SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Grounding Kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-04, 10:50 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC400 Grounding Kits

I was over on the GS forums and I stumbled upon this post, and I was wondering weather or not we could make one for our sc400. Their is currently one for a SC3 but nothing for our 400's, is there anyone that sells a kit for our cars or has a DIY way so we can make it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=86095

Thank you in advance

Tommy
Old 05-10-04, 12:54 AM
qmtran
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they have universal kits out there. i belive "hot earth system or hyper ground system" makes a universal kit. check out their website. i would say, go one better and buy the apexi super ground system.
Old 05-10-04, 10:32 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read and read and read and I still don't see the need for this. Please tell me what this does and if it's really worth it. I was having electrical problems a while ago and thought a grouding kit would solve the problem because I read that the SC's have a bad connection to the ground involving the negative battery cable. I decided to replaced my battery instead and that solved my problem, I was still interested in getting a grounding kit but want to know if it's worth it.
Old 05-10-04, 12:26 PM
qmtran
Driver

like i said...go to the manufactures websites and read abut their products. basically, the grounding kit just help supress or eliminate electrical spikes to give a better electrical flow, which in return, increases performance.
Old 05-10-04, 01:28 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by qmtran
like i said...go to the manufactures websites and read abut their products. basically, the grounding kit just help supress or eliminate electrical spikes to give a better electrical flow, which in return, increases performance.
I'm guessing it's a minimal improvement? You guys ever think of trying one of those MSD boxes?
Old 05-10-04, 01:53 PM
claus44
Driver

maybe just treat it as a fail-safe back up device?

The difference is more noticeable when there's actually something wrong with the car. Cables' ability to transfer electricity do degrade over time, so it is not a bad idea to add those to an old car. 350Z and G35 have the ground kit as an dealer option back in JP and even JGTC race cars now have grounding kits as standard equipments. Most G35 owners report smoother idle and better mid band torque after installing grounding kits.(some people use these to improve their sound system performance too)

Give it a try. If it improves the car, great! If it doesn't, then you should also be happy that your car is in very good condition.
Old 05-10-04, 02:16 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

See that's what I needed to know. I used to be BIG into sound systems but since I'm not really into that anymore I didn't see a need for a grounding kit. But if it can act as a fail-safe backup and also improve idle and mid-band torque then it may be worth it. I have a feeling that after the battery terminal protectant I used wears off I may have those "electric ghosts" back again so this may head that headache off at the pass. Any brands you recommend?
Old 05-10-04, 04:35 PM
qmtran
Driver

back in the home land of the soarer, the popular brand to use is the "hyper grounding system, or known to the japanese as hot earth" but there are newer systems out there. if you want to try something new, try apexi. they have very good quality products, so i cant see anything bad if you chose to use their products. i believe hks also makes a kit. retail prices ranges from 150-500 bucks. depends on who and where you get yours from.
Old 05-11-04, 01:42 AM
claus44
Driver

Hmm, i'd say to stay away from HKS universal kit since that kit only comes with 3 wires that you can play around with. Also, you should just forget about the other ground kits that are made by well known companies since they are asking for way too much for a few wires and a nice looking block. It's sad how cheap those kits are in asia while costing an arm and a leg here.

try one of these,

1. Get the Apex'i Super Ground, looks interesting and I don't think Apex'i would make something that would ruin the fame that they've build up with their safc & vafc.

2. DIY - get some 4 gauge amp power cables and crimp ring terminals and make your own. shouldn't cost you more than $40. only difference between getting a kit and DIY is that you won't have a nice terminal block at your neg post.

3. there's a guy on G35 forum that sells custom kits(no fancy terminal block). His price is reasonable and people have said good things about his kits. Don't remember his name though
Old 05-11-04, 01:45 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

i think teckkits.com should have one for the sc400... he made one for mines and i sent him the specifications that were needed...... hope he didn't just discard them after i sent them.... can always ask him i guess.....
here's the link to the pic i have of it on my car
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1
Old 05-11-04, 06:27 AM
JFlo
Lead Lap

The shop I used to work at has the "Hot Earth" kits. They are pretty cool, and not too expensive .... around $120 I think.

Anyways, we took one apart and it wasn't anything that you couldn't make yourself. I am prob. going that route.
Old 05-11-04, 10:49 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default hmmm...

Originally posted by LexAnt
i think teckkits.com should have one for the sc400... he made one for mines and i sent him the specifications that were needed...... hope he didn't just discard them after i sent them.... can always ask him i guess.....
here's the link to the pic i have of it on my car
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1
Hey Ant, did you install it yourself or have a shop do it? How much was the kit from teckkits? What improved once you installed it? noticable?

95RedSC, I was thinking the same thing man. I have a hard time paying a c-note or more for a bunch or wires and a pretty terminal block, I work near downtown LA so I can get all that crap for super-cheap from various sound shops (there's more stereo shops around here than anything else!) and throw together my own kit. If anyone has specific wire lengths and dimensions of what's all needed I will put together a grounding kit for myself and then report back what I paid for all the parts. If anyone else is interested I'll put together a package and ship it out when/if I have time. Meaning I won't be doing this as any sort of business venture, just in my spare time to help out fellow members...but again, this is only if someone can provide me with all necessary measurements and parts needed in the kit. Then give me about 2 weeks to get everything done. Let's go!
Old 05-11-04, 01:04 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

i paid the same price that was listed..... 89.95... i just sent him the specs and he made them in red for me to match my injen.... after installin it, did it myself wit my dad, shifting was a lot smoother, and the car felt slightly more powerful, like when you start up the car on a cold day, it feels strong, but usually after it warms up, it somewhat gets lil weaker i guess is the right word..... but it stays strong all the time now as if i just started it up.
Old 05-11-04, 03:53 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

This sounds like a very interesting mod. How hard is it to install?
Old 05-11-04, 04:33 PM
qmtran
Driver

someone buy the apexi!!!!!! BUY IT NOW!!! haha, i want to see how dramatic the difference the box makes that they have in their kit. ;]

Quick Reply: SC400 Grounding Kits