SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Average Engine Life In Miles SC300 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-04, 08:54 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
I think you meant Nakamichi Sound... Good luck, I wanna see some pics when you bring your baby home..
LOL, One HoT SC400 beat me to it... I was going to say Lexus never came with a Bose setup...

I am with One HoT SC400, I want to see pics also Also if you don't mind me asking what is he asking for it ??

Keep us updated... BTW welcome to CL
Shawn
Old 01-15-04, 08:54 PM
sunblinds
Driver School Candidate

I hope it's a NAK. He said Bose. Either one won't be the worst thing that could happen. But Nakamichi is my prefered as I've had one in my house for over thirty years with no problems. And the sound is still AWESOME!!!!

As far as pics. I gotta show it. The guys on this forum with their great input have turned a 10 year Benz driver into a Lexus convert.
Old 01-15-04, 09:05 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guys on this forum with their great input have turned a 10 year Benz driver into a Lexus convert.
Once you own a Lexus, you'll never go back...I'll have to admit, if I were to sell my Lexus I wouldn't know what to buy except for another Lexus...You'll find many members on this board that own multiple Lexus's..Well, enjoy the car..Great buy!
Old 01-15-04, 09:06 PM
sunblinds
Driver School Candidate

Should be able to finish out about $8k. LIKE THAT!!

I got a problem with Bose. Got a 1992 300SE and the amp went out after about two months. Replacement started at $950. for the amp. Shopped around (everywhere) and the best I came up with was $375. for a rebuild. On EBAY they seem to have every amp but the one I needed. SCREW BOSE. NAK works. Just keep it dry and re-wire it so the amp never turns off (staight to the battery) and it will last you forever.
Old 01-15-04, 09:13 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8k is a awesome deal if car is totally immaculate! Nice buy!

Yup just keep the Nak amp dry and your good to go...If it happens to malfunction you can always purchase one for around $100 dollars on the forums or on eBay..

Old 01-15-04, 09:22 PM
TxLexus
Driver

SUNBLIND Man your observant of the steering wheel. thanx!. Thats some leather wrap I put in myself.
Old 01-15-04, 09:23 PM
sunblinds
Driver School Candidate

Hey "One Hot"

Like I said I've had my home NAK forever (About 25 Years) and the only time I've ever turned the amp off was to move it and it still works great. Think about it. Every time you start your car you send a power surge thru the amp which weakens the componets.
Old 01-15-04, 09:32 PM
sunblinds
Driver School Candidate

THIS TREAD HAS GOTTEN SO FAR OFF THE SUBJECT I'VE FORGOTTEN WHAT MY ORIGINAL QUESTION WAS. (I'M LAUGHING). IT'S BEEN FANTASTIK!!!!
The following users liked this post:
LEXXIUM (04-25-18)
Old 01-17-04, 09:19 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sunblinds
Hey "One Hot"

Like I said I've had my home NAK forever (About 25 Years) and the only time I've ever turned the amp off was to move it and it still works great. Think about it. Every time you start your car you send a power surge thru the amp which weakens the componets.

Oh damn.. I never thought of that.... So you all recommend I should take my car to an audio shop and have them wire it to the battery so the amp is constantly on? Is it a complicated procedure?
Old 01-17-04, 04:40 PM
RealRide
Driver School Candidate

Default Hoping to return to the original question

I've reached the 228,000 mile mark on my SC400 and the car still runs like a charm. I've owned the car since brand new and have no regrets. Here's a brief history of the car:
- 15-125K miles: No repairs except the regular maintenance (oil change, trans fluid, T-belt, brake pads, tires, etc)
- 126K-175K miles: AC seals got replaced, CD player started to skip occassionally, idle valve assembly (pretty big bill), T-belt again, tires.
- 176K-200K miles: Differential seals got replaced, radiator got replaced, brake rotors got turned, trunk lid's support failed.
- 201K-225K miles: Catalytic Convertors (aftermarket), O2 sensors, Transmission (big ugly bill!), rear wheel bearings, tires, instrument needle lights failed.
- 226K-now: I'm due for new lower control arms. I need new shocks. And I plan to do a few minor cosmetic cleanups such as recovering the driver's seat and a couple of minor tears in the leather.

I've used Mobil 1 at every oil change since the 175K mile mark. I do drive the car fairly hard and actually take it out onto the race track on occassion to show students around (I instruct High Performance Driving Education for NASA). At 200K miles, I did get it up to 125mph on a race track. The car was just smogged at 226K miles and the smog station technician was amazed that I had the mileage on the car. I did have to replace the catalytic convertors and the O2 sensors first, but once done, the car passed with flying colors. "As little pollution as a brand new car" said the smog inspector.

As I mentioned, no regrets. The car has been great to me and I highly recommend them. I had a loaner SC430 for a week last year and while it has nice bells and whistles, I'll save my money and keep my car. Not too fond of the styling either. For daily drivers, I've owned a VW Jetta GL, Fords (Explorer, Taurus), a Jaguar Daimler Sovereign Coupe with a 355hp Chevy 400 cu inch V8, Porsches (911SC, 944, 944 TurboS), a Hummer H1, a Volvo V70R Wagon, and a Miata. The Jetta was college (reliable car with no real weaknesses). The Taurus was my first post college car (plagued with minor problems), the Jaguar was a blast to drive in a straight line but hated stopping or turning. And the maintenance and repairs nearly bankrupted me, especially for such a rare car too. The Porsches were wonderful but a bit flashy, a bit pricey on maintenance too. The Explorer I bought as a tow vehicle when I began club racing, but again it was plagued with minor problems. The Volvo was also used to run parts for the race shop when we went Pro Racing and we only had it a short while before I traded it in for the Hummer. the Hummer... don't ask... I don't know what I was thinking! But we got rid of that slug after 3 months. The Miata was for my ex-wife. Another wonderfully fun car with few problems, but lacked space. For everyday use, the SC400 beats all those cars hands down. For my work, I'll need to get a car with more interior space so the SC400 will have to go later this year. But my next car will likely be another Lexus product... thinking of the IS300 Wagon. No SUV's for me.

Last edited by RealRide; 01-17-04 at 04:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (05-05-18)
Old 01-18-04, 12:43 AM
sunblinds
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by SC400-V8
Oh damn.. I never thought of that.... So you all recommend I should take my car to an audio shop and have them wire it to the battery so the amp is constantly on? Is it a complicated procedure?
Just make sure you drive your car everyday so the battery won't run down. Other than that No Problems with the amp. Some conversion vans have an extra battery under the rear seat that do nothing but power the radios, tv, clock, etc. anything that needs constant power.

Last edited by sunblinds; 01-18-04 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-18-04, 12:52 AM
sunblinds
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Hoping to return to the original question

Originally posted by RealRide
I've reached the 228,000 mile mark on my SC400 and the car still runs like a charm. I've owned the car since brand new and have no regrets. Here's a brief history of the car:
- 15-125K miles: No repairs except the regular maintenance (oil change, trans fluid, T-belt, brake pads, tires, etc)
- 126K-175K miles: AC seals got replaced, CD player started to skip occassionally, idle valve assembly (pretty big bill), T-belt again, tires.
- 176K-200K miles: Differential seals got replaced, radiator got replaced, brake rotors got turned, trunk lid's support failed.
- 201K-225K miles: Catalytic Convertors (aftermarket), O2 sensors, Transmission (big ugly bill!), rear wheel bearings, tires, instrument needle lights failed.
- 226K-now: I'm due for new lower control arms. I need new shocks. And I plan to do a few minor cosmetic cleanups such as recovering the driver's seat and a couple of minor tears in the leather.

I've used Mobil 1 at every oil change since the 175K mile mark. I do drive the car fairly hard and actually take it out onto the race track on occassion to show students around (I instruct High Performance Driving Education for NASA). At 200K miles, I did get it up to 125mph on a race track. The car was just smogged at 226K miles and the smog station technician was amazed that I had the mileage on the car. I did have to replace the catalytic convertors and the O2 sensors first, but once done, the car passed with flying colors. "As little pollution as a brand new car" said the smog inspector.

As I mentioned, no regrets. The car has been great to me and I highly recommend them. I had a loaner SC430 for a week last year and while it has nice bells and whistles, I'll save my money and keep my car. Not too fond of the styling either. For daily drivers, I've owned a VW Jetta GL, Fords (Explorer, Taurus), a Jaguar Daimler Sovereign Coupe with a 355hp Chevy 400 cu inch V8, Porsches (911SC, 944, 944 TurboS), a Hummer H1, a Volvo V70R Wagon, and a Miata. The Jetta was college (reliable car with no real weaknesses). The Taurus was my first post college car (plagued with minor problems), the Jaguar was a blast to drive in a straight line but hated stopping or turning. And the maintenance and repairs nearly bankrupted me, especially for such a rare car too. The Porsches were wonderful but a bit flashy, a bit pricey on maintenance too. The Explorer I bought as a tow vehicle when I began club racing, but again it was plagued with minor problems. The Volvo was also used to run parts for the race shop when we went Pro Racing and we only had it a short while before I traded it in for the Hummer. the Hummer... don't ask... I don't know what I was thinking! But we got rid of that slug after 3 months. The Miata was for my ex-wife. Another wonderfully fun car with few problems, but lacked space. For everyday use, the SC400 beats all those cars hands down. For my work, I'll need to get a car with more interior space so the SC400 will have to go later this year. But my next car will likely be another Lexus product... thinking of the IS300 Wagon. No SUV's for me.
Old 01-18-04, 12:54 AM
sunblinds
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Hoping to return to the original question

Originally posted by sunblinds
I've heard on more than one occasion "Jaguar is a mechanics's best friend".
Old 01-18-04, 01:05 AM
sunblinds
Driver School Candidate

THEY SOLD MY CAR RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF NEGOCIATIONS. I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR CAR DEALERS!!! DIFFERENT BREED. NO APPRECIATION. I'M PISSED......
Old 01-18-04, 11:03 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Had you actually struck a deal? Did you leave a deposit? Please give us the details.

George

Quick Reply: Average Engine Life In Miles SC300 SC400