RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Customization option: A/C auto switch operation

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 10:14 PM
lili43
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Customization option: A/C auto switch operation

Under the vehicle customization screen there is an option for "A/C auto switch operation"... two options Auto (default) or Manual.... WHAT DOES THIS DO?

(Can't find any info online or in the book...)

THANKS!

Last edited by lili43; 05-30-15 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-31-15, 07:59 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What year is your RX? Your profile indicates you have a 2007 RX, but you're in the 2010-2015 Gen 3 forum. Menus on a Gen3 are quite different than a Gen2. I just went out and looked at the menus on my 2013 dealing with climate control and I don't have the option you're referencing that I can immediately see... Also, if you do have a Gen2 RX, let us know if you have Nav or not -- IIRC (and I could be wrong), options how to control A/C vary based on that as well.

One of the other Mods or I can move your question over to the Gen2 forum if need be, so hopefully folks with the same model as yours can assist if you're in the wrong place.
Old 05-31-15, 08:47 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

For the record, my 2nd gen had a regular button. It didn't have the always-on auto feature like the 3rd gen. I realize that might change with option packages, but I am pretty sure my 2nd gen didn't have that option in the menu. FWIW
Old 05-31-15, 01:26 PM
lili43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
What year is your RX? Your profile indicates you have a 2007 RX, but you're in the 2010-2015 Gen 3 forum. Menus on a Gen3 are quite different than a Gen2. I just went out and looked at the menus on my 2013 dealing with climate control and I don't have the option you're referencing that I can immediately see... Also, if you do have a Gen2 RX, let us know if you have Nav or not -- IIRC (and I could be wrong), options how to control A/C vary based on that as well.

One of the other Mods or I can move your question over to the Gen2 forum if need be, so hopefully folks with the same model as yours can assist if you're in the wrong place.
2013 with NAV.
Old 05-31-15, 01:45 PM
lili43
Driver School Candidate

Here's where the option is:

Setup --> Vehicle --> Vehicle Customization --> Climate Settings

I figured it out though after playing with it!! If you have it ON (default) then the AC will come on when you press Auto. But if you turn it OFF, under customization, then the AC will NOT come on when you press Auto. You'll need to manually select AC under the climate screen. This is perfect for winter or dry climates when outside air is just fine.
Old 05-31-15, 07:37 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darn... I was hoping you'd found a way to turn the AC on and off with a button on the dash. Now that summer is here and I'm using the AC, I realize how annoying it is to go through the Nav screen to switch on or off the AC. I can't imagine what the designers were thinking when choosing not to put a button the the dash. It could be considered a safety hazard as it distracts your attention to accomplish a simple operation.
Old 06-01-15, 01:42 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by kmar
Darn... I was hoping you'd found a way to turn the AC on and off with a button on the dash. Now that summer is here and I'm using the AC, I realize how annoying it is to go through the Nav screen to switch on or off the AC. I can't imagine what the designers were thinking when choosing not to put a button the the dash. It could be considered a safety hazard as it distracts your attention to accomplish a simple operation.
I posted this solution In July 2014:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-c-button.html

Enjoy
Old 06-02-15, 01:14 PM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I understand....you don't have a AC button on your dash that turns the AC off?

novaman
Old 06-02-15, 01:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I just leave mine in AUTO all of the time and don't worry about it. My IS has the A/C button and I don't think I've ever touched it.
Old 06-02-15, 01:35 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I just leave mine in AUTO all of the time and don't worry about it. My IS has the A/C button and I don't think I've ever touched it.
Me too. Auto is on 99.9% of the time in both of my rides -- even if it may cost me a bit of MPG some parts of the year, but it's my little bit of luxury I treat myself to, having a computer control my cabin climate and not have to generally try to out-think it. If anything, I change the temperature up or down a couple of degrees depending on outside temp and what I'm wearing or doing -- and just let Auto deal with my comfort in that way.
Old 06-02-15, 07:45 PM
kmar
Driver

Originally Posted by novaman
I'm not sure I understand....you don't have a AC button on your dash that turns the AC off?

novaman
No, there's no button on the dash to simply turn the AC on and off. There's a button to put it into thr AUTO mode. To turn the AC on and off you must use the navigation screen, go to menu, climate, then select AC on or off. Crazy eh? I'm not the only one who finds this to be annoying. I might try leaving it in Auto mode as others have suggested.
Old 06-03-15, 04:44 AM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

No, there's no button on the dash to simply turn the AC on and off. There's a button to put it into thr AUTO mode. To turn the AC on and off you must use the navigation screen, go to menu, climate, then select AC on or off. Crazy eh? I'm not the only one who finds this to be annoying. I might try leaving it in Auto mode as others have suggested.
Thanks for clearing that up. My 2015 RX has a separate AC button as well as the Auto button for climate control. Nevertheless, I leave mine in (auto button for climate) in auto all the time and adjust the temperature if need be.

novaman
Old 06-03-15, 09:07 AM
kmar
Driver

Thanks for clearing that up. My 2015 RX has a separate AC button as well as the Auto button for climate control. Nevertheless, I leave mine in (auto button for climate) in auto all the time and adjust the temperature if need be.

novaman
Do you have the navigation system on your RX?
Old 06-04-15, 06:53 PM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

Do you have the navigation system on your RX?
Actually I was mistaken about having separate AC button. I do not have a separate AC button. Beside the Auto climate button it's an off button. I guess when I made post # 12 I was thinking of my Lincoln LS as it has a separate AC button as well as an Auto button. Sorry for the confusion. Nevertheless, yes I have navigation.

novaman
Old 06-04-15, 07:54 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually I was mistaken about having separate AC button. I do not have a separate AC button. Beside the Auto climate button it's an off button. I guess when I made post # 12 I was thinking of my Lincoln LS as it has a separate AC button as well as an Auto button. Sorry for the confusion. Nevertheless, yes I have navigation.

novaman
That is one thing the '13+ owners get to enjoy,

A separate OFF button. My '01 RX and '06 ES had one, what happened with our '10-12's?

Quick Reply: Customization option: A/C auto switch operation