RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New 2016 Volvo XC90 vs. New 2015 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 08:58 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Just how much safer are Volvos these days. years ago, Volvo really had the edge as far as safety is concerned. The auto industry as a whole have made hugh progress as far as safety is concerned. I truely believe that the new Volvos are not that much safer than other high end cars. Volvo is in big trouble, they have lost their only selling point which is safety. Recently, they have try to make sedans that performance well, but speed and safety does not sell.
I agree. Volvo has lost their selling points these years. For exmaple, the blind spot warning system has been introduced by other vehicles, too. So do other safety features. Most of cars can now pass the high stardard tests in NHTSA and get the high scores. Volvo isn't the only one.
Old 12-02-13, 10:01 AM
goodgal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked at the new lexus and new audi's and mdx competitive to the new Volvo XC60 (2014) I was set on the lexus. Bought the Volvo. I look at things men don't care about lol. The doors when open I noticed the Volvo looked sportier and more luxurious. The lexus doors were blah to me and old style. I drove an Acura MDX for 6 years after 2007 redesign and just sold it. I kinda regret it. It never gave me a moment's trouble! I did not go with the new MDX redesign due to the dual screens. Too much distraction. If they ever go back to the single screen I am all in. Several in my family drive athe lexus rdx and love it. It was certainly in my top 3. I hope I enjoy the volvo for at least 4 years. It does have the "soccermom" tag which I am not since my kids are grown. They have made the interior more luxurious which is why I did not go with the Lexus as planned. Anyone else driving a 2014 XC60? So far mileage is what is expected. Have taken 2 long trips driving consistently ~70-75mph and good gas mileage thus far. Around town pretty close to expected.
Old 12-02-13, 03:54 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by goodgal
Looked at the new lexus and new audi's and mdx competitive to the new Volvo XC60 (2014) I was set on the lexus. Bought the Volvo. I look at things men don't care about lol. The doors when open I noticed the Volvo looked sportier and more luxurious. The lexus doors were blah to me and old style. I drove an Acura MDX for 6 years after 2007 redesign and just sold it. I kinda regret it. It never gave me a moment's trouble! I did not go with the new MDX redesign due to the dual screens. Too much distraction. If they ever go back to the single screen I am all in. Several in my family drive athe lexus rdx and love it. It was certainly in my top 3. I hope I enjoy the volvo for at least 4 years. It does have the "soccermom" tag which I am not since my kids are grown. They have made the interior more luxurious which is why I did not go with the Lexus as planned. Anyone else driving a 2014 XC60? So far mileage is what is expected. Have taken 2 long trips driving consistently ~70-75mph and good gas mileage thus far. Around town pretty close to expected.
Did you just finish watching the Twilight series?
congratulations on your purchase!
i believe you made an informed decision, and that's important.
one thing you forgot to mention is Exclusivity.
For every 1 XC60, there's probably 15 RX350, 10 BMW X5 , 7 MDX/RDX and 3 Audi Q5

Last edited by markrivers; 12-03-13 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-02-13, 05:31 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Volvo forum; ugly cars when safe; now strictly soccer mom where I live....
Old 12-03-13, 08:16 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at it too, briefly, but decided on the Lexus. Partly because a good family friend has one of the Volvos and they said they are very displeased with the car. They claim that the gas mileage is horrible because the car has "full time 4 wheel drive", which you can't turn off. Either way, they said it is a guzzler. They tried to get rid of it recently because of extremely high repair and maintenence costs, but resale/tradein was horrible- on par with the low value of ford vehicles (generally speaking). I am not saying they are bad cars- I am sure they are safe, but there were too many red flags for me to buy one.
Old 12-06-13, 07:46 PM
elba123
Rookie

I really wanted to buy the xc60 because I liked the shape, triptronic like transmission and safety features like adaptive cruise control that costs a ton in lexus, automatic braking in case pedestrians or bikes come in front accidentally, auto braking in the freeway, bsm etc. However, after hearing horror stories about high annual repair costs, I purchased the rx350. Totally agree with the comment that rx350 is way too commonplace these days. That's the only downside driving one.

Last edited by elba123; 12-07-13 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-07-13, 08:59 AM
elba123
Rookie

One more thing I remember from the test drive is that the XC60 was bumpy over rough roads compared to my Dodge Caravan or Ford Taurus. The salesman told me European cars have stiffer suspensions than Japanese and American cars. My RX is smooth as butter! !!
Old 12-09-13, 08:02 AM
goodgal
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I looked at it too, briefly, but decided on the Lexus. Partly because a good family friend has one of the Volvos and they said they are very displeased with the car. They claim that the gas mileage is horrible because the car has "full time 4 wheel drive", which you can't turn off. Either way, they said it is a guzzler. They tried to get rid of it recently because of extremely high repair and maintenence costs, but resale/tradein was horrible- on par with the low value of ford vehicles (generally speaking). I am not saying they are bad cars- I am sure they are safe, but there were too many red flags for me to buy one.

I have the front wheel drive. So far so good with the gas mileage or at least no surprises yet. I had also heard to avoid the all wheel version. Main tipping point is safety and the Top Pick plus rating. The extra crash test sold m somewhat because that is the type accident most have with a poor outcome. When and if the Lexus has a redesign in 3-4 years I will definitely be revisiting that option. Reading it seems 2015-2016 has alot of redesigns across the board coming.
Old 05-13-15, 05:43 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New 2016 Volvo XC90 vs. New 2015 Lexus RX

I'll start by saying that I've never owned a European vehicle, and only owned a couple of domestics due to terrible reliability. I had a chance to drive the new Volvo XC90 and was absolutely blown away. It reminded me of a smaller version of the Lexus GX's that I owned (2004 and 2007). The interior fit and finish is amazing, the ride was very "Lexus" like and it just exuded luxury. The quality of the leather and the comfort of both the front and rear seats were amazing. Additionally, the iPad style console interface was awesome, as well and really had an iPad feel with response and function. If that had been a Lexus, I would have bought it on the spot and paid MSRP.

Now my quandry... Volvo isn't know as the most reliable car company on the planet, yet, I've also read of issues with new generation Lexus vehicles. Additionally, I'm not sure I like where Lexus is heading with it's entire line of vehicles, sort of an Asian testosterone festival. It seems that Lexus has parted from it's simplistically luxurious interiors to boisterous, edgy looks. I hate to say it, but I think I'm losing faith in the brand. It's one thing to be known as a reliable brand, but when the design starts to look like ***, I can't help but to look elsewhere......

Last edited by jugdish; 05-13-15 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 04:46 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like you already made up your mind - get the Volvo.

Being a European brand, reliability will stink, thats a given. In the UK, Volvo barely sells any vehicles compared to Lexus, themselves massively trailing behind the Germans.

I personally think that Lexus is doing a fantastic job at the moment, their sales in the UK alone have massively increased due to the arrival of the NX and IS.

The problem with Volvo is that, in the UK atleast, their engines suck, the only petrol they offer is a 2.0l and the diesel is unrefined. Also, in my eyes, it appears that Volvo have run out of ideas and I think the XC90 looks like a wagon on bigger wheels with deeper bumpers.

I just think it looks too dull and rear heavy, sort of like a minivan. If you want a car to blend into the background, its probably a good option as it looks like its a few years old already.

Last edited by rayaans; 05-14-15 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 07:05 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default A Volvo Story

My best friend and work colleague bought what I felt was an expensive new Volvo wagon about 4 years ago (I believe it was an XC70). I had warned her about questionable reliability but like many, she was making the decision based on all the safety prowess touted by Volvo. And since it would be under a 4-yr warranty, she would incur no expense if something went awry.

Lesson learned: Every time something in her new wagon broke, the dealership gave her a rather small, dreary loaner to drive...because spare parts to repair her wagon had to come from Sweden. That's something I didn't know. She was told by another perturbed customer in the waiting room that Volvo dealers just don't sell enough cars to afford the stockpiling of spare parts.

So in the first year of my friend's ownership the radio quit working three times; the dealer couldn't repair them, had to order replacement radios from Sweden. She eventually told the service manager she'd rather drive her wagon with a dead radio than squeeze into the clunky loaner (which bore the name of the Volvo dealer in HUGE white letters covering the rear window).

The 4th radio worked. But there were other more serious issues I never asked her about (serious because I would see a loaner in the parking lot quite a bit). When I once rode with her in the wagon in year two, I was amazed at all the rattles, engine whine and road noise she was putting up with (it's no wonder she needed a working radio to drown out all that racket!). Of course, we were SAFE (I guess).

It could have been worse...at least she didn't buy a Saab.

After 2 years she traded her load of junk for a Prius (and was shocked/dismayed at how much the Volvo had depreciated). She says the Prius actually has more power than her Volvo -- and cost half as much. Not one problem so far...and the radio works.

So maybe I've just been lucky or spoiled over the years by 8 terrific Lexi, where the only issue I have ever had was the auto trans in a '06 GS whose shift points needed tweaking. Electronically. Estimated repair & road test time was half an hour but they just handed me keys to a new RX so I could get to work on time. I've never even opened the hood on any of these cars. I know safety is a huge issue, especially for young families with precious kid-cargo; but reliability, confidence and value have become the norm for me, and I steer everyone I know to the Toyota or Lexus dealer.

My cars come and go because I love trading for something new, but the new is always gonna be a Lexus. From the same dealer. Who always gives me a good deal (they certify my trade-ins). And now I'm just waiting for the new RX this fall. Tick tock.
Old 05-15-15, 02:46 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rayaans
I personally think that Lexus is doing a fantastic job at the moment, their sales in the UK alone have massively increased due to the arrival of the NX and IS.

The problem with Volvo is that, in the UK atleast, their engines suck, the only petrol they offer is a 2.0l and the diesel is unrefined. Also, in my eyes, it appears that Volvo have run out of ideas and I think the XC90 looks like a wagon on bigger wheels with deeper bumpers.
Volvo as a brand is going thru a major refresh right now, and the XC90 is first out, just like Lexus did with the CT and new IS.

I have testdriven the XC90 and this one is really a top model in every way. I tested the diesel and I can assure you that no lack of refinement exists. And every single euro car maker will have smaller 3 and 4 cyl in upcoming cars, X5 25d ( 4 cyl 218 hp) is already here. The T8 AWD hybrid is the really exciting one.

But I would not buy the first year of this car, thats true ! If you want reliability then buy Lexus RX. With its 10 year old V6 it simply cant fail. But I would really have a hard time paying that kind of money that RX will cost in Europe for the previous gen hybrid system or V6. But thats just me

Last edited by Mr Bond; 05-15-15 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-15-15, 03:17 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes but Volvo is heavily stigmatised as a car the old folk drive. Lexus has successfully changed its "boring" stigma in Europe which shows by its sales figures which have rocketed.

Btw the RX450h F-Sport is cheaper than the Volvo XC90 here in Europe

The T8 costs £63k so with options it's about £70k. An RX450H Premier which has everything is £56k. That's a huge difference.

Last edited by rayaans; 05-15-15 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 04:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If u need to make purchase now, then go for the xc90. If u can wait then wait to compare both in real life and not a bunch of anecdotal logs or accounts of car no one has driven.

I also tested the xc90 t6. The refinement of the interior is bar none. Leather dash, high quality materials, best infotainment system next only to a Tesla. There's a second row of rear seats and u can pick this car up in Sweden
The safety tech is also pretty impressive (s class impressive).

It's not a drivers car if I compare it to a x5 or cayenne but it does safety and luxury perfectly. (When the r design or active suspension model comes in ill revist it). Exhaust note is not the best 4 banger but it's a great delivery of power.

The big burning question is that whether or not badge *****s can live with the fact their car is a Volvo. Volvo is safety mobile that grandparents drive, but with the XC90 their moving upmarket. Currently if u need the euro badge then stick with a trifecta of German mobile. Lexus has done alot to improve their badge identity to separate themselves from Acura and Infiniti

Last edited by coolsaber; 05-16-15 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 07:43 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

We own a 2011 Volvo XC60 and a 2015 Lexus RX350.
No problems with the Volvo. I would not hesitate to buy one again.

Quick Reply: New 2016 Volvo XC90 vs. New 2015 Lexus RX