RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tire Rotation at Local tire Shop (firestone primarily)

Old 03-30-15, 06:46 AM
hoodlum081
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Rotation at Local tire Shop (firestone primarily)

Has anyone gotten their tires rotated at a local tire shop, primarily firestone shops? Do they measure the torque tightness of the wheel locks? i know they use air guns, i just want to make sure before i go there. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-15, 07:23 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodlum081
Has anyone gotten their tires rotated at a local tire shop, primarily firestone shops? Do they measure the torque tightness of the wheel locks? i know they use air guns, i just want to make sure before i go there. Thanks in advance.
i would call and ask them, and reiterate when you take it there

Last edited by lexus114; 03-30-15 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-30-15, 07:54 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with lexus114. Each Firestone will do things differently, and each person at a given shop will have their preferences. Before entering the customer waiting area, I would watch a car in the bay that is in the final stages of wheel installation and watch to see if a torque wrench is being used. It looks like a ratchet wrench, but typically with a VERY long handle, like three feet. Not for extra torque, but ease of use.
Also, I would mention it to the service writer, just to have it on the work order.
BTW, my experience of my local Firestone is that they over-inflate and upsell. For me, they tended to recommend services that may or may not be necessary. JMHO
Ray A.
Old 03-30-15, 03:23 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Manual torque wrench is a very easy question to ask while booking a visit.
Many shops use torque sticks on the airguns. They look like a 6"-8" ratchet extension but have a hex socket forged into one end. They will stop rotating at a fixed torque rate or a range.
You'll see them as sets of about 6, all in different colours. The colour indicates the torque range.
I'll keep my faith in the old-fashioned torque wrench.
Old 03-30-15, 05:45 PM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Manual torque wrench is a very easy question to ask while booking a visit.
Many shops use torque sticks on the airguns. They look like a 6"-8" ratchet extension but have a hex socket forged into one end. They will stop rotating at a fixed torque rate or a range.
You'll see them as sets of about 6, all in different colours. The colour indicates the torque range.
I'll keep my faith in the old-fashioned torque wrench.
As far as I know these torque sticks only work properly if the air pressure on the shop compressor is not turned up too high. If the compressor is turned up even using a torque stick will over-tighten wheels. A friend of mine tried this using his own torque sticks and his own compressor, then checked the results with a manual torque wrench.

novaman
Old 03-30-15, 08:56 PM
GregT
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodlum081
As Firestone must do, God knows how many tire rotations each week/month/year, what are the (real) issues with a wheel that is not torqued exactly to specs?
Old 03-31-15, 03:57 AM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GregT
As Firestone must do, God knows how many tire rotations each week/month/year, what are the (real) issues with a wheel that is not torqued exactly to specs?
I would say the real issues with not torquing wheels to specifications is (1) Too tight and wheels will not come off using wheel wrench in the event of a road side flat and warping rotors using an impact gun. (2) Too loose and wheels fall off.

novaman
Old 03-31-15, 07:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by novaman
I would say the real issues with not torquing wheels to specifications is (1) Too tight and wheels will not come off using wheel wrench in the event of a road side flat and warping rotors using an impact gun. (2) Too loose and wheels fall off.

novaman
too tight is not good, ie not be able to get wheel off if flat tire on side of road. plus warps rotors as well.
Old 03-31-15, 08:19 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Too much torque stretches overly stretches the bolt or stud. A fixed torque setting will ensure the bolt is stretched to an amount based on the steel rating used. Yes, they actually get longer as you tighten them.