RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bunch of questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 01:49 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bunch of questions

How can I:

1. See the temperature the AC is set at, without having to push a button?
2. See if the AC is on or off without fumbling with the mouse controller?
3. See the speed of the fan without having to push a button?
4. Completely shut down the ventilation while at speed? Even if I turn the ventilation off, it's still pushing a lot of air into the cabin.
5. Open the trunk without unlocking the whole car?
6. Pre-lock the car while one of the doors is open and have it automatically lock when the last open door is shut (or the trunk).
7. Set the ventilation for windshield only or windshield and occupants only. So no feet.
8. Set the intensity of the Auto temp function? So when it's very hot in the car it doesn't blow my wig off trying to cool down the cabin in the shortest time possible.

After a few months of use I couldn't figure out how to do the above. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-15, 07:36 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

92 views and not an answer. And I thought there's no such thing as a stupid question
Old 06-08-15, 09:27 PM
lili43
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
How can I:

1. See the temperature the AC is set at, without having to push a button?
2. See if the AC is on or off without fumbling with the mouse controller?
3. See the speed of the fan without having to push a button?
4. Completely shut down the ventilation while at speed? Even if I turn the ventilation off, it's still pushing a lot of air into the cabin.
5. Open the trunk without unlocking the whole car?
6. Pre-lock the car while one of the doors is open and have it automatically lock when the last open door is shut (or the trunk).
7. Set the ventilation for windshield only or windshield and occupants only. So no feet.
8. Set the intensity of the Auto temp function? So when it's very hot in the car it doesn't blow my wig off trying to cool down the cabin in the shortest time possible.

After a few months of use I couldn't figure out how to do the above. Thanks in advance.
I am assuming you have the NAV...

1, 2, 3) You can't. You'll have to change the temp to get it to display for a second or leave the climate screen displayed.
4) Can't. All Toyotas/Lexus are made this way. Faster you go, more air comes through the vents.
5) Can only be done with the remote to keep the doors locked.
6) I'm not sure why you would want this feature. Lock the door when its open?
7) Press the front defroster button on the dash next to AUTO
8) Just lower the fan dial yourself or set the auto temp to 70-72... I've found that at this temp the fan won't blow at full speed.
Old 06-08-15, 09:31 PM
lili43
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bottom line: just set your AUTO to 70 to 72 and never touch another button ever and it'll always be on.
Old 06-08-15, 10:33 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Thanks for the answers.

I can't believe you cannot completely turn off the ventilation. It's just stupid IMO. When I'm doing 80 on the freeway, it's blowing like it's on at level 2 (out of 5)
Wife: Can you turn it down?
Husband: No.
Wife: Turn it off then.
Husband: I can't.
Wife: Why? Is it broken?
Husband: No, that's the way it works.
Wife: What??
Husband: Leave me alone woman!!

"6) I'm not sure why you would want this feature. Lock the door when its open?"
I use it a lot when I'm with passengers. I'm getting out, I touch the door handle and the car pre-locks, then I walk away. My wife or the passengers get out, and when the last door is closed, the car locks it self. Basically I don't have to wait for everyone to be out and only then lock it. Very useful.

If I would have the key in hand it wouldn't be a problem to lock it from a distance. But I never take the key out of the pocket, which is the whole purpose of hands free access. As a result, I need to wait for whoever is in the car to get their but out of the car, then be near the door so I can touch the handle.

Nothing really a deal breaker, there's no perfect car, I'm still adjusting.
Old 06-08-15, 10:38 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lili43
Bottom line: just set your AUTO to 70 to 72 and never touch another button ever and it'll always be on.
I turn the AC on and off at least once a day. I dislike the idea of 70 or colder outside and the AC running in the car. It's a waste no matter how you look at it. I only turn the AC on when I'm hot or the windows are foggy. All the cars I had so far had a dedicated AC button so it wasn't a problem.
Like I said, still adjusting
Old 06-09-15, 05:37 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
92 views and not an answer. And I thought there's no such thing as a stupid question
OP, since you asked, IMHO, you didn't get a lot of replies in the first few hours because for the most part people don't get as involved with long posts, especially multiple-part ones requiring time to reply and explain. You're also covering what seems like 3 different subjects through your 8 different questions, which likely made it harder for those more oriented to one-liner text-like replies to respond (there is a growing trend in that regard, especially as folks access forums like this from their mobile devices). I write some very long posts myself, and while I read threads on my iPad from time-to-time, I generally come in to my desktop when long posts need research or I'm going to write a more involved reply. That's at least my experience.

Anywhooo, back to your original post...

On the whole ventilation, AC, and heat set of questions 1-4 & 7-8, looks like folks have tried to help. Be sure you do some other searches here as well -- other threads with similar subjects, all IMHO summarizing near to what you've read here and wouldn't have a lot of new news. Me, since my RX400h in 2006, I set the temp in each of my rides and let it go -- 99% of the time I don't fiddle with on/off and trying to override what any of my cars are trying to do to keep me comfortable, just like I don't generally override my home thermostat that tries to do the same thing. Exceptions tend to be when it's really cold or really hot outside where I may change the temp up or down a couple of degrees just-because that's how I'm feeling, or on those occasions when I want the windows open going down the road. I have not driven in sandals for years, so have not worried with the cold feet challenge in a while either.

5. On my 2013, yes, the whole car will unlock -- reality is the whole thing (including cargo/trunk area) inside is accessible when one door is opened, so I don't personally see this as an issue or safety problem if that is what you may be driving at. I just keep the FOB in my pocket, and with a completely locked RX, walk up to the back hatch, and with my hand, reach up and push the hidden handle above the license plate which unlocks the hatch (and doors) and it comes right up. I then don't have to unlock a door to get in, or for a passenger that may be with me for the same reason. That works like a champ for me e.g. when needing to load groceries into my locked RX at the store, etc.

6. There is no "pre-lock" as you've found. IMHO from other threads, there are even more people worried about potentially locking themselves out of the vehicle or the vehicle not locking itself after the driver thought they did, so Lexus has put together a complex set of logic how locking/unlocking works to try and protect drivers from ourselves, including ensuring the FOB does not get locked in the vehicle. Folks have found a couple of anomolies over the years, but for the most part, I'd say Lexus has done a really good job with their objectives. I suppose I get what you're after with this "pre-lock" request, but not sure if I spent a lot of think time on it, it could be cleanly implemented without someone else then complaining "the car did something they didn't want it to". There are always tradeoffs.

Enjoy your RX!
Old 06-09-15, 09:16 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Default question 6

In our 2010 R350, I can lock the doors with driver door open, my butt out of the car itself but standing on the inside of the open driver door, and using the lock button on the door to lock doors. Without me actually being in the chair, it locks. If I am in the chair, it will not stay locked. I don't know if that logic has changed over the years, but that technique has worked for me (for Question #6.
Old 06-09-15, 01:10 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

4) Turn fans off by using Fan OFF button and set the Recirculation mode. When it is set to fresh air, that's what drives the airflow.
Old 06-09-15, 02:31 PM
kmar
Driver

Metrathon:
You've discovered some of the same annoyances of this vehicle that I've found in my 6 months of ownership. As many others have mentioned over the years the lack of a dedicated AC button on the dash is a major annoyance for many as well as myself. But as others have suggested there are ways of minimizing some of these annoyances. I wish Lexus/Toyota engineers & designers would follow these threads and provide what owners desire in the functionality of these vehicles.
Old 06-10-15, 06:51 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Several of your questions (1, 2, 3, 7, and 8 sorta) can be addressed by using the "climate" screen. For 4, I do as As vlad_a suggests and change to recirculate mode to reduce unwanted air flow. 6 bothers me, too. My wife deals with this by using the "lock" button on the driver's door, which will lock all doors whether or not they are open. But then the mirrors don't fold in. I choose to simply accept this, and wait for my lovely wife to close her door before I lock it up. I can't help with 5 or 8, other than to suggest you simply re-lock the car after accessing the cargo area. It really doesn't take a ton of effort. In my case it's more about getting into the habit. If you're already on my he "Climate" screen, manually adjusting the fan speed is pretty simple, too.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your RX as much as we enjoy ours! Foibles and all!