SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Grounding Kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 08:26 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried contacting Todd over at tmengineering (like Thomas C mentioned), but I got no response - via e-mail. I asked about price, shipping and availability, but I didn't hear back from him. I would like to support club lexus sponsers, so either one would do, and since I can drive to Carson to pick up the parts, that might be more feasible...however, since the Daizen ones from tmengineering are designed specifically for SC4, maybe the measurements might fit a little better.

Setwire - is the SunAuto one designed specifically for SC4? just wondering...
Old 11-30-04, 09:02 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by cheungsta
I tried contacting Todd over at tmengineering (like Thomas C mentioned), but I got no response - via e-mail. I asked about price, shipping and availability, but I didn't hear back from him. I would like to support club lexus sponsers, so either one would do, and since I can drive to Carson to pick up the parts, that might be more feasible...however, since the Daizen ones from tmengineering are designed specifically for SC4, maybe the measurements might fit a little better.

Setwire - is the SunAuto one designed specifically for SC4? just wondering...
forgot to mention Todd has been very very sick in the last few weeks... but he should be back 100% in a week or so.

it's supposed to be an exact fit.
Old 11-30-04, 11:07 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by VSsc400
You guys do know wht TMengineering has grounding kits made specifically for the SC400 and SC300 right?
Being that most of the better grounding kits are very similiar, price would be a determining factor in which one I buy. The SunAuto kit is $115 from Carson Toyota, the TeCKis300 kit is $81.50 shipped, how much is the TM ground kit?

Last edited by mikeloc24; 11-30-04 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-30-04, 02:58 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Originally posted by mikeloc24
Being that most of the better grounding kits are very similiar, price would be a determining factor in which one I buy. The SunAuto kit is $115 from Carson Toyota, the TeCKis300 kit is $81.50 shipped, how much is the TM ground kit?
I second that notion...like mikeloc24 said, price is probably the only real difference...

setwire - did u go and pick up the Sun Auto kits from Carson? Or did you have them ship it out to you? Just curious...
Old 11-30-04, 05:07 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Carson Kits

cheungsta

I live in Vancouver, Canada so I had Carson Toyota ship the units to me.
It is a bit of a drive from here to Carson, Ca.

I have been dealing with Steve Gantz and Carson Toyota since I bought my SC 400 a little over a year ago.
I have also dealt with Vlamos in Australia, I ordered the Vlamos comp;ete set of Control arm bushings.
Probably the best mod I have done to my car to date was to have the Vlamos Control Arm Bushings installed

Rob .
Old 11-30-04, 06:47 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

LOL...Sorry Rob...for some reason, I misread the location under your screenname as "California" instead of "Canada"...too much staring at the screen....

How much did the control arm bushing from Vlamos cost you? I heard Daizen makes pretty decent control arm bushings at a decent price...just wanted to compare.
Old 11-30-04, 07:19 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Hyper Grounding Kit

Originally posted by setwire
I ordered the SunAuto Hyper Grounding Kit and the Sunauto Hyper Voltage Kit from Carson Toyota, one of the sponsors here.
Installed them both this morning and am very happy with the results.
SC 400's idle is smoother, shifts are a little more positive and the car feels to have a little more power.
Don't know about the increased mileage yet but will be monitoring it and see how it goes.
Took me a little over an hour to install both Kits.
Tools required 10mm wrench, 10mm socket, 12mm socket and extensions.

Rob
which version of the voltage kit did you get? MR? LR?
Old 11-30-04, 11:26 PM
setwire
Pole Position

LexAnt
I purchased the LR Kit brcause most of my driving is city driving and it gives you more torque than high rev horse power increases.

Rob
Old 11-30-04, 11:40 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Control Arm Bushings

Cheunsta

I think the Vlamos bushings were $1000.00 CDN delivered to my door here in Canada.
This included all control arm bushing , upper and lower, front and rear the steering arm bushings as well.

If you like the luxury aspects of your Lexus then don't even think about buying the daizen bushings.
They are urethane and will not deliver anywhere near a luxury ride. And may become a squeaking disaster in less than a year.
If you are a hot rod type of guy and don't care about quiet and luxury ride then go for the daizen urethane bushing.
If you want to maintain the factory luxury ride of your SC and the quietness of luxury then consider the Vlamos Bushings.
There is several threads on this forum discussing the pros and cons of urethane bushings and the Vlamos OEM Rubber bushings.
I only know that the Vlamos Bushing will give you the original luxury and feel of the car and I have had no problems with them since I installed them.

No lubricating when the squeaks start, there is no squeaks after 1 year and I don't believe ther ever will be.
Vlamos bushings are the only way to go.

This is just my personal taste and experience.

I am sure other here will not agree with me.

It is a matter of personal preferences.

Rob

Last edited by setwire; 11-30-04 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-01-04, 12:23 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default the deal on bushings

The Daizen bushings: Pros-easily available from TM and the lowest cost of all the bushings alternatives when comparing parts only prices. Cons-they also have the harshest ride quality and may begin to squeak over time if not lubricated properly.

The Vlamos Bushing: Pros-OEM feel and ride quality, ability to order them wih varying degrees of stiffness. Cons-most expensive alternative plus the shipping time from Australia to your door. Also have to get a bank draft to pay for them, that may be time consuming for some.

OEM bushings: Pros-available right from your local dealer, Carson Toyota can get the set of front LCA bushings for about $156. They're only listed for the 97+ SC but another member has confirmed they're the same in earlier models and can be used without a problem. Cons-don't know of any, they're an OEM replacement part so you'll have no issues with installation or ride quality.

Hope this helps some
Old 12-01-04, 01:19 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

cons to the rubber bushings, they're gonna fail again but that's in like another what? 90k miles? longshot but if ur gonna keep ur car for a looooooooooooooong time, just something to keep on the tip of ur mind
Old 12-01-04, 03:33 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: the deal on bushings

Originally posted by mikeloc24

The Vlamos Bushing: Pros-OEM feel and ride quality, ability to order them wih varying degrees of stiffness. Cons-most expensive alternative plus the shipping time from Australia to your door. Also have to get a bank draft to pay for them, that may be time consuming for some.

Hope this helps some
Andrew Vlamos now accepts payment via paypal so having to get a bank draft in AUD isn't necessary anymore. He also ships parcel express which only takes like 3 days to get here from Australia. That takes away two of the 3 cons. IMO, go for Vlamos or the OEM ones for the 97+ SC's.

BTW, EuroJulian was the guy who put the OEM 97+ bushings in his earlier year SC. Do a search for bushings under his screen name and the thread will come up. I followed it very closely back when it was a hot thread.
Old 12-02-04, 12:14 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: the deal on bushings

Originally posted by jeremyp111
Andrew Vlamos now accepts payment via paypal so having to get a bank draft in AUD isn't necessary anymore. He also ships parcel express which only takes like 3 days to get here from Australia. That takes away two of the 3 cons. IMO, go for Vlamos or the OEM ones for the 97+ SC's.

BTW, EuroJulian was the guy who put the OEM 97+ bushings in his earlier year SC. Do a search for bushings under his screen name and the thread will come up. I followed it very closely back when it was a hot thread.
I'd go with the Vlamos only if I wanted to play around with the stiffness of the bushings, otherwise the OEM ones are cheaper and available right here in the US. True they'll only last about another 90k or so, but I won't have this SC when it reaches that mileage (300k) so it's not a concern.

I still gotta go to Carson Toyota and get a set!!!!
Old 12-04-04, 04:53 PM
jboy
Driver

Did anyone ever get the price on the kit from TMEngineering?

II have an issue with the car idling too fast when warm. I am curious to see whether a grounding kit will have any effect.

Jerry
Old 09-10-15, 03:17 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Any chance the maker of the grounding kit still makes them?

Quick Reply: SC400 Grounding Kits