RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dashcam

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 01:06 AM
iamyourelm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashcam

Does anyone who has a 2015 RX 350 equipped it with a dashcam? If so which model are you using and which power source did you use to hook it up.
Old 06-01-15, 02:11 AM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I use this in my RX:
Amazon.com: DOD TECH LS460W Car Dash Camera (Black): Car Electronics Amazon.com: DOD TECH LS460W Car Dash Camera (Black): Car Electronics

The picture quality is very good including at night. It uses mini-usb, so I connect the usb cable to the usb port inside the center console storage bin. When I'm done with driving, I remove the camera from the windshield and put it in the bin too, pretty convenient. It comes on and off automatically when the engine start/stop, so I never have to press any button.

I used to have a blackvue DR400G-HD, good picture quality and also stable as well. It stopped working after 3-4 years of continuous use, so I replaced with a DR600GW-HD (for my other car). The DR600GW-HD is bulkier than the old one and the picture quality doesn't improve at all. It is also automatic as the LS460W.

When I researched these dashcam, I found that many are not automatic - i.e. you have to press a button to start recording and to stop, and some do not overwrite old footage so you have to clean up regularly, very inconvenient.
Old 06-01-15, 11:15 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

I use a Lukas LK-7700 Pro. I choose this model because I didn't want one with a screen that would take up too much room. This is just a cam, and it fits nicely on the right side/behind my rear view mirror in between the auto high beam camera and the wiper rain sensor. I barely can see it while driving. I tucked the power cord up into the headliner, and along the top in front of the passenger, down the pillar to the floor, under the passenger carpet and up into the arm console for power. The only place the cord is actually visible is 1/2" between the carpet and the plastic door threshold, and about 6" when it pops up beside the passenger seat and then into the arm rest console. Black cord on black armrest, not very noticeable at all.

It simply has a high capacity memory card that I slip out when I want to look at a video on my computer. Includes a free player for PC that give's you your position on a map as you watch and graphs X,Y,Z acceleration data because the video stream has GPS and G-sensor data embedded as well. It's a full HD 30fps camera and the quality is pretty good day or night. Lots of sample videos on the web if you Google it.

It has a motion detector parking mode (which only works if you power it even when vehicle is off), a driving mode which records videos in 3 minute segments continuously, and an event mode which will create a separate video surrounding a motion event (based on the G-sensor). The event mode is a bit sensitive even on the lowest setting, going over a moderate bump will trigger it.

Had it for about 2 yrs now. The only trouble I've had with it is when it's really cold outside dead of winter, sometimes it will crash when it tries to start up. Normally when I start the vehicle it powers itself up and says "This is Lukas Blackbox, recording started" (you can turn this off if you want). When it crashes, it says "This is Lu,lu,lu,lu,lu,lu,lu" for about 30 seconds. But hats off to the designer, it automatically detects a failed start and will reboot itself after 30 seconds. Almost always works after the second boot (once it took 3 tries). Above freezing, works first time every time. If you leave it powered all the time, it will switch between parking mode and driving mode based on GPS data.

Last edited by Droid13; 06-01-15 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-15-15, 06:35 AM
dmilklex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had just installed 2 channel(both front & rear) cameras(aka blackbox). Mine is FINEVu CR-2000Alpha model which cost me around USD300 with 16G MicroSD card as standard. Both cams feature 1920x1080p, 30fps, 136-degree view angle. It uses 2 different power sources, a hot battery power line(during driving) and ACC powerline(during parking with motor off). I used power lines from overhead domelight assembly.
Old 06-16-15, 10:50 AM
dozorca
Driver School Candidate

I've been running Blackvue dash cameras which use Sony sensors that have one of the best night image quality.

http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=27

Wifi, gps, takes 64GB micro-sd cards and never fails.
Old 06-20-15, 02:18 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

I've been using my recycled LG Rev using a windshield mount next to the hardwired V1 mounted under the mirror. It records at 720P and provides decent lighting for our needs (mostly daytime driving).

I'll eventually look at something more sophisticated, like a GoPro, but need to prioritize on the necessities (e.g. running boards to help our kids get to their seats.
Old 06-23-15, 03:04 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have installed a Blackvue dashcam, too, it's the one with two cams (DR-650GW-2CH) which share the same 64 gb SD.
It is expensive, 350 bucks, but it is very well equipped with GPS and wifi connection, and works well, the Blackvue software combines both cameras signal in one HD video. Here a screenshot (reduced to 1/5 of its original size)
Dashcam-3ty3owa.jpg
About the installation, instead of using on of the 12V outlets located under the central armrest, I decided to use the 12 V outlet located in the luggage compartment, since the power cord is long more than enough to get to the main dashcam that I placed under the driver's mirror, as well as the other cord which brings the rear camera video signal back to the main dashcam. I managed to hide the cords under the doors seals and interiors trims, one on the left side, the other one on the right side. It is not a much difficult task, I did it in about an hour, with the help of a couple of theaspoons.. the teaspoon handle is perfect for pushing the cords under the car trims without scratching surfaces or puncturing the cord.
Old 06-24-15, 12:30 AM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a bit concerned about having a rear looking camera because it could be a projectile flying forward if the car hits something and stops suddenly, right? What do you think?
Old 06-24-15, 02:11 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Originally Posted by tqh
I am a bit concerned about having a rear looking camera because it could be a projectile flying forward if the car hits something and stops suddenly, right? What do you think?
It's impossible: the camera is glued with double sided tape to the rear window. In the worst case scenario, that is if your car is badly rear ended, the rear window may broke, and camera fall down. But I believe that RX glasses are laminated, so even in this case there would be a good chance that the camera remain stuck to the broken window.
Old 06-24-15, 07:23 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry if I'm not getting it, but why do folks have these. Is there that much needed to be recorded?
Old 06-24-15, 10:49 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcfancy
Sorry if I'm not getting it, but why do folks have these. Is there that much needed to be recorded?
Here were I live, having recorded the environment may help in case of accident dispute, and insurance issues... it's a matter of security, basically.

I have installed a dashcamera in my 2010 Prius two years ago, it has been already useful a couple of times - people who try to accuse you to having bumped their car, obviously without any basis. You say: ok, let's call the police, I will show my recording to them... magically they disappear.

Furthermore, I have informed the passengers aboard about the fact that all conversations inside the cockpit are duly recorded. A lot of less family discussions in the car, since then. Steril cockpit concept.
Old 06-24-15, 11:30 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While not so common in the US, they're quite common in some other countries.
Old 07-05-15, 12:45 AM
dmilklex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dashcam

Originally Posted by litzdog911
While not so common in the US, they're quite common in some other countries.
Having Dashcam installed in your car helps settle down insurance dispute if involved in traffic accident - recorded video can be used as evidence as to who is at fault at the scene. Also useful is while your car is parked. If someone bumps into your parked cark and run away, you can review the recorded video to identify who the bandit might be, and report it to the police if necessary. Just another form of insurance, I guess.
The following users liked this post:
Whivins (02-17-22)
Old 07-06-15, 04:06 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Really?

I guess you never watch Russia Youtube dashcam videos at all?

How about Liveleak?

Take a look at the real world; you may never drive again

All the best
Old 07-07-15, 05:15 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dozorca
I've been running Blackvue dash cameras which use Sony sensors that have one of the best night image quality.

http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=27

Wifi, gps, takes 64GB micro-sd cards and never fails.
excellent find, Sony sensors are the best!

Quick Reply: Dashcam