RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

'10 RX350 Wiring Questions

Old 04-18-15, 05:03 PM
Wozz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool '10 RX350 Wiring Questions

HI... I got adventurous today and decided to see how/whether I can get to the amplifier wiring with the hopes of possibly adding an enclosed subwoofer. I'd like to slice into either the line-in or the speaker-outputs.

This pic shows the connectors and wiring found under the rear cargo hold:

RX350 rear wiring

I'm hoping the well connected and ingenious can help unravel some of the mystery connectors/wiring in the pic.

Ie. what are the A,B,C,D wiring bundles? Would anyone happen to have the wiring info for these? I'm especially interested in the audio.

I'm assuming F is for a trailer.

Q. re: E... how do these black plugs come out? They look like the normal pull-up-and-they-come-out... but I tried exerting a fair amount of pressure and they wouldn't pop out!

Thank you so much for any comments/assistance!
Old 04-18-15, 05:49 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I can't answer your question, but worst case since you are part way into your project, you can always purchase a 2-day pass ($15) to TIS and likely look up some or all of detail yourself. The pass will give you access to most of the same manuals and data Lexus service depts have access to.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-15, 06:08 PM
Wozz
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BertL
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks.

BTW, I checked out your wp blog. Nice! As a fellow retired IT Director (not IBM though) I'm pleasantly surprised when I see someone in senior IT mgmt that is actually hands-on/tech savvy.
Old 04-20-15, 12:14 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The trailer wiring is behind the right tail light, so F is not it.
Did your RX come with a premium sound or ML?
Mine has premium and it already comes with an enclosed sub on the left side.
I believe the 2-pin plug that went into it had red wires. Don't recall, though.
Getting wiring diagrams is your best bet. I had them for both of my IS300s and they were extremely helpful.
Old 04-21-15, 10:10 AM
Wozz
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Thanks for the assistance Vlad!

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Did your RX come with a premium sound or ML?
No. I decided it wasn't worth getting NAV (my previous RX had NAV)... so there's no sub. I'm tired of the lousy bass so I'm wanting to add one if I can get some wiring tips.

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Getting wiring diagrams is your best bet.
Yes, for sure. I'm just afraid that I won't make head/tail of them! So I'm hoping to get at least some basic info from folks here who are infinitely more familiar with them.
Old 04-21-15, 05:07 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wozz
Q. re: E... how do these black plugs come out? They look like the normal pull-up-and-they-come-out... but I tried exerting a fair amount of pressure and they wouldn't pop out!
Pick up a trim removal tool, maybe even a small set of 4. Available almost anywhere automotive supplies are retailed. General description is a screw driver handle with a two pronged fork at the shaft end. The fork tines are wide & flat. Put each side under the fasteners you indicate & pry up. They are a mushroom head retainer that can be reused in most cases.

I had the same pieces out a couple weeks back trying to source an issue with the rear seat release handle.

The electrical drawings should be easy enough to read. Wire sizes, colours, connector styles & function are the usual legends. Should you get to accessing them please post your feedback here. I'm interested in the harness under the centre console , the 12V feed to the outlet.
Thinking about buying the access too but have been putting it off.
Old 04-22-15, 09:56 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The reason I asked about having a factory sub is to suggest an OEM unit as an option.
In this listing you can see what the plug for it looks like, as well as wire colors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2011-2012-2013-Lexus-RX350-Subwoofer-Sub-Speaker-/281297757146?hash=item417ea723da&vxp=mtrMost vehicles will come with standard wiring, so the plug may already exist and you might be able to reuse it for your needs. How it is wired to the amp is a whole different question.
I suppose if finding line level output fails, you could always fall back to using an LLC (low level converter) unit and getting a feed from the rear speakers. I am hoping there's a sub output somewhere. Alas, no diagrams to get a glimpse into the factory setup. Maybe Metra makes some kind of harness.IDK.
The IS300 crowd used to open up the factory amp and soldering a line feed output from it to power the sub.

P.S.
I am not a fan of the factory nav as well. In fact, I can't stand it. But it is virtually impossible to buy a 450h without one.