RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Odor When Outside Air Is On

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 05:32 PM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odor When Outside Air Is On

I've noticed that if the fresh/recirc is set to fresh so that outside air is being drawn in, even without the fan or AC on, there's a mildew like smell in the car. I picked the car up about 10 days ago, but it's a 2013 with 13K miles. Is this a matter of cleaning or replacing the cabin air filter? DIY?
Old 05-07-15, 06:19 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Change cabin filter

The cabin filter is usually in the glove compartment open it and there's usually a compartment in the back and problem fix car was probaly been sitting for awhile
Old 05-08-15, 05:07 AM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by Scott610
The cabin filter is usually in the glove compartment open it and there's usually a compartment in the back and problem fix car was probaly been sitting for awhile
The car has definitely been sitting for a while. I'll call the dealer this morning to see if they have a cabin air filter in stock. I want to change it ASAP. Thanks for the reply. The manual tells how to change it. You just have to make sure it's in fresh or recirc first, have to check which one, as the door is locked in one of those modes.
Old 05-08-15, 05:21 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, the filter is a good start. Be sure however, you've done a few searches in this forum on the subject of "mold", "smell", "odor", etc. There are many threads discussing this from different perspectives, some resolved with a new filter, others resolved in the way the owner utilizes (or not) their A/C, and some IMHO because of some very odd situations beyond what Lexus could likely prevent (like creatures getting into the ventilation system). Since your 2013 is recently new-to-you, and you likely don't have knowledge what the former owner did or didn't do, scanning those threads may help with your understanding and prevent future issues as well.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-15, 05:47 AM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by BertL
OP, the filter is a good start. Be sure however, you've done a few searches in this forum on the subject of "mold", "smell", "odor", etc. There are many threads discussing this from different perspectives, some resolved with a new filter, others resolved in the way the owner utilizes (or not) their A/C, and some IMHO because of some very odd situations beyond what Lexus could likely prevent (like creatures getting into the ventilation system). Since your 2013 is recently new-to-you, and you likely don't have knowledge what the former owner did or didn't do, scanning those threads may help with your understanding and prevent future issues as well.

Good luck.
I remember similar issues in the forums for my previous vehicle. The odor seems relatively minor to me, and I'm thinking that a filter change will probably solve the issue right now. Thanks for the information.
Old 05-08-15, 08:54 AM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Instead of going to the dealer I really recommend Amazon for the filter, if you can wait. Should be much cheaper. This is the one I got for my 2015 and it works great.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DRLQN4/
Old 05-09-15, 06:37 AM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by Leap
Instead of going to the dealer I really recommend Amazon for the filter, if you can wait. Should be much cheaper. This is the one I got for my 2015 and it works great.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DRLQN4/
I didn't think it would be costly at the dealer. Thanks for the link. Now to check and see if its compatible with my 2013. There seems to be some concern as to the direction to face the arrow on this aftermarket filter when installing.
EDIT: I was able to input my vehicle details and perform another search at Amazon. The filter linked to above did not fit my RX, but I found a similar one of the same brand that does. I will be ordering. The only question remaining is the direction of the arrow when installing. Any info here would be appreciated.

Last edited by Dadofruth; 05-09-15 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-09-15, 11:26 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lexus Dealer

" I didn't think it would be costly at the dealer. "

Thanks. That might be the funniest thing I've read all week.
Old 05-09-15, 01:50 PM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISFWes
" I didn't think it would be costly at the dealer. "

Thanks. That might be the funniest thing I've read all week.
I really didn't. I can see now the error of my ways...
Old 05-09-15, 07:09 PM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dadofruth
I didn't think it would be costly at the dealer. Thanks for the link. Now to check and see if its compatible with my 2013. There seems to be some concern as to the direction to face the arrow on this aftermarket filter when installing.
EDIT: I was able to input my vehicle details and perform another search at Amazon. The filter linked to above did not fit my RX, but I found a similar one of the same brand that does. I will be ordering. The only question remaining is the direction of the arrow when installing. Any info here would be appreciated.
The size I linked said it didn't fit my 2015 on Amazon, but if you go the filter maker's website that is the filter number they state and it was a drop in replacement when I installed it. I am pretty sure your 2013 and my 2015 are the same, but hopefully whatever other model you ordered does fit!

I believe they are $40 at the dealer.
Old 05-09-15, 09:51 PM
Hiroslamme
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Try turning on the heater

Both my Lexus and Toyota get that mildew smell once in a while from the A/C, You may have some mildew/mold in your A/C, try running your heater on high for about 10 minutes while your driving the car to dry out any moisture in the system. This always cures the odor in my situation, I also replace my cabin filters out every year, and check/clean them every 3 months.

Try this before returning to the dealer, and try to shut off your A/C a couple of minutes before shutting the car down as a normal routine to prevent the smell returning.
Old 05-10-15, 01:05 AM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hiroslamme
Both my Lexus and Toyota get that mildew smell once in a while from the A/C, You may have some mildew/mold in your A/C, try running your heater on high for about 10 minutes while your driving the car to dry out any moisture in the system. This always cures the odor in my situation, I also replace my cabin filters out every year, and check/clean them every 3 months.

Try this before returning to the dealer, and try to shut off your A/C a couple of minutes before shutting the car down as a normal routine to prevent the smell returning.
I'll be replacing the air filter with an aftermarket, as soon as it arrives. I'll give the other suggestions a go as well. Thanks.
Old 05-10-15, 09:49 AM
AZJoe
Driver

Originally Posted by Dadofruth
I've noticed that if the fresh/recirc is set to fresh so that outside air is being drawn in, even without the fan or AC on, there's a mildew like smell in the car. I picked the car up about 10 days ago, but it's a 2013 with 13K miles. Is this a matter of cleaning or replacing the cabin air filter? DIY?
My recent odor ('13 w 15K) was a dead mouse on the top side of cabin filter.

Picked up a quality filter at local auto supply ($16). There are some that has charcoal to reduce odors. Dealer install on other lexus (ES) has been $45. Not sure of price from parts dept. Easy to pit it in.

Does anyone know of a diagram of ventilation system... I'd really like to know how a mouse got onto the filter.
Old 05-10-15, 12:43 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJoe
...Does anyone know of a diagram of ventilation system... I'd really like to know how a mouse got onto the filter.
You could purchase a 2-day pass to TIS and have access to the same info as dealer service teams. More info about TIS can be found here: https://www.techinfo.toyota.com/tech...at_is_tis_page. That's probably your best bet if you want to research, as you won't find free copyrighted info like that referenced or displayed on CL, as it conflicts with our terms of use policy.
Old 05-10-15, 04:50 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mildew Smell

I've never had this problem being in the desert. But I've seen other posters use this type of product on their A/C system problems.

Amazon.com: einszett 961105 Klima-Cleaner Professional Air Conditioner Cleaner - 8.5 oz: Automotive Amazon.com: einszett 961105 Klima-Cleaner Professional Air Conditioner Cleaner - 8.5 oz: Automotive

Quick Reply: Odor When Outside Air Is On