RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Abnormal wear on front tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 03:25 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by kmar
Ha, fat chance that would happen no matter how much I kicked and screamed. When I asked for an alignment check the first time at 3500 miles or so, the service manager basically said they were doing me a favor "covering it this time", almost implying it's not a warranty thing. I was a service advisor in the RV business a few years back, so I know the kind of denial that goes on. "Within spec", "working as designed", etc...
kmar, other members have had their tires changed at minimal or no cost by their dealers. It's happened. Now kicking and screaming is not something you have to do to get them to follow the Lexus warranty. Show them the page in the Warranty and Services Guide. It's called honoring the warranty, not doing you a great favor. As I mentioned before, an alignment check is complimentary at my dealer. And if you're still not happy, you can escalate it to Lexus Corporate. It's just a matter of clicking here and posting your concern. Or call them directly. The within specs excuse is something I'm very familiar with too. A Ford service manager told me cars come from the factory perfect. We know that's BS. Well, I wound up getting an alignment done at an independent shop on the dealer's dime. And I got the last laugh, the car went back to Ford under the lemon law.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-23-15, 06:06 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No kicking & screaming required.
Approach them & let them know you value their service. You plan on getting the car maintained at the dealer, this is your option, not a warranty requirement. You may/may not have purchased vehicles there before but going forward, your next buy will be determined on how well you get treated with this one.
After this happened to me on the F150 (2), I approached them the same way. I was advised to bring it in next month for oil & filter. Left the lot that afternoon with 2 new tires on the front, no questions asked.

They all break, they all wear out. I usually get the best bang for the buck at the service counter. I can also have the last laugh there too as I will always need another vehicle in a couple years.
Old 06-23-15, 03:39 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anita and Steve,
Thanks for your recent replies to my tire wear dilemma. I went online for the Warranty Guide and printed out the page about wheel alignment being covered for 12 months/12,000 miles, in case I need it next week when I go in for service.

Ken
Old 07-02-15, 04:34 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following up with a report on this ...
At my 5k service this week, the service manager agreed to check the alignment and "have it set (within specs) as much as they could to correct the tire wear problem" (his words). He gave me the before and now current settings for all alignment parameters (toe, camber, caster - front and rear).

If I were to share those settings here would anyone be able to tell me the effect of the change and if it's likely the new settings will help reduce the excessive tire wear I was seeing on the outer edges of the front tires?

They also did rotate the tires

Thanks, Ken