RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

AC not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 05:21 AM
actman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC not working

I had a garage connect a computer to my 2013 rx350. It reported AC problem. It does not say what is wrong with it. Does anyone know what that actually checks on the AC ?
I don't get cold air so I bought an AC kit to try and recharge it.
Old 05-13-15, 06:30 AM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be many different things wrong. First check the fuses for the a/c system and compressor. Does it blow warm air only? then most likely its out of refrigerant or your compressor is not working. If its blowing warm air then u can try to add some refrigerant and see if it gets cold. You can add some refrigerant to the low side line and see if the air gets cold. Turn the A/c on to max and add I would say add about 3/4 can of refrigerant to test . Locate the compressor and see if comes on during the test. If the air gets cold then u have a leak that needs to be fixed. If the compressor does not come on at all during the test then u have another problem that may have to be checked out by a qualified person.
Old 05-13-15, 06:30 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

What mileage is your RX? How far over 50K miles are you? Is your Lexus salvaged or has it been in an accident?
The reason I ask is that if you are slightly past the warranty period, Lexus could free-will the repair for you.
Old 05-13-15, 07:48 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

The computers read codes that help the tech figure out what additional tests to run to determine the actual problem. The codes often will not provide the final answer.
Why did you not have the garage do further diagnostics?
Old 05-13-15, 01:44 PM
actman
Driver School Candidate

My suv is a rebuild. It only has 4000 miles on it. Im going to check the fuse and if need be recharge it. More then likely I have a leak. At that point I will need to get it tested out. The garages want a lot of money just to look at it.
Old 05-13-15, 01:47 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Did you get any warranty by the body shop that did the rebuild? They probably screwed-up somewhere.
Old 05-13-15, 02:05 PM
actman
Driver School Candidate

This was sold to me as is and as usual buyer beware! It was winter so I did not check the AC. I had some other issues so I had a garage connect a diagnostic computer and it told me to check the AC. I'm hoping the compressor is ok.
Old 05-19-15, 10:15 AM
actman
Driver School Candidate

Default update

I checked the fuses and they are all good. I connected my AC hose with gage and there is no pressure in the system. I tried to install a can and it would not take it. Had the AC on high but did not hear the clutch in the compressor at all. I guess its in to the garage to find out what is wrong.
Old 05-26-15, 02:49 PM
actman
Driver School Candidate

Turns out the condenser had holes in it. I now have air however I have to turn the temp all the way to LO setting and the AC comes on. If I select Auto and set it at 65 or higher the AC turns off. I can go into Menu and turn AC on but it turns off Auto. Is there something wrong or am I doing it wrong? Thought like my other cars I could just set Auto at 68 and the air would come on when required. Also after the mechanic fixed the air the outside temp reads totally wrong.
Old 05-26-15, 02:52 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

The AC should be ON all the time, especially in Auto. It is a pain to turn it off.
This must be related to your outside temp readings. Tech must have messed up the temp sensor.
Old 05-26-15, 03:07 PM
actman
Driver School Candidate

Do you think the outside temp display is really related to the AC? The mechanic who fixed the AC is not a Lexus dealer. I called him about the temp not displaying proper but have not spoke to him about the Auto not working. As for the temp display he felt it has nothing to do with him fixing the air but he will look at it. Maybe the wire came off the sensor. Is it in the area of the AC that he was working on?
Old 05-26-15, 03:20 PM
actman
Driver School Candidate

The outside display is reading -38F I read on here the air wont turn on in Auto when outside temp is below zero. The AC is set to be always on even for winter. So what I can tell the outside reading is important and that would make sense why Auto setting is not working. Any other thoughts on this before I call my mechanic tomorrow?
Old 05-26-15, 05:52 PM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default These

I can tell u tht the compressor does come on in the winter time as needed to dehumidify the air inside lets say to clear up a fogged up window. However at a 0 degree temp outside it may not come on As it will be hard to maintain proper operating pressures. So the problem may in fact be the outside sensor reading Stopping it from coming on .
Old 05-27-15, 06:12 AM
actman
Driver School Candidate

After leaving the car off for a few hours the outside temp has changed to the plus side and now the Auto AC is working and the AC is on all the time like it should be. However the temp is displaying wrong temp still and it is changing up and down. I will have to drop it back to the dealer and see what happened to the temperature sensor. Does anyone know where that is located on a 2013 rx350?
Old 05-27-15, 12:40 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Usually the sensor is under the front bumper cover. Not 100% certain where it is in the RX.

Quick Reply: AC not working