RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

swapping tires on my newly purchased CPO

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 03:32 PM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapping tires on my newly purchased CPO

Just got 2013 RX350 CPO with 19" wheel but just found out the dealer (Santa Monica Lexus)used cheap Hankook tires on the perfect car omfg. (Other dealers in the area all told me they wouldn't use Hankook tires on their CPO at all) I went back and asked for a new set of tires and they refused and not answering my calls anymore.
What kinda options do I have now? Can I just sell/trade in those new Hankook tires and purchase a new set elsewhere?
Please help.
Old 06-09-15, 07:45 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I just checked Tirerack.com for Hankook tires that fit your car; and the reviewers and rankings were "Fair" to "Excellent" - with one measure having them rank 60% of the best in category.

I can only conclude that you have had a personal bad experience with Hankook tires or that they did not meet the specifications for your car for you to be so bitter - after all, you have new tires and a Certified car.

My local tire dealer sells "takeoff's" - new tires from new cars where people simply wanted a different brand/size/rating/tread - so you can surely find a tire store willing to up-sell you whatever you'd like.
Old 06-09-15, 07:57 PM
Hiroslamme
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I put some Hancook Ventus on my Lexus a while back, no issues until about 30K miles, they got noisy. They were better than the crappy Dunlops that came on the car. Not the best tire, but not the best but still better than the Dunlops, Bridgestones, or Michelins that come from the factory.
Old 06-10-15, 06:16 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

If you did not make any prior arrangements to have tires swapped, then the dealer is not obligated to replace them with your preferred brand. You can always get a new set installed and sell the old one on Craigslist.
Many new cars come with crappy tries from the factory, Lexus being no exception, so this is nothing new.
Old 06-10-15, 06:26 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

I had Hankooks Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires on my CT200h for 6 months before I sold the car and they were great. They were the second top rated all season high performance tire at Tire Rack. I think the brand has improved a lot in quality in the last few years.
What model tire do you have?
How are they actually driving apart from your opinion regarding prior Hankook tires?
Have you done any research for reviews on this model Hankook tire?

Last edited by Clutchless; 06-10-15 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 01:58 PM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I had Hankooks Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires on my CT200h for 6 months before I sold the car and they were great. They were the second top rated all season high performance tire at Tire Rack. I think the brand has improved a lot in quality in the last few years.
What model tire do you have?
How are they actually driving apart from your opinion regarding prior Hankook tires?
Have you done any research for reviews on this model Hankook tire?
Tbh, I just dislike the brand from past experience but I will do more research it for this car.
Cant really tell the driving experience yet since it's my wife's car and I only drove it a few times to dealer for services. But by comparing it to the loaner they gave me (2015 RX350 with 18" wheel) and my own 328i, this RX with Hankook tires gives me a much rough ride both on local surface street and on freeway. (more road/wind noise also compared to 328i maybe because it's a bigger taller car)
Old 06-10-15, 06:51 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryanmeow
Tbh, I just dislike the brand from past experience but I will do more research it for this car.
Cant really tell the driving experience yet since it's my wife's car and I only drove it a few times to dealer for services. But by comparing it to the loaner they gave me (2015 RX350 with 18" wheel) and my own 328i, this RX with Hankook tires gives me a much rough ride both on local surface street and on freeway. (more road/wind noise also compared to 328i maybe because it's a bigger taller car)
Bryanmeow,
I had the same feeling when i purchased my CPO 3yrs ago at the bayarea, it was spanking brand new Hankook Ventus AS installed, and guess what, today still in my RX350 with 35k miles on it (photo above) probably not the best tire out there but the ride quality in my experience was good enough for me, if you plan to change tires anyway, i would check out SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS, good luck.
Old 06-11-15, 05:24 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing but Michelins for me ! I want quiet !
Old 06-11-15, 08:19 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
Nothing but Michelins for me ! I want quiet !

I second that !
Old 06-11-15, 08:29 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Originally Posted by vince22

Bryanmeow,
I had the same feeling when i purchased my CPO 3yrs ago at the bayarea, it was spanking brand new Hankook Ventus AS installed, and guess what, today still in my RX350 with 35k miles on it (photo above) probably not the best tire out there but the ride quality in my experience was good enough for me, if you plan to change tires anyway, i would check out SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS, good luck.
Where did you get the exhaust tip??? It looks great.
Old 06-11-15, 09:58 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your input, I guess I will be keeping those Hankook tires for now and get a new set of Michelins in a few years.
Special thanks to vince22 for the picture!
Old 06-12-15, 10:44 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i had Hankook before on my RX i did not like them personally, too much noise and gave me a strange feeling on high speed. Switched to Michelin and i cant complain, very comfortable drive.