RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Keys, fobs, locked doors and etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 06:33 AM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Keys, fobs, locked doors and etc.

We want to lock the dog inside the parked car with the AC and car running. After trial and a lot of error, we discovered that we could lock the running car by removing the key from the fob and using the key to lock the door, all doors locked,but the doors will only unlock with the key, fob will not work. Does that sound about right? Or am I in for a surprise?

One of the many things I really like about the Lexus is that it is impossible to accidentally lock the keys in the car. Or am I missing something there too?

Bill
Old 04-11-15, 08:29 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The way you explain how the FOB and mechanical key is operating sounds right. Lexus has tried to make it so people don't do things that potentially would expose the car to not operating when the driver comes back to get in and start it -- be that vandals, situations that could create a safety exposure, or accessories that may drain the battery. The 2013 mid-life refresh enhanced a number of items in the 3rd Gen RX with an enhanced auto-shutoff feature. There are a few situations where folks have figured out how to get around Lexus' Engineering logic and design, and a couple of folks have expressed they don't like being able to override what Lexus has done, e.g. some want to keep the lights or Infotainment system effectively ON forever, vs newer RX turning them off after 20 mins to avoid battery drain should someone forget to turn them off and leave the vehicle. For me, like you, I appreciate the Lexus design trying to protect me from myself, if I someday have a distracted moment when I park my RX.

While it does not address your question directly, I assume you've seen THIS active thread and a few others here as to locking the FOB inside the RX. They might provide a sort of backwards approach to providing some more insight. Good luck, and stay cool in that RX!

===

As a side note: My own Retriever is inseperable from my side -- sleeping next to my foot at present. She goes almost everywhere in the back seat of my RXh with me. When it comes time for me to run in somewhere, (given I'm not worried about someone stealing her, like say my Mom is with her Jack Russell that would go with any friendly stranger) I roll down both windows for good ventilation, sometimes open the moonroof, and lock the car in the normal fashion with my FOB in my pocket ...but as soon as the temperature gets a little too warm or if I'm going to be gone too long, my girl stays home. We're then both sad, but I don't trust any technology well enough with my girl's well being, even my Lexus if I could have the auto temp control stay on. ...just my own personal approach, FWIW. We each have our own. Enjoy your extended family -- I sure do mine.
Old 04-11-15, 02:09 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Here is a warning that can cause you some issues if you have a newer keyless RX. You can start the RX with the key fob in your pocket. I recently left home with my spouse who dropped me off for a haircut and she continued on to do some shopping. She thought she had her key but as it turned out the car started via my fob. She got to her destination and found that once she shut the car off she didn't have the key to restart it. The RX will run without a key fob until it is turned off. I got a lot of walking exercise that day, LOL.

Last edited by jfelbab; 04-11-15 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-11-15, 02:29 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Lexus remote start allows the RX to remain locked while on but only for 10 minutes and is limited to three tries. Plus it'll shut off if someone tries to open the front doors. And like Jim pointed out, the vehicle can be driven away without the fob. You might want to look into an aftermarket remote start. This way you don't take the chance of puppy or your RX being taken.

Jim, you're not the only one to have that happen, not me, other members.
Old 04-11-15, 06:25 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

The remote start on my ES requires the door be locked, so there is no concern about somebody opening it (at least without a key in their pocket) while running. I don't believe the hybrid will actually sit there and run the ICE for the full ten minutes, although that is the stated limit with the remote start. That wouldn't allow for a very long visit with a pet in the car though.

We have had several near misses, where the person with the key started to walk away from the car. So far no long walks to rescue the person without the key ... yet.
Old 04-12-15, 07:32 AM
bsekf
Driver

Thanks for the replies. Our 2011 RX does not have remote start.. Long story...short... must take the dog and leave in AC. I found that by removing the keys from the fob, like using valet parking, I can lock the doors on a running car using the key in the fob. Keys and fob remain with me. QUESTION: Will the car shut itself off after a few minutes?????? Or continue to run until it is out of gas or I come back and unlock with the key in fob?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 04-12-15, 07:58 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Just my opinion, but I would think it will run as long as there is gas. The ten minute limit shouldn't be an issue since it wasn't activated through remote start.
Old 04-12-15, 07:59 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Bill, the RX will stay on. The auto shut off feature was added later like Bert pointed out. But you still run a risk if someone gets inside. They can take off with the RX and puppy, the key or fob is not required once it's on. They can't restart it though. You're better off looking into remote start or an aftermarket system. Just be careful because leaving a running vehicle unattended is illegal in some towns. And that's not taking into account if someone passes by and thinks your puppy is in distress or is bothered by him or her being left in the car. Unfortunately I've been witness to it.
Old 04-20-15, 01:22 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

My guess is that it will turn itself off after 20 min, just like everything else on 2013+.
This would be a safety feature for hybrid owners who are most prone to leaving their vehicle "running" in the garage.

When we had our German Shepherd, I did think of using remote start to keep all of vehicles we had to keep him cool during summer. At the end, I never did. We just kept windows partially open and kept him at home when it was too hot and we'd have to leave him in the car. Weather permitting, we took him almost everywhere we went.
Old 03-08-16, 07:39 AM
bsekf
Driver

Default How to lock a running RX

Thanks to everyone who commented.

I have found that you just remove the key from the fob and lock the running car by turning key counter clock wise. I have found the fob will not unlock the running car, you have to use the key.

Bud, the Airedale is happy and thanks all.

Bill