Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Power folding mirrors

Old 05-18-15, 09:47 AM   #1
thelew67
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Power folding mirrors

Has anyone tried to convert their mirrors to power folding, is it possible. With reasonable cost.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
thelew67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-15, 12:03 PM   #2
Marqevans
Lead Lap

I have them from the factory, but don't use them all that much. They would be most useful when backing out of the garage as I have a single car door the extra clearance would be welcomed. The problem is I need them open to back out of the garage to be sure I have clearance on both sides of the car.
Marqevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-15, 12:06 PM   #3
lexus114
Lexus Champion

i use them in parking lots all the time marqevans

2012 Mercedes-Benz C300 4 Matic Sport Sedan (wife`s car)
lexus114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-15, 12:33 PM   #4
titomang
Rookie

Someone here has done it. You can run a search. If I recall correctly he got the complete L & R mirror assembly and the switch. Everything is plug and play.

If you want to be cost effective on this mod then I would just get the power folding motor assembly for the L & R mirror and swap it into your existing mirror.
titomang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-15, 01:37 PM   #5
vlad_a
Lexus Test Driver

Anything is possible with the right amount of money and time.
Is there any particular reason you would want this feature?
Mine fold automatically, but we them to see if the RX is locked or not.
That's about it. You could say that being folder will protect them from snow, but the ice gets into the moving parts, so that's a moot point.
vlad_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-15, 04:21 PM   #6
rayaans
Lead Lap

Mine is from the factory too. Im sure it would be quite simple to get it done but not too sure how.

The main benefits for me - checking the car is locked, protection from kids and idiot drivers who could knock them off and from car doors in the car park!
Old 05-19-15, 07:50 AM   #7
vlad_a
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayaans View Post
Mine is from the factory too. Im sure it would be quite simple to get it done but not too sure how.

The main benefits for me - checking the car is locked, protection from kids and idiot drivers who could knock them off and from car doors in the car park!
This feature was created for Europeans who are used to less [personal] space than Americans.
The question still stands, in the land of big parking spaces and no pedestrians, is it really that important?
vlad_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 08:49 AM   #8
Clutchless
Pole Position

You could possibly find a used set at Rancho Cordoba Lexus Recycling, or eBay. I had them on my 2008 MINI Cooper and rarely used them.
Old 05-20-15, 05:54 AM   #9
BertL

I agree with rayaans, and love the folding mirrors on my RX as well as SLK.

Oddly, the little SLK is even wider than my RX when it's mirrors are out, so it almost mandates I put the mirrors in or I literally have 2" of clearance going into and out of the one-car side of my garage where it is generally parked. My not-as-wide RX does not have the same problem as the SLK when I've moved it to the single-car side of my garage a few times, but putting the mirrors in with the push of a button makes my anxiety level go down when I pull in and out.

Also, while some parking spaces here in the US are larger that what I've seen in my travels to the UK and Europe, in my experience, not all are -- it depends on local ordinances and their minimum parking stall width, as well as how many stalls the developer must have to meet code based on building usage and square footage. We also have lots of pedestrians here in SoCal where I live, especially in busy parking lots, and some of them are malicious thugs, or just people that don't care about other people's property like I try to.

So for me and my RX, folding mirrors are the primary visual queue to know when my vehicle is locked, but as importantly, they slow down malicious pedestrians from twisting non-motorized mirrors back in the wrong direction (that has happened to me multiple times in different states and cities). When the mirrors are folded-back, it also reduces the width of the vehicle so that adjoining car doors don't whack the mirror (they can hit the side of the door easier instead ). Two recent examples on separate occassions where I was early for a dentist appt, parked in the center of my stall with the windows up listening to the radio of my RX (and the mirrors were out), when:
  • An elevated F350 pulled in on my passenger side and whacked my side mirror with his door as he tried to get out because of how big and high his truck was
  • An older couple pulled in the wrong direction in their stall next to me and proceeded to open the door of their massive old cadillac or some such car. The guy threw his door open and his window whacked my mirror preventing him from getting out. I moved my mirrors in, he got out, and we shared a little moment together.
So, for me, given a choice, I will always have folding mirrors on all of my future vehicles. I like the visual cue and helping reduce the width of my vehicle when parked in lots seems to reduce the opportunity for damage or perhaps makes a fellow driver/pedestrian next to me have a little easier day by providing more space between us. ...just my own view, and to each our own.

Present: '13 RX450h - the Daily Driver; '14 Mercedes SLK250 (R172) - My Toy
Past: '06 RX400h; '09 BMW 335i (E93); '02 SC430; '99 RX300; '95 SC300; '91 Acura Legend ...and a few before that
Visit my personal website BertsPlace.net and the Automobiles section

Last edited by BertL; 05-20-15 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: spelling!
BertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 01:12 PM   #10
Marqevans
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
I agree with rayaans, and love the folding mirrors on my RX as well as SLK.

Oddly, the little SLK is even wider than my RX when it's mirrors are out, so it almost mandates I put the mirrors in or I literally have 2" of clearance going into and out of the one-car side of my garage where it is generally parked. My not-as-wide RX does not have the same problem as the SLK when I've moved it to the single-car side of my garage a few times, but putting the mirrors in with the push of a button makes my anxiety level go down when I pull in and out.

Also, while some parking spaces here in the US are larger that what I've seen in my travels to the UK and Europe, in my experience, not all are -- it depends on local ordinances and their minimum parking stall width, as well as how many stalls the developer must have to meet code based on building usage and square footage. We also have lots of pedestrians here in SoCal where I live, especially in busy parking lots, and some of them are malicious thugs, or just people that don't care about other people's property like I try to.

So for me and my RX, folding mirrors are the primary visual queue to know when my vehicle is locked, but as importantly, they slow down malicious pedestrians from twisting non-motorized mirrors back in the wrong direction (that has happened to me multiple times in different states and cities). When the mirrors are folded-back, it also reduces the width of the vehicle so that adjoining car doors don't whack the mirror (they can hit the side of the door easier instead ). Two recent examples on separate occassions where I was early for a dentist appt, parked in the center of my stall with the windows up listening to the radio of my RX (and the mirrors were out), when:
  • An elevated F350 pulled in on my passenger side and whacked my side mirror with his door as he tried to get out because of how big and high his truck was
  • An older couple pulled in the wrong direction in their stall next to me and proceeded to open the door of their massive old cadillac or some such car. The guy threw his door open and his window whacked my mirror preventing him from getting out. I moved my mirrors in, he got out, and we shared a little moment together.
So, for me, given a choice, I will always have folding mirrors on all of my future vehicles. I like the visual cue and helping reduce the width of my vehicle when parked in lots seems to reduce the opportunity for damage or perhaps makes a fellow driver/pedestrian next to me have a little easier day by providing more space between us. ...just my own view, and to each our own.
I give! I just set the automatic button back to "on". Hope it doesn't lessen the life of my battery. LOL
Marqevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 03:04 PM   #11
BertL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqevans View Post
I give! I just set the automatic button back to "on". Hope it doesn't lessen the life of my battery. LOL
. I did it once again. I won someone over with an all too long post! (...but you'll be happy with your decision to turn the mirrors back to automatic, I'm sure.)

Present: '13 RX450h - the Daily Driver; '14 Mercedes SLK250 (R172) - My Toy
Past: '06 RX400h; '09 BMW 335i (E93); '02 SC430; '99 RX300; '95 SC300; '91 Acura Legend ...and a few before that
Visit my personal website BertsPlace.net and the Automobiles section
BertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 03:29 PM   #12
Tom558
Pole Position

We like the folding mirrors on our RX. We fold the mirrors when going through a power wash (very seldom as we use a hand wash place here in town). Knowing the car has been locked/is locked from a distance is probably the major advantage. I can recall the mirror(s) getting messed with on our Highlander but it has not happened on the RX.

Mine = 2012 Kia Sportage ~ Pretty Basic

Hell, if I could explain it to the average person, it wouldn't have been worth the Nobel prize. Richard Feynman
Tom558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 07:09 PM   #13
novaman
Driver School Candidate

I have the power folding mirrors. I like to use them when I'm pulling into my garage. It helps from touching the door casing. My previous car was a Lincoln MKX and it didn't have the power folding mirrors and I hit the door casing at least twice with it. Also like others have stated it's nice to be able at a glance see if the doors locked and alarm is on. Other then those two reasons they are not big deal.

novaman
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 07:09 PM