Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX450h Pulsing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-15, 08:31 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RX450h Pulsing?

Quite a weird experience yesterday. I was in the RX450h with my son, everythings fine, its running smooth like a purring cat. I get to the bottom of the hill at a traffic light and stop with my foot on the brake.

Then it just started pulsating, engine comes on, goes off, comes on again, goes off - almost like a pressure washer with an internal leak

It went away after 30s or so and hasnt come back. No engine lights or hybrid system warnings. Any ideas what it was?
Old 05-03-15, 05:05 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not having been in the car at the time, it sounds like it could have been running to replace some depleted energy in the traction batteries. Did you happen to notice the traction battery level?
Originally Posted by rayaans
Quite a weird experience yesterday. I was in the RX450h with my son, everythings fine, its running smooth like a purring cat. I get to the bottom of the hill at a traffic light and stop with my foot on the brake.

Then it just started pulsating, engine comes on, goes off, comes on again, goes off - almost like a pressure washer with an internal leak

It went away after 30s or so and hasnt come back. No engine lights or hybrid system warnings. Any ideas what it was?
Old 05-03-15, 10:41 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

I checked the hybrid battery. First thing I did, it was close to full which was why it was rather wierd.

Also it wasnt running, it was going on and off repeatedly
Old 05-03-15, 11:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

rayaans, I go down (and up) hills every day and haven't experienced any issues with the engine pulsating. I wonder if it has anything to do with the regenerative braking and/or temperature. Have you tried going down the same hill again? Hopefully it was just a fluke. Definitely let us know what happens.
Old 05-04-15, 09:31 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Over the years I have heard of this happening on other Toyota hybrids, but it is very rare. I had it happen to me once in the 6 yrs I had my Camry Hybrid, not seen it specifically on the RX, but also heard of it happening on Prius. The system programming seems to get into some kind of funk when coming to a stop apparently resulting in conflicting status flags (ie the engine needs to run, but the engine does not need to run). It goes away as soon as their is another state change (ie driving away from the stop, or some other change in sensor readings that cause the status flags to be updated). There is another rare similar incident where the engine will refuse to shut off after coming to a stop (even on a mild summer day, engine warm and happy, battery charged, no A/C demands, the engine will absolutely not stop running even if parked for many minutes. Again, it clears simply by driving away and might never happen again.
Old 05-04-15, 03:10 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
rayaans, I go down (and up) hills every day and haven't experienced any issues with the engine pulsating. I wonder if it has anything to do with the regenerative braking and/or temperature. Have you tried going down the same hill again? Hopefully it was just a fluke. Definitely let us know what happens.
Originally Posted by Droid13
Over the years I have heard of this happening on other Toyota hybrids, but it is very rare. I had it happen to me once in the 6 yrs I had my Camry Hybrid, not seen it specifically on the RX, but also heard of it happening on Prius. The system programming seems to get into some kind of funk when coming to a stop apparently resulting in conflicting status flags (ie the engine needs to run, but the engine does not need to run). It goes away as soon as their is another state change (ie driving away from the stop, or some other change in sensor readings that cause the status flags to be updated). There is another rare similar incident where the engine will refuse to shut off after coming to a stop (even on a mild summer day, engine warm and happy, battery charged, no A/C demands, the engine will absolutely not stop running even if parked for many minutes. Again, it clears simply by driving away and might never happen again.
Its never come back, driven a good 200 miles since then! Its the first time it happened so was just wondering what it could have been but glad its not back.

Anyway, even if there is an issue, hopefully itll get picked up in my 30k service this month! Thanks for the info guys!
Old 05-06-15, 03:43 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it was the hill assist.
Push your pedal down very hard when on a hill or even flat. Perhaps it was just trying to hold you there. I know the light goes on and the brake vibrates when doing this.

[QUOTEQ UOTE=rayaans;9023913]Quite a weird experience yesterday. I was in the RX450h with my son, everythings fine, its running smooth like a purring cat. I get to the bottom of the hill at a traffic light and stop with my foot on the brake.

It went away after 30s or so and hasnt come back. No engine lights or hybrid system warnings. Any ideas what it was?[/QUOTE]
Old 05-07-15, 03:00 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CanadianRX
Maybe it was the hill assist.
Push your pedal down very hard when on a hill or even flat. Perhaps it was just trying to hold you there. I know the light goes on and the brake vibrates when doing this.

[QUOTEQ UOTE=rayaans;9023913]Quite a weird experience yesterday. I was in the RX450h with my son, everythings fine, its running smooth like a purring cat. I get to the bottom of the hill at a traffic light and stop with my foot on the brake.

[/QUOTE]

Nah it wasnt the hill assist. Ive used it on many occasions and it doesnt do that.

Also, there was no elevation so it would have caused the engine to start and stop repeatedly. Anyways, the good thing is, it hasnt come back!
Old 05-10-15, 07:58 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Does anyone know if pushing on brake and gas petals at the same time will do this? Isn't it true the '10s didn't have the brake override and '12s and newer did? Personally on my '12 I don't think it works properly.

Just wondering.
Old 05-10-15, 08:42 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Does anyone know if pushing on brake and gas petals at the same time will do this? Isn't it true the '10s didn't have the brake override and '12s and newer did? Personally on my '12 I don't think it works properly.

Just wondering.
I believe Smart Stop Technology came in with the 2011 RX.
Old 05-10-15, 03:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Bert is correct. It was part of the settlement for '10 owners.
Old 05-10-15, 03:40 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Somewhere in my technosearch I came across a reference that the brain tries to "park" the engine on a particular compression (or lack thereof) index.

If so, it could explain what I perceived to be several attempts at shutting off the engine - much like the old engines that kept on running due to pre ignition run-on.

Seemed somewhat similar to OP's observation.
Old 11-30-16, 07:30 PM
Lexi450
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KITLZ- What "settlement" for "10 owners are you referring to?
Old 12-01-16, 03:11 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Lexi450, Lexus issued a service campaign as part of the settlement regarding floor mats and sudden acceleration. There's a few threads on the topic but I think this one has the most details.
Old 12-01-16, 07:13 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

OP, I would venture a guess that this was due to you stopping at the bottom of the hill.

I did a full brake job on our RX last weekend and took it through its paces to get the pads seated properly.
Lots of braking and stopping going downhill. When I parked it to inspect brakes, it kept turning itself on and off.
It seemed a little off to me, but I did put a lot of stress on it. I think it was trying to cool off the hybrid electrical system by doing this, as I did lots of regen and depletion cycles.

Quick Reply: RX450h Pulsing?