RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Extended Warranty (RX350)

Old 05-18-15, 03:29 PM
poisonibee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty (RX350)

Hi - I got my 2013 RX 350 AWD used from the dealership. I'm only 35K miles in but got a call the other day about extended warranty. How many of you purchased, and if so, can you share the cost and coverage information? I'm being 'offered' a 4 year/100K warranty with $0 deductible for $1,800 by Omnisure and Marathon is the administrator. Coverage is (supposed to be) similar to factory warranty (everything except wear and tear items).

I've never purchased (or needed) extended warranty but this is also my first vehicle in which mostly everything is electronic/computer-controlled.
Old 05-18-15, 04:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

poisonibee, welcome to CL and congrats on your RX. We have multiple threads on extended warranties including this one. I'd suggest you take a look at it and some of the others. Not too many people go with aftermarket companies. BTW, you have until the basic warranty expires to purchase it. Based on the miles and age of your 350, you have time. It's definitely worth using some of that to read through the forum and see what kind of issues other members have had before you make your decision. Hope that helps.
Old 05-18-15, 04:45 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,205 Likes on 955 Posts

It's not uncommon to get phone calls and mail from aftermarket insurance companies that imply they are Lexus generated offers. You may wish to talk with your Lexus dealer about what Lexus
can offer and even other Lexus dealers in other towns and states for the best deal. A Lexus backed warranty is more reliable than many third party companies, just do some research online about complaints and loopholes with third party companies. That being said, Lexus is one of the most reliable brands out there. I'm on my third Lexus and haven't had more than typical repairs after higher mileage such as water pump, a/c compressor and a cracked dash that Lexus finally did a recall for and reimbursed me.
Old 05-18-15, 06:50 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Stay away from third party warranty. They frequently go under and your money is gone (learned from the school of hard knocks). Stick only with factory extended warranty if you choose to get one at all. We had one on our 2010 rx350 and broke even when they had to fix an oil seal leak at 75k miles. Not sure I'd get another one honestly.
Old 05-19-15, 05:27 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, to chime in on what others have said... If you decide the piece-of-mind and budgeted outlay of cash is what you want by having an extended warranty, great -- several of us have made that choice, but it's not for everyone as it is just an insurance policy betting you'll have a failure after the basic warranty expires -- and most of us know how reliable most of our RXs continue to be. ...but, IMHO, I would never buy an aftermarket extended warranty when I had the opportunity to buy one from Lexus directly. The Lexus version is as simple and no-hassle a process to make a claim as a normal warranty situation is -- no calls or photo/paperwork submission for pre-authorization to some company that is open only weekdays and times-of-day; no worries if the company is going to be out-of-business when it comes time for you to make a claim; no co-pays or cash out of your pocket that you have to then submit paperwork to hopefully be reimbursed with; and if you buy the Lexus Platinum version (only one I've ever had or recommend), nearly all the same components covered during normal warranty are included. As has been said, there are many horror stories about 3rd-Party Extended Warranty companies not being around when it comes time to make a claim, and the difficulties and delays some have had when it comes time to make a claim. IMHO, none of that is a challenge with the Lexus version.

As Anita suggested, do a quick search and look at the extensive other threads here on this subject. There have been many good discussions on the pros and cons, as well as other folks' experience. Enjoy that RX!
Old 05-19-15, 06:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like having the peace of mind with an extended warranty.
However,the extended warranty would have to be a discounted Lexus Platinum warranty and never an aftermarket extended warranty.
You can get a discounted Lexus Platinum extended warranty like through Toby Rivers of Lexus of Shreveport.
I've bought a warranty from him.Do a search on him for info.
Old 05-19-15, 07:02 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I like having the peace of mind with an extended warranty.
However,the extended warranty would have to be a discounted Lexus Platinum warranty and never an aftermarket extended warranty.
You can get a discounted Lexus Platinum extended warranty like through Toby Rivers of Lexus of Shreveport.
I've bought a warranty from him.Do a search on him for info.
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Thanks Joeb427
Old 06-26-15, 02:49 PM
poisonibee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I cancelled the third party extended warranty and will do more research on options when I'm closer to the end of my factory warranty.

As a side note, it really opened my eyes to how big of a scam some of these things can be. I read through the warranty info on the mail, which came with a bottle of 'enginge protectant' that they had said on the phone was a gift. But in the wording of the warranty, it actually says that the warranty is null and void if you did not use the engine protectant!!! So crazy.
Old 06-26-15, 02:54 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Discount Lexus Platinum warranty.

Toby Rivers
Lexus of Shreveport
1-800-335-3987
tobytoyota@aol.com
Old 06-27-15, 06:30 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default I'm 0 for 2

Bought an extended warranty thru VW on my (you guessed it) VW. Tranny failed two months after the warranty time extended (had a zilliion miles left on the warranty).

Bought an extended warranty thru BMW on my Z4. Didn't cover the $1,300 water-filled headlight nor did it cover an issue between the u-joint yoke and rear differential.

Not one of the failures that I had with those cars was covered under those "premium" warranties.

Considered an extended Lexus warranty a year ago on my 2013 RXh. Talked with the Guru at my servicing dealership about it. I asked for the details in writing - so he wrote the price on the back of his buisness card.

After some letters lately from Lexus and some calls from third-party vendors, I called the dealership with my "special discount number" and talked with their Guru.

He advised me that my 3/36000 warranty was about to expire (I've put 34,000 miles on the car in 18 months) and offered me their premium 5-year 125,000 policy for a MERE Thirty Six Hundred and Fifteen Dollars !!!

The kicker is that the policy starts from the date (actually thirty days later) of purchase - and that means that my 4/50,000 mile (not 3/36,000 as the Guru told me) warranty would be in effect during the time for which I'd be paying for the extended warranty.

Based upon my driving history, I'll run out of my 4/50,000 in another nine months - and I'll be in Florida (near my absolutely wonderful selling dealership - JM Lexus) and talk with them.

The warranty offered to me is, per the policy this guy actually sent to me, "...insured by a reimbursement insurance policy issued by Wesco Insurance Company, 59 Maiden lane, 43rd Floor, New York, NY...".

I was expecting a policy/coverage offered by the Dealership would be a Lexus-backed policy.

This deal smells funny to me.

I'd like a policy - but I'm not sure this is the one.
Old 06-27-15, 07:21 AM
BertL

Nate, as I've stated in posts before, I like an extended warranty for the piece of mind and potential budgeting it provides me. I've had over half of my policies where I ended-up with claims, so I get what that means to my bank account where I never made a claim. Others will disagree with what I consider benefits -- it's all an insurance game -- and we each make our choices. BUT, given my experience with now 4 different extended warranty companies over the years, I would never go with a 3rd party when I could have a Lexus Platinum Service Agreement -- IMHO the Lexus coverage is better than MBZ or BMW's mfgr version as well. I see too many possible gotcha's and horror stories with 3rd party policies, and I've never had a claim issue with a Lexus version the few times I've needed to use it -- from my (overly simplistic) POV, the Platinum Policy effectively continues what I know as my standard Lexus Warranty when the 4 years is up -- same claim procedures and nearly the same coverage, and just like coverage under standard warranty, there is never a discussion, pre-authorization, or additional paperwork for me to fill out. I believe the Lexus Platinum Plan is available to owners with less than 50K and 4 years on the ODO. The Lexus Platinum Service Agreement on my 2013 RX450h is for a total of 8 years/75K/0-deductible, and will likely outlast the time I own the vehicle, so with my low annual mileage, I only have to worry about basic maintenance costs for all that time, and I'll get a little refund check for the months I don't use on the Policy once I trade or sell the RXh.

Again, more detail from me in previous posts, but the one exception where I've had a 3rd party extended warranty was on my BMW convertible, and I elected to do that when I closely read the BMW terms for there gold/platinum (or whatever it was called) extended warranty before purchase, and found they did NOT cover anything related to the hardtop convertible, it's motors, hinges, etc -- whereas the 3rd Party version did. I have had no such coverage exception issues when I last reviewed the Platinum Plan T&C, including when I had it on my SC430 where all 11 motors, $2800 hinges, etc of it's hardtop were all covered by the Lexus version, but not 3rd parties. The BMW Dealership and even BMW when I first called their National Customer Service line both believed the hardtop was covered, until I pointed them to the detail in their own terms. My point here ... read the exclusions list and compare before you sign on the dotted line if you get any 3rd party version, or if you can't do that, at least ensure you have the ability to cancel the policy and get 100% of your money back within a short period of time so you CAN review the fine print without the pressure of someone looking over your shoulder or across the desk from you. Lexus info is HERE (looks like you'd have to go to the dealer and have them print the terms to see detail T&C in advance.)

...IMHO, $3600 for a 3rd party warranty is ridiculously outta sight. While I personally never talk prices with all their variables on these forums, and how it opens one up for snipy comments from others, I'll make an exception here for you. My 8-yr/50K Lexus Platinum cost me something like $1850 on my RX450h 3 years ago which was about $50 over dealership cost (at least that's what the GM said after several back-and-forths between me and the Finance person), but my local dealer matched the same price I had hardcopy printed to show them from two of the "internet sales guys" selling Lexus policies over the net at the time... I suspect that finance guy you talked to would have a mighty fine bonus come his way if you bite, and be taking a great vacation drinking too many margaritas at your expense. I think it may be time for you to physically go to a dealership or two, ready-to-buy, read and negotiate vs do the telephone game.

Good luck.
Old 06-27-15, 07:21 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

JOEB427 post number 9 has handed us an opportunity on a platter.
Old 06-27-15, 07:27 AM
BertL

Someone please report back if you are still able to actually buy a Lexus Service Agreement "over the phone" from an out-of-state dealer. It used to be possible for sure, but from other threads, I've been left with the impression that Lexus has shut that down in recent months, just as they perhaps have with dealers selling discounted parts via the net. Having current experience posted here would benefit us all. THX in advance.
Old 06-27-15, 07:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BertL
Someone please report back if you are still able to actually buy a Lexus Service Agreement "over the phone" from an out-of-state dealer. It used to be possible for sure, but from other threads, I've been left with the impression that Lexus has shut that down in recent months, just as they perhaps have with dealers selling discounted parts via the net.

Still available as of 2-3 months ago from Toby Rivers.I bought one in January/Feb over the phone which was long after Troy and Jerry stopped selling.May buy another on a '15 RX I bought recently.
I'm told he can sell warranties because they have both Lexus and a Toyota dealer.
Troy Dietrich and Jerry Johnson was just Toyota dealers.
BS reason,I don't know.

I just sent an email for a warranty cost for my RX.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-27-15 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 07:48 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Bert:

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post.

BTW: when I looked at policies a few years back, I couldn't find one that would cover any repairs due to a failure of, let alone pay the cost of repairs for, a timing belt.

My recollection was that those policies' exclusions limited anything related to a failure of a part that was not an "internally-lubricated" part; and since the timing belt - while it's arguably "internal" to the engine, is not a "lubricated" part.

Slippery suckers, they are.

Other policies that I've read specifically exclude parts that have "overheated".

Overheated?!?

Gimme a break! Doesn't nearly any part get hot during it's failure? Does the Chicken and the Egg argument apply?

Could that mean that a failed transistor - (Definition: a transistor is merely a containment vessel that contains a quantity of smoke under pressure; When the transistor heats up and leaks out the smoke, it is defined as having failed. ) - could be interpreted as having "overheated" - and, therefore, excluded from the warranty?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty (RX350)