RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone also thinks the lumbar support is a bit high?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 01:34 AM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone also thinks the lumbar support is a bit high?

I mean it is touching the part of the spine closer to the middle of my back, while I would prefer it to be closer to my lower back. Anyone also has the same problem?
Is it possible to open up the seat and move it lower? I guess not!?
Old 04-21-15, 06:19 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I agree it's a bit high. I doubt very much you could easily open up, mechanically adapt, and put your seat back to it's normal condition.

I assume you've tried not only adjusting the lumbar through it's complete cycle, but also tried adjusting seat tilt. For me, I was able to find a combination that influenced how I sat in my seat quite a bit and was perfectly comfortable after a few days of playing with it. I eventually found a sweet spot that worked for me, and now must pray my saved position is never lost and I have to do it all over again!!!
Old 04-21-15, 07:18 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

yes I just noticed that is was a bit high... i'm used to my GS which has it perfect... but like Bert said, you have to play with the seat tilt and try to get it to a happy medium...
Old 04-21-15, 04:17 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really but then it depends on how tall your torso is

Lumbar support should basically match the curvature of the lumbar vertebrae. Different people have different amounts of curvature in their lumbar region so it just depends. Of course, if you have an abnormal curvature (what we like to call lumbar lordosis) then thats a different story :P
Old 04-22-15, 05:57 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
...but then it depends on how tall your torso is ...
I agree. While I'm nearly 6', I'm one of those that seems to be just a little bit taller "above the belt line", with perhaps shorter legs than average (no wise cracks about my 30-31" inseam please)... So was my dad and his... so this torso thing could well be part of the challenge why the lumbar position is more problematic for some folks.

I also almost always have problems seeing the top part of dash indicators that are hidden from my normal view by the top of the steering wheel, when the seat is positioned such that my arms and shoulders don't get tired on even shorter rides. e.g. I can only see the glow from the lower part of the turn indicators on my RX450h, and if I didn't have my HUD, would have complete loss of view of about 65-100MPH on the dash speedometer. My former BMW was worse because of it's display layout, and I have a similar issue in my current MBZ -- neither had/have a HUD, so I must remember to do a lot more up-and-down head movements to check speed as I go down the highway. As this issue is generally not described by others in forums like this, you-all now probably think I'm some sort of alien, but I've always figured I'm the one that is "out of spec" how car mfgrs build cars for the masses in this regard, and just work around it.