SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC power antenna assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-01, 11:02 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My antenna mast wouldn't go all the way down so I decided to mess with it this weekend. I talked to the Lexus parts guy and all indication was that it might just be a kink in the antenna mast. It telescopes all the way up, and you can hear the motor so it seems that the motor was ok. He sold me a new antenna mast and told me it was an easy 20 minute job. Well it wasn't. I managed to unscrew the nut and washer, but I just could not separated the antenna mast from the shaft. I ended up disconnecting the shaft from the motor assembly and trying to pull out the rest of the original antenna mast from the shaft. Didn't work. I returned the new antenna mast this morning ($79.00) and ended up buying a whole new antenna assembly with new antenna mast already installed in the shaft already connected to the motor assembly ($282.00!). It took me five minutes to hook it up.
If anybody is interested, I have a used antenna motor assembly with electronics for sale. You just have to buy the antenna mast and shaft (and figure out how to put it together if they do not come already installed). Once the antenna mast is in the shaft the rest is easy. The shaft just fits into the motor assembly via one screw. Reasonable offers considered. If not, I might just keep it around for spare parts.
regards,
Thom
Old 04-17-01, 04:26 AM
scola888

Wink

I wish their was someway I could have talked to you before you spent all of that money on an antenna. They auction those off all of the time on ebay for as little as 60.00 bucks. Sorry.
Old 04-17-01, 08:04 AM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Question

Scola888,
Are those antennas on ebay a direct swap or universial ones? I've seen the ads, and they say it fits a SC, but I'm a bit skeptical, cause the SC's antena has a plug with 4 or 5 wires?
I didn't get a good look at mine, I just diconnected it cause my mast was damaged. I was going to order a new mask ($44 from Jay Marks Toyota) and swap that in...
Any comments or suggestions welcome

Ken
Old 04-17-01, 12:15 PM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

kmn5,
I too only had issue w/ the antenna mast not telescoping all the way down. The replacement of the antenna mast was not as simple as I had anticipated. In fact, I still don't know how to get the original mast out. If anybody knows, I'd be interested in finding out how (not that it really matters now, but just out of curiosity).
Old 04-19-01, 03:07 AM
scola888

Wink

I wouldnt swear that they would fit but they say they do and if you were interested I would find one on thier and email the seller and ask for a few pictures. I have bought about 5 or so things off of ebay and never had a problem. Most people are pretty much on the up and up from my experience.