RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Wait for the 2016 Lexus RX or 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by kamauxx
I bought it in May of 13 so yes, I'd assume it was an early model.
Yep, thats why.
Old 04-02-15, 02:15 PM
kamauxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd believe that if I wasn't always receiving recall notices or seeing articles written about how poorly Jeeps are being built.

Personal experience, reading other's experiences on the Jeep forum, recall emails/letters, and a multitude of articles is too much evidence of problems with the brand for me to simply shrug it off as "early model issues."

OP seems more interested in what could be than he is in what will be. Buying the Jeep is a flat out gamble, pure and simple. But he doesn't want to have to wait 8 months (understandably) for an RX so its a risk he's willing to take. Unfortunately, when all the pretty glitter and lip stick wears off I fear he'll realized he's gotten married to a stripper.
Old 04-02-15, 02:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Personal experience, reading other's experiences on the Jeep forum, recall emails/letters, and a multitude of articles is too much evidence of problems with the brand for me to simply shrug it off as "early model issues."

OP seems more interested in what could be than he is in what will be. Buying the Jeep is a flat out gamble, pure and simple. But he doesn't want to have to wait 8 months (understandably) for an RX so its a risk he's willing to take. Unfortunately, when all the pretty glitter and lip stick wears off I fear he'll realized he's gotten married to a stripper.
Do you post on a Jeep forum every day? I do. How many Grand Cherokees have you had? I've had two over the past 4 years. You had a bad experience, I get that and respect that...but you don't have more insight into this vehicle or its quirks and concerns than I do. I don't know what all these recall notices you're getting are...I don't get them and I still own the truck. There was a recall for something with the wiring in the sun visor, there was a recall for the ACC programming, axle shafts but that was a very narrow build range. What else? For comparison my GS has been recalled for as many things, now I have to put it in to have its seat rails replaced on the passenger side because of an issue with the airbag, Brake booster recall took 7 weeks to get parts on the Lexus.

There is a CLEAR difference when reading posted problems between an early build 2014 and a late build 2014 or a 2015. There were also clear differences between 2011s, and 2012s and 2013s. When the 2014 just came out the forum was FULL of stories like yours...it was a real disaster. But...that has settled down big time. When I had my 2011 and it had problems I was one of the ones complaining and carrying on, and my 2014 (late build) has been great.

Reliability is a concern vs a Lexus, no doubt, but he's looking at a 15, I think he'll be fine.
Old 04-02-15, 03:32 PM
kamauxx
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Do you post on a Jeep forum every day? I do. How many Grand Cherokees have you had? I've had two over the past 4 years. You had a bad experience, I get that and respect that...but you don't have more insight into this vehicle or its quirks and concerns than I do
As I no longer own the Jeep I have stopped posting there. And I've owned a whopping ONE GC, as I tend to learn from my mistakes-especially those that cost me thousands of dollars and make me want to rip my hair out of my scalp.

Now, what's the magic number of Jeeps I must own before I have a respectable amount of insight, exactly?

I don't know what all these recall notices you're getting are...I don't get them and I still own the truck. There was a recall for something with the wiring in the sun visor, there was a recall for the ACC programming, axle shafts but that was a very narrow build range. What else?

Originally Posted by http://www.cars.com/recalls/jeep/grand-cherokee/2014/

Recall Number: 14V643000Recall Date: 10/14/2014
Component: AIR BAGS

Problem Summary: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2014 Dodge Durango vehicles manufactured June 2, 2013, to June 28, 2014, and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured October 30, 2012, to April 30, 2014. Due to a fault within the Occupant Restraint Control (OCR) module, the frontal air bags, seat belt pretensioners, and side air bags may be disabled. The malfunction indicator light MIL should illuminate to initially warn drivers of a failure.

Consequence: If the frontal air bags, seat belt pretensioners, and side air bags are disabled, there is an increased risk of injury to the vehicle occupants in the event of a vehicle crash that necessitates use of the passive restraint system.

What Owners Should Do: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the ORC module, free of charge. Chrysler issued an interim notification to owners on December 8, 2014. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P67.

Recall Number: 14V643000Recall Date: 10/14/2014
Component: SEAT BELTS

Problem Summary: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2014 Dodge Durango vehicles manufactured June 2, 2013, to June 28, 2014, and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured October 30, 2012, to April 30, 2014. Due to a fault within the Occupant Restraint Control (OCR) module, the frontal air bags, seat belt pretensioners, and side air bags may be disabled. The malfunction indicator light MIL should illuminate to initially warn drivers of a failure.

Consequence: If the frontal air bags, seat belt pretensioners, and side air bags are disabled, there is an increased risk of injury to the vehicle occupants in the event of a vehicle crash that necessitates use of the passive restraint system.

What Owners Should Do: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the ORC module, free of charge. Chrysler issued an interim notification to owners on December 8, 2014. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P67.

Recall Number: 14V634000Recall Date: 10/08/2014
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR/REGULATOR

Problem Summary: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2011-2014 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Challenger, and Durango; and 2012-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured April 22, 2010, to January 2, 2014, and equipped with a 3.6L engine and a 160 amp alternator. In the affected vehicles, the alternator may suddenly fail.

Consequence: If the alternator fails, the vehicle may stall without warning, increasing the risk of a crash.

What Owners Should Do: Chrysler is expected to begin notifying owners of this recall on November 28, 2014. The remedy for this recall campaign is still under development. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P60.

Recall Number: 14V636000Recall Date: 10/08/2014
Component: ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL

Problem Summary: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2014 Dodge Durango, and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured October 3, 2013, to April 11, 2014. Due to an issue with the software for the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM), the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) may be disabled.

Consequence: If the ESC is disabled during certain driving situations, the driver may not be able to adequately control the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

What Owners Should Do: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will update the SCCM software, free of charge. The recall began on November 24, 2014. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P64.

Recall Number: 14V391000Recall Date: 07/02/2014
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING

Problem Summary: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2011-2014 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured January 5, 2010, through December 11, 2013. In the affected vehicles, the wiring for the vanity lamp in the sun visor may short circuit, after a service repair is performed.

Consequence: If the vanity lamp wiring shorts, there is an increased risk of fire.

What Owners Should Do: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and repair any damaged wiring, and install a new sun visor that properly routes the wire, free of charge. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P36.

Recall Number: 14V293000Recall Date: 06/04/2014
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL

Problem Summary: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2014 Dodge Durango vehicles manufactured January 16, 2014 to April 8, 2014, Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured January 16, 2014 to April 8, 2014, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT vehicles manufactured February 3, 2014 to April 8, 2014, and Jeep Cherokee vehicles manufactured March 6, 2014 to April 17, 2014. When the adaptive cruise control is engaged and the driver presses the accelerator pedal to increase the vehicle's speed more than the cruise control system would on its own, the vehicle may continue to accelerate briefly after the accelerator pedal is released.

Consequence: The unintended continued acceleration may increase the risk of a crash.

What Owners Should Do: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will re-flash the Driver Assistance System Module (DASM), free of charge. The recall began in June 2014. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P31.

Recall Number: 14V293000Recall Date: 06/04/2014
Component: FORWARD COLLISION AVOIDANCE: ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL

Problem Summary: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2014 Dodge Durango vehicles manufactured January 16, 2014 to April 8, 2014, Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured January 16, 2014 to April 8, 2014, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT vehicles manufactured February 3, 2014 to April 8, 2014, and Jeep Cherokee vehicles manufactured March 6, 2014 to April 17, 2014. When the adaptive cruise control is engaged and the driver presses the accelerator pedal to increase the vehicle's speed more than the cruise control system would on its own, the vehicle may continue to accelerate briefly after the accelerator pedal is released.

Consequence: The unintended continued acceleration may increase the risk of a crash.

What Owners Should Do: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will re-flash the Driver Assistance System Module (DASM), free of charge. The recall began in June 2014. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P31.

Recall Number: 14V154000Recall Date: 04/01/2014
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:POWER ASSIST:VACUUM

Problem Summary: CHRYSLER GROUP LLC (CHRYSLER) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011-2014 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE AND DODGE DURANGO VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 5, 2010, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 8, 2013. THE SUBJECT VEHICLES HAVE A BRAKE BOOSTER WITH A CENTER SHELL THAT MAY CORRODE AND ALLOW WATER TO GET INSIDE.

Consequence: THE WATER INSIDE COULD FREEZE AND LIMIT THE BRAKING ABILITY OF THE VEHICLE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

What Owners Should Do: CHRYSLER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL ADD A WATER DIVERTER SHIELD TO THE BOOSTER AFTER THE BOOSTER HAS BEEN TESTED TO CONFIRM IT CAN HOLD AN ACCEPTABLE AMOUNT OF VACUUM PRESSURE. IF THE BOOSTER INSPECTION CONFIRMS AN UNACCEPTABLE LOSS OF VACUUM PRESSURE, THE BOOSTER WILL BE REPLACED. REPAIRS WILL BE MADE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN IN MAY 2014. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403. CHRYSLER'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS P14.

Recall Number: 14V154000Recall Date: 04/01/2014
Component: SERVICE BRAKES

Problem Summary: CHRYSLER GROUP LLC (CHRYSLER) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011-2014 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE AND DODGE DURANGO VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 5, 2010, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 8, 2013. THE SUBJECT VEHICLES HAVE A BRAKE BOOSTER WITH A CENTER SHELL THAT MAY CORRODE AND ALLOW WATER TO GET INSIDE.

Consequence: THE WATER INSIDE COULD FREEZE AND LIMIT THE BRAKING ABILITY OF THE VEHICLE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

What Owners Should Do: CHRYSLER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL ADD A WATER DIVERTER SHIELD TO THE BOOSTER AFTER THE BOOSTER HAS BEEN TESTED TO CONFIRM IT CAN HOLD AN ACCEPTABLE AMOUNT OF VACUUM PRESSURE. IF THE BOOSTER INSPECTION CONFIRMS AN UNACCEPTABLE LOSS OF VACUUM PRESSURE, THE BOOSTER WILL BE REPLACED. REPAIRS WILL BE MADE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN IN MAY 2014. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403. CHRYSLER'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS P14.

Recall Number: 13V483000Recall Date: 10/17/2013
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR/REGULATOR

Problem Summary: CHRYSLER GROUP, LLC (CHRYSLER) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2014 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED JANUARY 8, 2013, THROUGH AUGUST 20, 2013. DUE TO A DISRUPTION OF COMPUTER COMMUNICATIONS AND LOOSE ALTERNATOR GROUND WIRES, THE AFFECTED VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE RANDOM ILLUMINATION OF MULTIPLE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WARNING LIGHTS, LOSS OF CLUSTER ILLUMINATION AND LOSS OF ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) AND ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL (ESC) FUNCTION. BECAUSE OF THESE CONDITIONS, THE VEHICLES FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD (FMVSS) NO. 101, "CONTROLS AND DISPLAYS," AND NO. 126, "ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEMS.

Consequence: A LOSS OF ABS AND ESC FUNCTION REDUCES THE DRIVER'S ABILITY TO CONTROL THE VEHICLE. DRIVERS WOULD NOT BE WARNED OF BRAKE SYSTEM FAILURES OR ANY OTHER FAILURES WHICH WOULD BE ILLUMINATED ON THE DASHBOARD DISPLAY. EITHER CONDITION INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH.

What Owners Should Do: CHRYSLER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL UPDATE THE ABS AND INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MODULE SOFTWARE AND TIGHTEN THE ALTERNATOR GROUND WIRE, FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS PLANNED TO BEGIN IN NOVEMBER 2013. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-247-9753. CHRYSLER'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS N58.

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE

Problem Summary: CHRYSLER GROUP, LLC (CHRYSLER) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2014 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED JANUARY 8, 2013, THROUGH AUGUST 20, 2013. DUE TO A DISRUPTION OF COMPUTER COMMUNICATIONS AND LOOSE ALTERNATOR GROUND WIRES, THE AFFECTED VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE RANDOM ILLUMINATION OF MULTIPLE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WARNING LIGHTS, LOSS OF CLUSTER ILLUMINATION AND LOSS OF ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) AND ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL (ESC) FUNCTION. BECAUSE OF THESE CONDITIONS, THE VEHICLES FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD (FMVSS) NO. 101, "CONTROLS AND DISPLAYS," AND NO. 126, "ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEMS.

Consequence: A LOSS OF ABS AND ESC FUNCTION REDUCES THE DRIVER'S ABILITY TO CONTROL THE VEHICLE. DRIVERS WOULD NOT BE WARNED OF BRAKE SYSTEM FAILURES OR ANY OTHER FAILURES WHICH WOULD BE ILLUMINATED ON THE DASHBOARD DISPLAY. EITHER CONDITION INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH.

What Owners Should Do: CHRYSLER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL UPDATE THE ABS AND INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MODULE SOFTWARE AND TIGHTEN THE ALTERNATOR GROUND WIRE, FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS PLANNED TO BEGIN IN NOVEMBER 2013. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-247-9753. CHRYSLER'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS N58.

Component: ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL

Recall Number: 13V289000Recall Date: 07/02/2013
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING

Problem Summary: CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2014, NON-SRT TRIMMED, GRAND CHEROKEE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED JANUARY 14, 2013, THROUGH MARCH 20, 2013 EQUIPPED WITH PREMIUM HEADLAMPS. IN THE AFFECTED VEHICLES, WHEN SWITCHING BETWEEN DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS AND PARKING LIGHTS, ELECTRICAL SPIKES MAY CAUSE THE PARKING LAMPS TO TURN OFF. WITHOUT PROPERLY FUNCTIONING PARKING LAMPS THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD (FMVSS) NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT.

Consequence: WITHOUT PARKING LAMPS, THE VEHICLE MAY NOT BE AS VISIBLE TO OTHER VEHICLES, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

What Owners Should Do: CHRYSLER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL UPDATE THE CENTRAL BODY CONTROLLER SOFTWARE, FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN IN AUGUST 2013. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-247-9753. CHRYSLER'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS N42.
How many is too many?

Reliability is a concern vs a Lexus, no doubt, but he's looking at a 15, I think he'll be fine.
Well, we can only hope.

Last edited by kamauxx; 04-02-15 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 07:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As I no longer own the Jeep I have stopped posting there. And I've owned a whopping ONE GC, as I tend to learn from my mistakes-especially those that cost me thousands of dollars and make me want to rip my hair out of my scalp.
I had a problematic one and rolled the dice on another one and am very happy. So had I "learned from my mistakes" I'd have a vehicle that I liked much less.

I do agree though, when you have a problematic one it is maddening. The people with the early build 2014s that had problems really went through hell. My 2011 had a lot of little maddening issues that required stays in the shop, but it was always drivable (worst was an HVAC failure the day before leaving on a summer trip. Luckily the dealer stole someone else's ordered part for mine and fixed it so we could take the Jeep). I don't blame you for being bitter about it.

Now, what's the magic number of Jeeps I must own before I have a respectable amount of insight, exactly?
There isn't one...but as someone who has say had 5 Lexus vehicles over 16 years like I have I would say I have more experience with Lexus than somebody who has had one for 3 months and wants to use it to pass judgement on the past present and future of the brand. Same is true of my experience with Jeeps and in the Jeep community vs yours.

How many is too many?
You're not going to win an argument saying someone else has too many recalls sitting in a Toyota/Lexus vehicle LOL. Toyota/Lexus has had plenty of recalls and safety problems over the past 5 years.

First off, some of them you have posted multiple times. If you look at the dates on those, most of them refer to early build 2014s. My 2014 for instance only has the air bag recall (which needs to be done), the vanity mirror recall (already done) and the ESC/ adaptive cruise recall (already done).

As a comparison my GS has had the brake pedal assembly recalled, trunk release recalled, steering control unit recalled, now the front passenger seat rails recalled for an airbag issue.

Does that mean my Jeep is more reliable than my Lexus? Because it has fewer recalls?
Old 04-02-15, 08:11 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Folks, expressing opinions and personal experiences are great. It's what we love and value here at CL. Let's just be sure we don't inadvertently allow our passionate replies to become too personal, and we stay on target in this thread with the intent of the original post.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-15, 01:26 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man this sounds like the 4Runner forums. Those guys hate the GC!! Straight up the Jeep is a very very handsome vehicle. Reliability is hit and miss but for the most part I wouldn't say it's terrible.

2016 RX: Polarizing styling and reliability. Although the 2016 is all new so it might even have a few bugs.

Simple isn't it?
Old 04-04-15, 07:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by tdougherty
Recently, I've gone back and fourth over the V6 or V8 debate. I don't tow much, but I keep hearing people make the statement that MPG is similar in both engines due to cylinders deactivating on the highway in the V8. Right now, i'm leaning towards the V6
i didn't test drive the v8 but i asked if cylinder deactivation was noticeable and other owners said yes. anyway, i believe if you check you'll see the v6 gets considerably better gas mileage. also, i have found the v6 to be PLENTY powerful enough. so unless you're towing a monster boat or something, the v6 is perfectly fine. i've gotten just over 21mpg avg so far (2500 mi.)

also, i have granite color summit (black interior) by the way. black interior wouldn't have been my first choice but i'm ok with it and it looks great. i did get weather tech floor and cargo liners to replace the very nice berber carpet mats i didn't want to get trashed.

anyway, suggest we take this thread to pm's for any further jeep talk as it has nothing to do with 2016 rx.
Old 04-04-15, 07:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
anyway, suggest we take this thread to pm's for any further jeep talk as it has nothing to do with 2016 rx.
Fell free to PM both of us in a three way (heh heh) if you7 like.
Old 04-05-15, 08:12 PM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Fell free to PM both of us in a three way (heh heh) if you7 like.
haha, thakns guys. I will as the acquisition process continues. Cheers and happy Easter!