RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

50% tint on the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 08:47 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 50% tint on the windshield

Ive had 35% tint on my windshield before, had to take it off tho. Now im thinking of doing 50% or 70% tint, im leaning more towards 50% windshield, i have light interior and im at 20% front windows, 5% rear windows and rear windshield right now, but it still looks bright as hell inside the vehicle plus there has been fairly big amount of theft going on in my neighborhood so i dont want people to peep inside, plus tint is a good protector for the interior from the sunlight. How likely is it noticeable from the outside, would it really darken the inside or no? Maybe someone has pictures of their RX with the windshield tinted, any feed back is good
Old 06-03-15, 09:05 AM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're talking about tinting your WINDSHIELD? 50%? I know the police around here will ticket anyone with a certain level of tint on the driver and passenger windows, and I'm willing to bet they'd hand out the maximum fine for tinting a windshield. I can't believe tinting a windshield is legal anywhere!
Old 06-03-15, 09:30 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can't do that. Here is the New York law on tinted windows:

http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows
Old 06-03-15, 01:40 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmar
You're talking about tinting your WINDSHIELD? 50%? I know the police around here will ticket anyone with a certain level of tint on the driver and passenger windows, and I'm willing to bet they'd hand out the maximum fine for tinting a windshield. I can't believe tinting a windshield is legal anywhere!
Exactly what I was thinking. I have a hard time seeing out after dark and I think my windows are only tinted at 20% -- can't imagine the windshield being tinted.
Old 06-03-15, 05:49 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have 50% on mine and love it
Old 06-03-15, 10:55 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

A lot of things are illegal

@greeknasty could you please snap a picture from the outside so i could see how 50% looks like, does it noticeable that its tinted to the naked eye as you pass by the car for example?
Old 06-04-15, 12:08 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kmar
you will be ticketed in Virginia, the judge will have no mercy!
Old 06-04-15, 06:20 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

If you have an accident, the tinting could be held against you especially if someone got hurt and it went to court. Also, you're more likely to be pulled over which might not seem like a big deal, unless you've had just ONE alcoholic drink. Even if you pass field sobriety tests, I wouldn't want the hassle or chance of a DUI. In FL the cost of a DUI conviction is about $10k plus community service and insurance problems. If you never get behind the wheel after drinking, my point is moot.
Old 06-04-15, 09:06 AM
smcnair
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what I understand you can have a prescription from an eye doctor stating you need the all around tint for an issue with "light sensitivity".

I think that is akin to a doctor in California giving you a prescription for weed because of anxiety.
Old 06-04-15, 01:58 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yurka
A lot of things are illegal

@greeknasty could you please snap a picture from the outside so i could see how 50% looks like, does it noticeable that its tinted to the naked eye as you pass by the car for example?
yeah here are a few not the greatest but you have an idea..
and to those saying "oh its dangerous it will be held against you yada yada" the difference is not big enough to be considered a danger. speeding 5mph over is more dangerous than 50% tint. and actually 9/10 people dont even notice..those who do usually have windshield tint themselves..i passed inspection and the people didnt even realize it was tinted. 20% on the other hand is way diff story.
BELIEVE IT or not in my opinion at nights the tints give a safer drive BECAUSE it helps with glare from oncoming traffic. also on real sunny days it kicks a good bit of sun rays out of the way..
the pics were done on a partly cloudy day and also my front windows are 35% with 5% rears so the windshield looks darker than it really is
Attached Thumbnails 50% tint on the windshield-img_20140730_171511.jpg   50% tint on the windshield-img_20140730_171522.jpg   50% tint on the windshield-img_20140730_175457.jpg  
Old 06-05-15, 11:40 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

that looks lovely, thank you for the pictures, ill go with 50% then
Old 06-05-15, 03:01 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Post pics. Also make sure Ur installer uses a quality film. Mine is Llumar Ceramic
Old 06-05-15, 05:30 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found your thread Yurka and can't wait to see the new pics! As for the "That's illegal" posts, so is driving 65 in a 60 mph zone. Yawn......... I can testify that having the front windshield tinted at 50% makes VERY little difference in the view out of the driver's side window tinted at 35% and that it actually helps cut down on the glare. I did mine about two years ago and haven't had an issue. As for greeknasty's pics, nice!
Old 06-06-15, 01:53 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my pet peeves is when there is illegal tint on the front windows I can't see if the driver is looking in my direction at an intersection. This is the main reason not to do this. BTW I had a buddy years ago that tinted his windshield and got into an accident, his insurance adjuster noticed it and the refused the claim stating it was illegal. 6 thousand out of his pocket. Good luck.
Old 06-06-15, 04:00 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by hovbuild
One of my pet peeves is when there is illegal tint on the front windows I can't see if the driver is looking in my direction at an intersection. This is the main reason not to do this. BTW I had a buddy years ago that tinted his windshield and got into an accident, his insurance adjuster noticed it and the refused the claim stating it was illegal. 6 thousand out of his pocket. Good luck.

That's what an insurance adjuster can do. It's in the insurance company's best interest and how they make money. My best friend is an attorney handling liability suits and he guaranteed me that he would use the unsafe/illegal tinting against you. The courts have to recognize it. If you're going to break the law there can be dire consequences.
I volunteer at an animal shelter. The place is crawling with court compelled convicted drunk drivers picking up dog poop for 40-80 hours of community service. Many of them say they got pulled over for something other than drinking originally. They look like you and I. Don't give the police a reason to pull you over. Hopefully you were taught to never listen to someone who tells you to ignore the law. Make your own decision while weighing the risks.

Quick Reply: 50% tint on the windshield