RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Looking at 3rd generation RX from a 2005 RX330

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 02:57 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking at 3rd generation RX from a 2005 RX330

Hello,
I'm starting to look on this forum due to looking at replacing my 2005 RX330. I would like to get some input from others who have made the transition on the pros and cons between the two vehicle. At the moment my wish list for the new RX is as follows:
2012 and up
less than 40k kms
Premium Package 1 or 2, not really interested in Nav system

Thank you in advance,
Chris
Old 04-23-15, 04:36 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi

Ive owned both so I will give you my views on both of them.

For ride comfort, the 2nd Gen RX was king, however this did not pay off in the handling department. The 3rd gen RX rides slightly worse but its a better handler. I also think the build quality in the 3rd gen surpasses the 2nd gen which had a sense of toyota about it. Not to mention theres a lot of new tech which wasnt available on the previous RX. Cant go wrong, once you RX, there's no going back
Old 04-23-15, 06:49 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

We went from a very base 2004 RX 330 to a mid range 2013 RX 350. Love it. We love so many of the new options (like blind spot monitoring) that we decided to upgrade our daily driver as well.

The 3rd gen model doesn't have as soft and cushy a ride, but it does drive and handle better - and the ride is still very nice. Frankly, I think the braking feels stronger too. It is a bit taller, which has troubled my 5'4" wife. While the gas mileage is supposed to be slightly better, we haven't seen that but it definitely has more power.

I can't agree that the 3rd gen is a better quality vehicle. I think they are pretty similar in that regard. The third gen does have more/thicker door seals and is a tad quieter, especially in wet weather. I don't care for the fact that there is no on/off switch for the air conditioner but have learned to just ignore that and leave it on auto.

The seats are definitely more comfortable in the 3rd gen vehicle. We also like the backup camera and the keyless entry. The 2nd gen also had a lot of nice little touches, like illuminated door handle cups which made it nice to locate the door handles in the dark, which are missing on the third gen. It also had illuminated door sills, which are also missing on the 3rd gen. It seems clear after moving from a base 2nd gen to a reasonably loaded 3rd gen, that there was some cost cutting.

Overall, we are very happy with the 3rd generation model and while there are some things we miss from the older model, we have zero regrets. We would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 04-24-15, 07:44 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

While I had a RX400h and moved to a RX450h, the base vehicle is comparative to a 330 and 350. IMHO, there are far more pluses in the 3rd Gen over the 2nd Gen -- most have been stated: Tech, Handling, Interior size, Fit, Finish, and what I'd just call "the next level of details throughout". For me, beyond a couple of other nits, the only 2 subtle drawbacks I can live with because of all the other benefits, is I find the 3rd Gen is perhaps not as quiet on the inside, and I believe the Mark Levinson (an Infotainment option) on my 3rd Gen is inferior in bass response. Other than that, it's a no-brainer to move up to a 3rd Gen over a 2nd.

...if my noise level comment peaks your interest, there are plenty of threads on that subject -- with various conjectures as to what causes it and some folks attempts at improving the situation. Same sort of thing on the bass response -- other threads on that as well.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-24-15, 08:24 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

MY IS is having the recall done today and I'm going to be looking at a few RX's at the dealership this afternoon.
Old 04-24-15, 08:37 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Chris, Bert is failing to mention the awesome reviews, like his impressions of the 450h and in comparison to the 400h and his summary of the differences between the 2012 and 2013 RXs. Now I know you're looking at the 2012 350 but Bert didn't miss a single detail. And I'll put the disclaimer in for him, he's not responsible if you decide to go with the 450h instead of the 350, or the 2013 instead of the 2012

I will say going from the 330 to the 450h was a big step. There is a learning curve I haven't experienced before. The whole feel inside and out was different. Initially the 3RX was maybe less personal in a way whereas the 2RX felt familiar and fit like a glove. That took a week to overcome. Chalk it up to the newness. There's only one thing I miss, the distinct tail lights that made the RX the RX IMO. But overall I have no regrets. They've only gotten better and better.

Best of luck in your decision

Last edited by kitlz; 04-24-15 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-24-15, 04:06 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Default Update

I went to the dealership and looked at a 2012 and 2013 RX both premium package and one with 40K kms and 30k Kms respectively. I was a little amazed that both the driver seats in both cars looked very distressed and the leather did not look very nice- both seats were parchment colour. The seats in my IS and RX looked in better condition. I will admit that I'm a little OCD about my vehicles as I use Leatherette for my leather care. I was wondering if the leather quality in the 3rd generation RX as declined or the previous owners did not care for their seats; but the rest of the vehicle looked great.
Any thoughts?
Chris
Old 04-24-15, 04:41 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by diverchris
I went to the dealership and looked at a 2012 and 2013 RX both premium package and one with 40K kms and 30k Kms respectively. I was a little amazed that both the driver seats in both cars looked very distressed and the leather did not look very nice- both seats were parchment colour. The seats in my IS and RX looked in better condition. I will admit that I'm a little OCD about my vehicles as I use Leatherette for my leather care. I was wondering if the leather quality in the 3rd generation RX as declined or the previous owners did not care for their seats; but the rest of the vehicle looked great.
Any thoughts?
Chris
Chris, this is the challenge for most people that do none, or only minimal preventive maintenance to their leather seats. As gross as it may sound, leather is a natural product, no different than the skin on one's face. If we don't take care of ourselves, we get wrinkles, age lines, and sun damage with all the consequences that result because of our own lack of care of our bodies. The same is effectively true with natural leather (opposed to some synthetics), and especially with IMHO the more subtle and premium semi-aniline leather that many of our RX enjoy. Me, I do the basics to maintain my leather, no different than my exterior finish, and have no major issues with the seats in any of my rides, including my 2013 RX450h or previous 2006 RX400h that when traded-in, sold the very next day without going through ANY dealer preparation other than a mechanical inspection.

THIS THREAD, that was moved over to our Auto Care & Detailing forum may be on interest. You'll find references there to our "All about Lexus Leather" thread if you're so inclined as well.
Old 04-24-15, 05:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Any thoughts?
Chris
I've noticed the same thing with these 3rd gen RX's. Older RX's don't exhibit this sort of wear.
Old 04-24-15, 05:31 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by hypervish
I've noticed the same thing with these 3rd gen RX's. Older RX's don't exhibit this sort of wear.
Yes, and IIRC, 3rd Gen introduced the more subtle semi-aniline and perforated leather seats (with a new cooling option if so equipped) that were/are loved by most that had/have them like myself, but were non-existent with any 2nd Gen RX options.

My point remains. Basic maintenance is required for natural products regardless of it being an RX, what generation, or what mfgr, and more so for some than others dependent upon the leather type and tanning options if one cares about the appearance being retained for the long haul -- perhaps beyond their own personal ownership. People that consider or buy older cars from any mfgr must unfortunately accept what previous owners did or did not do in that regard, and live with the longer term consequences, no different than how people do or don't maintain the external appearance of their rides.
Old 05-03-15, 05:54 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Hello,
I'm looking for a little bit of an explanation. I'm looking at two vehicle currently a 2011 with 44K premium package 1 and a 2013 with 50K also with premium package 1. The difference in price for the two is $7K. I was wondering if anyone can provide an explanation as to the large price difference, as I guess I'm a little confused.
Thank in advance,
Chris
Old 05-04-15, 06:17 AM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Hello,
I'm looking for a little bit of an explanation. I'm looking at two vehicle currently a 2011 with 44K premium package 1 and a 2013 with 50K also with premium package 1. The difference in price for the two is $7K. I was wondering if anyone can provide an explanation as to the large price difference, as I guess I'm a little confused.
Thank in advance,
Chris

Anything else different?

One a CPO?

Of course, they are two years apart. And 2013 was the facelift, so that usually accounts for a few thousand in added value.
Old 05-04-15, 07:06 AM
BertL

Hello,
Thank in advance,
Chris
In addition to what Justin suggests:
  • I assume the 2013 is not an F-Sport or have the Sport Appearance Pkg -- neither available on a 2011
  • I assume you're talking RX350 and not RX450h.
  • FWD vs AWD? The latter will add value.
  • 2013 was the refresh of the 3rd Gen and has a number of "little" tweaks the 2010-12 do not. The larger one as suggested is the front-end styling difference that IMHO makes a 2013 appearance-wise likely hold it's value more and longer than a 2011, as coming at you in your rear-view mirror, a 2013 looks more like a new 4th Gen 2016 when that hits the streets later this year.
  • Color combos can sometimes effect price -- some colors are not as popular to the masses, as say the more standard black, white and silver or grey tones.
  • New tires or brakes? Recent major maintenance?
  • Was one of them in a wreck or have major repairs or repaint of some sort? Exterior dents or scratches? Hows the paint finish? Hows the interior, especially leather upkeep?

Good luck in your pursuit.

Last edited by BertL; 05-04-15 at 07:23 AM. Reason: A couple more minor things...
Old 05-04-15, 09:54 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Both the 11 and 13 are CPO and both are premium package 1.
The 11 is silver on black leather
The 13 is silver on light grey leather.
Hopefully when I see both of them I can see the justification in the price difference minus one being 2 years newer
Old 05-14-15, 05:37 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Default Update

Hello,
I've purchased a 2011 RX with 44K kms- silver on black
I was looking at the Canadian owners manual and I noticed that there is not an interval for changing the fluid in the diffs; is anything mentioned in the US manual or have I missed something?

I know there is no interval for the transmission fluid, but I know its not lifetime fluid.

I was not able to find a thread on this, but does anyone have a CIA on their RX or does the F-sport kit work on the RX's
And has anyone added/replaced the halogen headlights with the LED light from Xenon Depot?

I look forward to posting on the 3rd generation forum
Chris

Quick Reply: Looking at 3rd generation RX from a 2005 RX330