictures with my camera phone during the test fit...

Last edited by ACleanSC4; 09-26-04 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-26-04, 11:38 PM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

I saw this in person, and must say F'in sick! Sure shows quality work and precise craftmanship. If I had my SC a definite addition to improve the interior.
Old 09-27-04, 12:05 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

acleansc4 - how can we get a hold of a set of those... they look incredible!!
Old 09-27-04, 12:17 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Originally posted by P.Williams
Lincoln? You can't be serious. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Lexus consistently ranked as one of the highest in customer satisfaction, initial quality, etc? Name a single car manufacturer who builds a more luxurious vehicle in the same price segment.
I think you might have misunderstood that i was saying ... i mean a lincoln has features that a lexus would but im not compairing the two ... there is no way i would drive a 92 lincoln across country but i wouldnt hesitate to do that in my 92 sc. About that car in the same segment (its a little less isnt it?) ... the G35 coupe i would trade my lexus for one of those any day, and i can get a 6 speed

Those carbonfiber replacements do look sick and in no way am i saying that im against using carbon fiber (i did it to the interior of my last car) ... it looks great if your going for the racer look and also those cars like bmw, skyline, and porsche etc are designed to be fast driver oriented cars (notice none of those manufactures offer only auto transmissions in their cars). There is no arguing that an sc can not be turned into a sports car and drivers car because of the similiarities with the supra.

I have never heard good things about the quality of the stick on interior pieces from sites like exotic wood dash ... has anyone done this and cares to share some pics?
LexusFiend
Old 09-27-04, 01:02 AM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Fair enough. However, I don't see how the G35 coupe applies. The G35 was introduced after the Z30 SC had been replaced. I don't know of any competitor to the SC in '92 that provided a higher level of quality and luxury for a comparable price. I believe that still held true in 2000. But, to say you'd trade your '92 SC3 for a new '04 G35 coupe is kind of silly. Who wouldn't?
Now to compare the G35 to other cars in it's current segment, such as the IS300, it would undoubtedly seem to be the better buy. Any magazine comparison puts the G35 on top for it's combination of performance and refinement for the price. However, I've heard far too many concerns about the quality of Nissan/Infiniti vehicles since the Renault buyout. Several magazine long-term test reports, in reference to the G35 and 350Z, support these concerns. Being able to match the price of the Lexus now, doesn't mean much if it's going to incur thousands of dollars of repair costs in the next 1-2 years.
Old 09-27-04, 05:21 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default cf

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ACleanSC4
[B]I'll have to take some pictures of the finished pieces of my REAL FULL carbon fiber wood replacements...

the guys who were at the Norcal meet can maybe voice their opinion on my setup...looks sweet IMO...

here are some pictures with my camera phone during the test fit...

How can your wood pieces come off? The dealer said mine couldn't come off with out breaking them. I want real cf instead of what I have.
Old 09-27-04, 07:00 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: cf

[QUOTE]Originally posted by reggiek
[B]
Originally posted by ACleanSC4
How can your wood pieces come off? The dealer said mine couldn't come off with out breaking them. I want real cf instead of what I have.
They all just unbolt, even from the dash (if you have a 92.)
Old 09-27-04, 09:35 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

haha...the dealer doesn't think you can do anything to your car...they think you can't fit those foldout cupholders in pre-95 SC's...they say you can't fit the 2000 conversion on your pre-97 SC...I say, don't believe anything the dealer tells you

Anyway, the wood from the doors simply unscrew after you pop the door panels off...

the wood around the vents also come off but you will have to remove the glove box..

I will be doing pictures on how to remove these from 92 sc's without passenger airbags and pictures from newer SC's with passenger airbags...

Last edited by ACleanSC4; 09-27-04 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-27-04, 10:13 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Fair enough. However, I don't see how the G35 coupe applies. The G35 was introduced after the Z30 SC had been replaced. I don't know of any competitor to the SC in '92 that provided a higher level of quality and luxury for a comparable price. I believe that still held true in 2000. But, to say you'd trade your '92 SC3 for a new '04 G35 coupe is kind of silly. Who wouldn't?
Now to compare the G35 to other cars in it's current segment, such as the IS300, it would undoubtedly seem to be the better buy. Any magazine comparison puts the G35 on top for it's combination of performance and refinement for the price. However, I've heard far too many concerns about the quality of Nissan/Infiniti vehicles since the Renault buyout. Several magazine long-term test reports, in reference to the G35 and 350Z, support these concerns. Being able to match the price of the Lexus now, doesn't mean much if it's going to incur thousands of dollars of repair costs in the next 1-2 years.
If i had an 00 sc i would trade it for an 04 g35, acura has had the legend/tl/cl since the late 80s but i dont think i could really say that they are more luxurious than an sc or is300 but they were always cheaper (im sure you have heard about the auto trans problems plagueing the cl/tl). i think the is300 is the closest thing that has had the lexus name on it to drive like a sports car from the factory, the handling is good but they should have offered a turbo version to keep up with the great handling. As far as 04 g35 vs. 04 is300 i would probably go for the g35 because they seem to be holding their value better than the is
LexusFiend
Old 09-27-04, 10:27 AM
20s
Rookie

ACleanSc - Where did you get those pieces from?
Old 09-27-04, 11:19 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default cf

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
haha...the dealer doesn't think you can do anything to your car...they think you can't fit those foldout cupholders in pre-95 SC's...they say you can't fit the 2000 conversion on your pre-97 SC...I say, don't believe anything the dealer tells you

Anyway, the wood from the doors simply unscrew after you pop the door panels off...

the wood around the vents also come off but you will have to remove the glove box..

I will be doing pictures on how to remove these from 92 sc's without passenger airbags and pictures from newer SC's with passenger airbags...

I know what you mean, they are sort of scared to take chances. They did admit the wood pieces could be taken off the 92-94 cars but not the 95-96. We didn't investigate 97-up. I need to know how to remove the wood around the middle a/c vent. That's the biggest problem...it's attached to the unit.
Old 09-27-04, 11:30 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Hasn't the SC proven itself as a competent tuning platform? The fact that it was the basis for the Supra should tell you that it has the potential to be a world-class sports coupe. I certainly believe that Toyota/Lexus could have produced a version of the SC/Soarer that could have been competitive with the GTR. I don't see how you could argue with that considering we now have $30,000 cars such as the EVO and STI outperfoming sportscars costing twice the price.

As far as carbon fiber goes, there were exotics sporting carbon fiber long before the introduction of the SC. The Ferrari F40 comes to mind.

Why do some on this list have such a problem with their fellow members opting for a sportier interior or exterior theme? BMW's and Porsches have numerous interior options ranging from luxurious wood to race-inspired carbon and aluminum.

I also would like to state that I see no problem with comparing the SC to cars introduced in the late nineties to 2000. The SC stuck around that long, because it was still competitive. Improvements were made throughtout the lifespan to ensure so. I happened to see an Aston Martin DB7 today, and have to say that it's still just as gorgeous of a car today as it was when it was introduced in 1993. Oh, and might I point out that it's interior layout looks a hell of a lot like that of the SC.
Finally someone that sees my point
Old 09-27-04, 11:44 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: carbon fiber

[QUOTE]Originally posted by reggiek
[B]
Originally posted by 2.5tsoarer
I can cover your factory ones. I can cover just about anything in carbon fiber

Can you cover the wood on the dash and doors without taking them out? I guess my question is can you make a kit that covers the wood on the dash and doors?

Oh Calvin, I've seen the kits on exotic wood dash. They don't cover the wood, only the console and shifter. I already have aluminum there.
I can make these to cap over your stock ones
Old 09-27-04, 05:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: carbon fiber

Originally posted by 2.5tsoarer
I can make these to cap over your stock ones

Okay, what do I need to do to set this in motion?

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber door trim, What do you think ?