Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

leak in car (help please!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-03, 07:52 PM
sctrd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LexusBiz ..If the water is coming from the drain or drains then it still would go on the headliner and channel down the pillar,then between the dash and the door where you probably can't see it unless you open the door when it's raining.But I dont think the drain hose would leak from both sides..Take off the pillar trim,the visor and a couple of clips that hold the headliner and check the area between the roof and glass for rust..Have someone pour water down the front of the area where the body and glass meets,while you look between the liner and roof.....Good Luck .....ps...If it is rust thats causing the leak,order the top rubber (its called a fastener in lexus parts)..Pre-order the part because I guarantee you they dont stock it.

Last edited by sctrd; 12-10-03 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-11-03, 05:04 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the great info SCTrd!!!
Old 06-12-04, 02:39 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

hey sorry im having the same problem with my trunk....there is water coming in underneath the amp did anyone figure out what the problem was?

CEO
Old 07-19-07, 10:14 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by THE_CEO
hey sorry im having the same problem with my trunk....there is water coming in underneath the amp did anyone figure out what the problem was?

CEO
BUMP for post #18, I need some help! What exactly should I check? I recently had my rear bumper, trunk lid, and tail lamps replaced and now my stereo is not working. I pulled the CD changer out and saw some rust it looked like on the adapters where the amplifier is bolted in. How can I test to see where the water is getting there from?
Old 07-19-07, 10:00 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Water Leak

Guys,

Think about this: Where are all the places that you could have a leak that would wet the inside bottom of the drivers door? One, inside the drivers door. The inside is covered with a plastic film that is held in place by some very sticky stuff. You open the door a couple of times and the sticky stuff is fouled or the film is ripped or discarded. The seal on thye outside window shrinks with age and there are water gaps in and around the door so rain does get in there.

Take off the door panel and replace the plastic and install new sticky stuff you buy at the auto paint store. Make sure you have all the plastic keepers/rivets/pins that secure the panel to the door. Do it right! That will solve your door leak and will probably solve your entire leak problem. If it doesn't....you didn't waste your time cause it needed done anyway and you now have one fewer place to suspect. As was said ibn another post "make sure the door drains are open and letting water out. I put a hose in the door and verified that all were flowing unobstructed. Making sure the plastic is right will make your car warmer and cooler and generally more comfortable.

I have been here with a Datsun Z car long ago.

Good luck and happy hunting.

John
Old 07-20-07, 04:43 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEd
Guys,

Think about this: Where are all the places that you could have a leak that would wet the inside bottom of the drivers door? One, inside the drivers door. The inside is covered with a plastic film that is held in place by some very sticky stuff. You open the door a couple of times and the sticky stuff is fouled or the film is ripped or discarded. The seal on thye outside window shrinks with age and there are water gaps in and around the door so rain does get in there.

Take off the door panel and replace the plastic and install new sticky stuff you buy at the auto paint store. Make sure you have all the plastic keepers/rivets/pins that secure the panel to the door. Do it right! That will solve your door leak and will probably solve your entire leak problem. If it doesn't....you didn't waste your time cause it needed done anyway and you now have one fewer place to suspect. As was said ibn another post "make sure the door drains are open and letting water out. I put a hose in the door and verified that all were flowing unobstructed. Making sure the plastic is right will make your car warmer and cooler and generally more comfortable.

John
I needed a bump for post #18, I have water in my trunk and I think its ruining my amplifier, need to find out how to stop it. The sunroof drain hose is connected properly and is not clogged
Old 07-21-07, 09:30 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEd
Guys,

John
yeah this is similar to what i did to fix my problem it took me hours of time with a hose and a bucket but i found the problem.

CEO
Old 08-11-07, 04:27 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Carpet wet?
First you must isolate where the water is coming from. Pull back the carpet.
Is it only Passenger side, Driver side, Roof?

Problems:

1. The rubber molding is not seated correctly
+ Check the rubber around the door as well as around the door jams

2. Evaporator is leaking (A/C)
+ Could be costly (about $650 from a regular mechanic)
+ Most likely only the passenger side will be wet
+ AC will be blowing warm
+ Distinct smell from the liquid leaking out

3. Hose Leaving Evaporator box is leaking into the car or is clogged
+When you look in the engine bay you will see a black rubber hose coming out from the fire wall. This is where you can have a clog.

4. Rubber Gromets under the carpet is missing or leaking
+ When you remove the carpet you will see the 2 black rubber gromets.
+ Check to make sure they are snug in place, if not place some silicon around it.
+ Sometimes the gromet drops out (can also cause a whistling noise when you accelerate)

5.Moonroof Drain Clogged
+ Fill a cup of water and place it in the Moonroom Drain
+ It should flow out underneath behind the front tire.
+ Check if it is leaking in the car.
+ If it is use compressed air to blow the debri out of the drain.
+ Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-JE2Isu0qs
Old 02-15-09, 08:52 PM
scoarer400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would this be the cause for the rear carpet as well?
Old 02-16-09, 05:28 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

old thread
Old 04-02-09, 06:14 AM
carbophat
Rookie

I know this is an old thread, but on the SC 400 the drain pipe for the sunroof is going to be located by the back seat, is this correct? If that is clogged this would most likely be the reason that my back floor boards are wet?
Old 04-02-16, 07:12 PM
tarq3
Driver

I have similar. Water in trunk under amp and by antenna also have wet front driver and passenger floor. How could it be in both places. Need some real direction here because water in both places is something that i don't think has been covered

Originally Posted by THE_CEO

CEO
Old 04-02-16, 09:51 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the area under the trunk CD player pull the trunk lining off behind it and there is a drain hose that runs from the gas lid area to a hole below. The top part is a metal pipe that turns into a hose and on mine the hose had came loose and there was garbage blocking the drain hole.
Old 04-02-16, 09:52 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Check condition of all door rubber seals and trunk seals, make sure they are sealing well, and make sure they are clean and well conditioned with an ArmorAll like product. Next make sure your plastic moisture barriers behind your door panels is intact, in good condition and is sealed properly. Use 3M Ribbon Sealer (Windo-Weld) Part #08612 to hold the moisture barrier to the metal door frame (great stuff). Also, make sure that ALL the lower door water drain holes are clean, clear, and draining water. Next, make sure your antenna mast rubber gromet is tight and is sealing properly on the rear fender.

Finally, make sure ALL your sunroof water drain holes are clean and flowing properly. Small weed wacker long plastic line is a great product to feed down thru your sunroof drain holes and clear/clean out your sunroof plastic drain tubes. Just be careful and feed the plastic line down the tubes VERY slowly (so as to not damage the drain tubes!) to push out all the years of dirt and crud that may be inside them. Run a bit of liquid soap down thru them as well to get them clean. Good luck.
Old 04-03-16, 02:12 PM
tarq3
Driver

thanks Ocnee1985 and dwebb99 will try all the above. On a side note i only noticed one drain hole on my sun roof. IT was on the passenger side, thought there were four. Will check again. This is my second SC400 my first one i had for 14years never any issues and had 355k miles before a pickup truck crashed into it.

Quick Reply: leak in car (help please!!)