RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Considering CPO '13 RX450H

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 01:58 PM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I still can't get the dealer to tell what the problem with the AC is, but after service looked at it parts were ordered. This was after 2P Fri, and they don't expect the parts until Monday or Tuesday. I was told that the car would not be ready for delivery before Wednesday, to be safe. I'm still very interested to hear the issue there. To the person who suggested the switch for AC wasn't pressed, I simply used the auto mode on the test drive and reduced the temp as low as it would go.
On a slightly different topic, they're offering me 3 different products to buy.
Wheel and tire coverage is a bit steep in price and I think I'll take my chances there.
To extend the 3 year CPO warranty to 5, they want a discounted $1575. Again, I'll take my chances.
Paint and Fabric protection is $599 for 5 years. That one I'm considering. I'd be interested to hear feedback on these things.
All in all, this seems like a great deal. I have no out of pocket, nothing down except DMV fees, and my payment will be the same, $1 per month less. I hope to pick it up next Wednesday evening if all goes well.
Old 04-18-15, 02:01 PM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Here's the dealer listing.
http://www.burdicklexus.com/VehicleD...-NY/2425531783
Old 04-18-15, 08:02 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

This is nt the textbook nor owners manual description, but the way the climate system works is that the compressor is either on or off via a menu choice.

Ths means that if you call for cooling and the compressor is not selected already in the settings for climate, then you won't get cold air unless it s old outside.

It is a nit with me, as I would like to be able to cool with compressor or without compressor by simply toggling the automatic dash button once for compressor, and again turning off compressor.

But they didn't design it for me, so in Spring I change the settings to allow/use the a/c compressor; and I turn it off when it gets cooler outside.

Regardless, the auto will try to heat/cool the car; but if the air compressor is turned off, you won't feel the cold you're expecting.

Could your issue be that simple?
Old 04-18-15, 08:05 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

On a more helpful note: consider requiring that they update your navigation software before you take delivery. It's a small cost to them, and a big savings to you.
Old 04-19-15, 04:05 AM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by NateJG
This is nt the textbook nor owners manual description, but the way the climate system works is that the compressor is either on or off via a menu choice.

Ths means that if you call for cooling and the compressor is not selected already in the settings for climate, then you won't get cold air unless it s old outside.

It is a nit with me, as I would like to be able to cool with compressor or without compressor by simply toggling the automatic dash button once for compressor, and again turning off compressor.

But they didn't design it for me, so in Spring I change the settings to allow/use the a/c compressor; and I turn it off when it gets cooler outside.

Regardless, the auto will try to heat/cool the car; but if the air compressor is turned off, you won't feel the cold you're expecting.

I have to think that if they ordered parts, the problem isn't a menu choice.
I've been thinking about having the nav updated. I inquired casually about this and was dismissed. I will ask again about a nav update, and will see what response I get.
Old 04-20-15, 12:33 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Nate,
It's no secret, it drives me crazy as well! No AC button. Why? So we can smell mildew from having AC on all the time?
Old 04-20-15, 04:22 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Try turning off the compressor for the last mile of your journeys and run the fan briskly to dry out whatever condensation you think is still in the plenum. I do that on hot muggy days ( however, here in Michigan, Hot is hard to find ).
Old 04-24-15, 06:49 AM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Update: The A/C compressor was replaced. I'm picking up the car Monday.
Old 04-25-15, 03:18 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Ouch - I'll bet that was a Killer Bill (and likely the reason the car was traded in; I'll bet the inspection team missed it)!

You will Love how the A/C works in that hybrid.

Last edited by NateJG; 04-25-15 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Fix fat-fingered grammar mysteaque ;)
Old 04-25-15, 04:04 PM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Ouch - I'll bet that was a Killer Bill (and likely the reason the car was traded in; I'll bet the inspection team missed it)!

You will Love how the A/C works in that hybrid.
The car seems to have been at that dealer for sale since around January. If the inspection was done in winter, it would be hard to catch the A/C issue imo. Thanks for the positive feedback.
Old 04-25-15, 08:00 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Now That makes real sense!

In an earlier life, I worked on automotive and industrial A/C - and I'm expecting that the compressors on our hybrids are more likely to run forever like our kitchen refrigerator than they do as engine-belt-driven compressors - and those run pretty much like the Eveready Bunny nowadays.

IIRC your car is pretty similar to mine - and if you're even 90% as impressed with yours as I am with mine, you'll be a very happy man.
Old 04-25-15, 10:47 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

All excellent choices regarding extended warranties. I wouldn't buy the paint warranty either. It's the most reliable car on the road, or so it's said. Congratulations. I'm happy for you. Happy motoring.
'
Old 04-26-15, 03:31 PM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by raylor4
All excellent choices regarding extended warranties. I wouldn't buy the paint warranty either. It's the most reliable car on the road, or so it's said. Congratulations. I'm happy for you. Happy motoring.
'
I wound up giving in and going with the 3 year wheel and tire coverage. $715, but it added about $4 per month to my payment.
Thanks and look for pics very soon. Picking it up tomorrow.
Old 04-26-15, 03:45 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

I've followed and participated in your purchase decision so much this week that I think I'd best be checking my on-line bank account often to ensure that I'm not somehow also helping to pay for it.

'Waiting for pix & review!
Old 05-01-15, 06:04 AM
Dadofruth
Rookie

I've followed and participated in your purchase decision so much this week that I think I'd best be checking my on-line bank account often to ensure that I'm not somehow also helping to pay for it.

'Waiting for pix & review!
I've posted a few pics of the car in the new pic thread. They seem to be upside down for some reason. I'm loving the RX and have no regrets. Thanks for your feedback and enthusiasm.

Quick Reply: Considering CPO '13 RX450H