RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Improving "auto" function of wipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 09:31 AM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Improving "auto" function of wipers

My new RX 350's auto-rain sensing wiper function doesn't seem to work as well as it should. Often quite a bit of rain will accumulate on the windshield before the wipers will activate. Even on the most sensitive setting the wipers don't swipe as often as they should. I've read many complaints about the auto-rain sensing wipers, and also saw a suggestion of applying Rain-Ex window treatment, at least to the area over the sensor.

The explanation given is that there is an infrared beam from the sensor that "sees" the rain drops.

Any thoughts on whether Rain-Ex will help the rain bead up to the sensor can more easily detect it?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice on this situation.
Old 06-02-15, 12:04 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

You could try that stuff or these newer generation glass treatments. They do help you see better in the rain.
Amazon.com: Rain Repellent - Hydrophobic Glass Treatment: Automotive Amazon.com: Rain Repellent - Hydrophobic Glass Treatment: Automotive

http://www.autogeek.net/windshield-g...llant-gel.html is the second generation product by the inventor of Rain-X (he sold the company) which I have been using for a few years and find it works well and lasts quite a while. Wipers slide easier over the glass and ice does not stick as much.
Old 06-02-15, 12:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I just make sure to keep my windshield as reasonably clean as possible and I have no real issues with the auto wipers. I live in the Seattle area, so I use them a lot!

There are times when I need to take control myself as they're not doing exactly what I want, but I don't think any system could be 100% perfect. Overall I'm pretty impressed with how often they get it right, though.
Old 06-02-15, 01:30 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, a clean windshield is a must. The technology used to sense when there is rain on the windshield isn't unique to Lexus, and is dependent upon how light changes when something is on the glass, so if it's really dusty or dirty, it can present an additional challenge. RainX may help reduce some amount of dust and such from sticking to your windshield between washes, but as Clutchless suggests there are many newer and IMHO better longer-duration products that have come out in the past few years. I use Aquapel with great success -- available on eBay. Check our Auto Care and Detailing forum for more discussion on various glass treatments -- that's where I learned about Aquapel back in the day.
Old 06-02-15, 04:29 PM
kmar
Driver

Personally i do not care for Rain-X or similar products on my windshield, as i prefer the water to sheet off rather than bead up. In the areas where the wipers don't contact the windshield I find it easier to see through that area when it's raining if the water does not bead up. I vigorously cleaned the windshield when I bought the car new in January, so water doesn't bead up very much now. I'll try putting the Rain-X just on the area of the windshield where the sensor is.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Old 06-04-15, 12:13 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kmar
Personally i do not care for Rain-X or similar products on my windshield, as i prefer the water to sheet off rather than bead up. In the areas where the wipers don't contact the windshield I find it easier to see through that area when it's raining if the water does not bead up. I vigorously cleaned the windshield when I bought the car new in January, so water doesn't bead up very much now. I'll try putting the Rain-X just on the area of the windshield where the sensor is.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Strange, I find using Rain X causes the water to sheet off nicely, not bead up at all.
Old 06-04-15, 07:02 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

I agree. The products make your windshield more slippery for water so it runs off faster. There can be streaking issues with some products sometimes when they wear off. I have not had any such problems with Rain Clear.
Old 06-04-15, 09:00 AM
gusar
Driver

Originally Posted by kmar
My new RX 350's auto-rain sensing wiper function doesn't seem to work as well as it should. Often quite a bit of rain will accumulate on the windshield before the wipers will activate. Even on the most sensitive setting the wipers don't swipe as often as they should. I've read many complaints about the auto-rain sensing wipers, and also saw a suggestion of applying Rain-Ex window treatment, at least to the area over the sensor.

The explanation given is that there is an infrared beam from the sensor that "sees" the rain drops.

Any thoughts on whether Rain-Ex will help the rain bead up to the sensor can more easily detect it?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice on this situation.
I also see inconsistency of automatic wiping.Sometimes it takes too long to wipe windshield. Usually gap between wiping increases compare to the beginning (same setting).
I wonder, isn't the sensor in the area of wipers? It should be. In this case what's the matter if initially windshield was clean or dirty?
Old 06-05-15, 06:27 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

We had a similar issue with our 2013 RX, to the point that my lovely wife simple stopped using the automatic setting. A few weeks ago, the sensor literally fell off the windshield. Since I was taking the car in the following day, I let them reattach it. This completely resolved our issue with the automatic wipers not being sensitive enough! I haven't discovered if my wife has started using the automatic setting, though

I might suggest you ask you dealer to reattach the sensor, and see if it helps. I would like to know if others have the same experience.