RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Abnormal wear on front tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 11:12 AM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Abnormal wear on front tires

After about 3,000 miles on my new 2015 RX 350 I've noticed some feathering on the outside edges of the front tires. I have an appointment at the dealer next week to have them address the issue along with requesting them to set my HID headlights a bit higher. Should I expect these things to be covered under warranty?
Old 04-24-15, 11:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

kmar, in the mile high pile of books you received when you picked up the RX is a brochure from the tire manufacturer. I'd refer to that as far as warranty. You didn't mention which brand you have. Some are better than others. We have the tire thread with plenty of opinions. Also make sure the tire pressure is correct. Dealers like to overinflate which can affect wear. Have them check the alignment. You're entitled to one during the first year or 12,000 miles.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-15, 01:22 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

They should take care of that. I wouldn't expect to pay anything with such low mileage.
Old 04-25-15, 10:43 PM
kmar
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
kmar, in the mile high pile of books you received when you picked up the RX is a brochure from the tire manufacturer. I'd refer to that as far as warranty. You didn't mention which brand you have. Some are better than others. We have the tire thread with plenty of opinions. Also make sure the tire pressure is correct. Dealers like to overinflate which can affect wear. Have them check the alignment. You're entitled to one during the first year or 12,000 miles.

Good luck.
Tire pressure has been correct since the day I drove it home. The tires are Dunlop however I don't believe this is a "warranty" issue with the Dunlop, but rather an alignment issue for the dealer to resolve. I was also thinking they should provide an alignment. Thanks for verifying this.
Old 04-26-15, 04:21 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

kmar, I mentioned tire pressure because it's common to see them overinflated. If you believe it's the alignment, definitely bring your RX to the dealer and have them check it. Maybe they can rotate the tires too. You're getting close to the first (free) service. One other thing, tire wear was an issue for me with the Dunlops. I wound up replacing them at 16,000 miles. Sure maybe I could've pushed it a few thousand miles. But once they start losing grip, off they go.

Good luck.
Old 04-26-15, 06:15 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

check the UTQG rating on the side of your tires. The softer the compound, the more pronounced the feathering might be over time. High speed cornering can also lead to the edge wear, after all your curb weight is over 4100 lbs. Alternatively, you may have too much positive camber. You want as close to zero camber in the front.
Old 04-26-15, 06:26 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Side note.
Once the feathering begins, you'll find a shorter overall life on those two tires. I've had the same issue.
Have the alignment & the balance checked.
Insist on new rubber.
Old 04-26-15, 06:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Dunlop is 280, pretty soft. This is what mine looked like right before I took them off and put on the Pirellis with a UTQG rating of 500. And I did check the tire pressure religiously and get an alignment every year.
Attached Thumbnails Abnormal wear on front tires-img_0397.jpg  
Old 04-26-15, 12:19 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Anita, that looks good to me. Were you unhappy with it? Can you share:
Miles
Air pressure (cold)
Size
Model
Old 04-26-15, 02:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Nate, I'm a stickler about keeping the tire pressure and alignment to specs. Maybe an extra pound in the tires to firm up the ride a bit. But I've never gone beyond 17K on OE tires including the Dunlops. Once I don't feel safe, they're replaced. You can read more about it in the link I posted above. Some members have had better luck with the Dunlops. I hope kmar does and can get the wear under control.
Old 04-26-15, 06:26 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

17 - ouch.

My car came with 19" Bridgestone Duelers; and at the recent 30K service, those tires are still at 6/32".

From all that I read, I was (almost) prepared for 15K miles of life out of the OE tires.

'More than happy to have doubled that warning already.

If I had to make a decision today, I'd replace them with the same kind.

Now I'll go read your thread - thanks.
Old 04-29-15, 11:09 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
kmar, I mentioned tire pressure because it's common to see them overinflated. If you believe it's the alignment, definitely bring your RX to the dealer and have them check it. Maybe they can rotate the tires too. You're getting close to the first (free) service. One other thing, tire wear was an issue for me with the Dunlops. I wound up replacing them at 16,000 miles. Sure maybe I could've pushed it a few thousand miles. But once they start losing grip, off they go.

Good luck.
I replaced my OEM Dunlops at 19,XXX miles. They def had some wear on them plus they rode like crap and were loud. When I got the oil changed at the Toyota dealership around that same time, they found that I needed an alignment.
Old 04-29-15, 12:18 PM
kmar
Driver

Originally Posted by kmar
Tire pressure has been correct since the day I drove it home. The tires are Dunlop however I don't believe this is a "warranty" issue with the Dunlop, but rather an alignment issue for the dealer to resolve. I was also thinking they should provide an alignment. Thanks for verifying this.
I had it into the dealer yesterday. They checked alignment and found the "toe" was off very very slightly. They emphasized "very slightly", likely not enough to cause much of a concern. The service manager said something to the effect they don't usually cover an alignment under warrant, but since I only had about 3300 miles they took care of it. Acted like he went out of his way to do me a favor. They said I'd have to wait til my first 5,000 mile service for a tire rotation.
Old 04-29-15, 12:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

kmar, please be sure to report back if you feel any difference. BTW, you are entitled to an alignment the first year or 12,000 miles. It's in the Warranty and Services Guide on page 18.

Basic Warranty
This warranty covers repairs and
adjustments needed to correct
defects in materials or workmanship
of any part supplied by Lexus,
subject to the exceptions indicated
under “What Is Not Covered” on
pages 19–20.
Coverage is for 48 months or
50,000 miles, whichever occurs
first, with the exception of wheel
alignment and wheel balancing,
which are covered for 12 months
or 12,000 miles, whichever
occurs first.
Show your dealer when you go back for the 5,000 mile service. And have them check the alignment again. It's complimentary at my dealer.

Good luck,
Old 05-01-15, 11:36 AM
gusar
Driver

Originally Posted by kmar
I had it into the dealer yesterday. They checked alignment and found the "toe" was off very very slightly. They emphasized "very slightly", likely not enough to cause much of a concern. The service manager said something to the effect they don't usually cover an alignment under warrant, but since I only had about 3300 miles they took care of it. Acted like he went out of his way to do me a favor. They said I'd have to wait til my first 5,000 mile service for a tire rotation.
Tire rotation would be a bad idea. It will only hide the issue, not fix it. In this situation i would've insisted NOT to rotate tires to see the progress - if it becomes better (after alignment) or worse. If worse - Lexus is definitely responsible for it. After 3000 you should not see any wear on tires at all.

Quick Reply: Abnormal wear on front tires