RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2 sets of tires/TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 05:13 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts
Default 2 sets of tires/TPMS

Today we had our winter tires swapped for the summers. Both sets are on wheels and both have TPMS sensors. In our 2009 RX, there was a little switch under the glove box that would allow switching from one set to another, once programmed, when doing this seasonal swap. Dealer charged me $50.00 for reprogramming. Does anyone know if the 2015 RX can accommodate 2 sets of programmed TPMS sensors? I looked in the manual, but hopefully missed this as I don't look forward to a $100.00 bill twice a year for the swap. They charged the same $50.00 to do the tire swap as well as the reprogramming.
Old 03-27-15, 06:05 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I expect it's the same as the '10 & later models. There is a button beneath the column but only for adjusting the base line pressure of the sensors. A separate set of TPMS sensors will have to be programmed every time as there is no memory slot.
Talk to your dealer. Do you have other service performed there ?
We also have a separate set of wheels/tires & have never been charged to flash the computer.

Last edited by SteveCraig; 03-27-15 at 06:06 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 03-27-15, 09:57 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll be ordering the ATEQ quickest from racing king for my 2011 rx so I could do it myself. Tool can hold settings for four cars so I may charge my neighbors 15 bucks per programming. :-)
Old 03-27-15, 10:30 PM
dadcat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer wanted to charge me 1 hour of labor a few years ago to reset the TPMS on my 2010 RX450h, so I bought the ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool for $150. I have been resetting the TPMS twice a year myself for the tire swaps.
Old 03-28-15, 04:26 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dadcat1
My dealer wanted to charge me 1 hour of labor a few years ago to reset the TPMS on my 2010 RX450h, so I bought the ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool for $150. I have been resetting the TPMS twice a year myself for the tire swaps.

I'm doing the same, works great.
Old 08-19-15, 01:08 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi guys, we at Carista are now working on implementing TPMS programming functionality. Would any of you in this thread be interested in trying it out for us (for free) before it's released officially? You'd need an ELM327 OBD adapter, but hopefully some of you already have one.
Old 08-20-15, 07:58 AM
dozorca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
Hi guys, we at Carista are now working on implementing TPMS programming functionality. Would any of you in this thread be interested in trying it out for us (for free) before it's released officially? You'd need an ELM327 OBD adapter, but hopefully some of you already have one.
Hey, I would love to try it out. I've bought your app long time and and I'm the beta testers (currently on version 2.4 Beta 9). Let me know how I can help. I have 2010 RX350.

Thanks,
Old 08-20-15, 09:21 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dozorca
Hey, I would love to try it out. I've bought your app long time and and I'm the beta testers (currently on version 2.4 Beta 9). Let me know how I can help. I have 2010 RX350.

Thanks,
Your beta already has this functionality. If somebody else is interested in downloading the beta for Android, you can read how to do it here: http://www.caristaapp.com/beta/ and if you have iOS let us know at support@caristaapp.com

When you get the beta and if you need to register new sensors, please follow these instructions:

1. Go into TOOLS -> Tire pressure monitoring system
2. Check if your currently-programmed sensor IDs are shown correctly. Write them down if you don't already have them.
3. Enter the new sensor IDs you want to program. Pick whether you want this to be your primary or secondary wheel set. If your car supports only 1 set, you must select "primary", otherwise unknown things will happen
4. Press SAVE.
5. Regardless of whether the whole thing succeeds or fails, go back to the main screen open the slide-out menu from the left of the screen and pick "Report a problem" and send us a report. This will send a technical log of what happened and help us confirm that things are working correctly or debug any problems.

If you don`t need to set up new TPMS sensors skip entering new IDs and skip the SAVE (steps 3 and 4) and just check if the displayed IDs look correct. Also when you are sending us reports can you please tell us if your car supports one or two sets (if you know)?

Thank you for helping us.
Old 08-20-15, 10:11 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

I'm in if you are still looking for a volunteer. PM me on what's needed.
Old 10-25-15, 12:42 PM
mkaye
Rookie

just trying to load the winter sensor id's back into the car for the 1st time (2011 rx450h) using the Ateq Quickset tool
no problem loading summer & winter id's from car
turn car on, plug in quickset, blinking green, press winter, solid red
tried a few times
made sure id's were all loaded into tool

mark
Old 10-26-15, 08:10 AM
avintador
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a set of "cloneable" TPMS sensors for my winter rims/tires on my 2015 RX350. Rock Auto has one you can order.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=373&jpid=1

Any competent tire shop should be able to get you a set and program them as well.

I don't need to reprogram the sensors when i swap tires.
Old 10-27-15, 10:41 AM
gusar
Driver

Originally Posted by avintador
I purchased a set of "cloneable" TPMS sensors for my winter rims/tires on my 2015 RX350. Rock Auto has one you can order.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=373&jpid=1

Any competent tire shop should be able to get you a set and program them as well.

I don't need to reprogram the sensors when i swap tires.
That sounds as a brilliant idea! (I mean cloneable ID sensors). Much less hassle all around.
The following users liked this post:
MTD1 (09-09-18)
Old 10-28-15, 01:05 PM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your beta already has this functionality. If somebody else is interested in downloading the beta for Android, you can read how to do it here: http://www.caristaapp.com/beta/ and if you have iOS let us know at support@caristaapp.com

When you get the beta and if you need to register new sensors, please follow these instructions:

1. Go into TOOLS -> Tire pressure monitoring system
2. Check if your currently-programmed sensor IDs are shown correctly. Write them down if you don't already have them.
3. Enter the new sensor IDs you want to program. Pick whether you want this to be your primary or secondary wheel set. If your car supports only 1 set, you must select "primary", otherwise unknown things will happen
4. Press SAVE.
5. Regardless of whether the whole thing succeeds or fails, go back to the main screen open the slide-out menu from the left of the screen and pick "Report a problem" and send us a report. This will send a technical log of what happened and help us confirm that things are working correctly or debug any problems.

If you don`t need to set up new TPMS sensors skip entering new IDs and skip the SAVE (steps 3 and 4) and just check if the displayed IDs look correct. Also when you are sending us reports can you please tell us if your car supports one or two sets (if you know)?

Thank you for helping us.
Will it be possible to completely disable the TPMS with the App. I already have a set of winter wheels that don't have TPMS and I don't want to bother having them installed. I found this old tool in my garage called a tire pressure gauge that I use for the winter
Old 10-29-15, 02:20 PM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I am the new owner of a 2010 RX350, just got new snow tires, on used rims. I opted for "Cloned" sensors as well. No buttons to push, no relearn. The 2010, does not have a glove box switch to accommodate multiple tire/wheel sets, so things are problematic, even with a tool. Discount Tire (no affiliation) does cloning.
Another money saving tip I researched. I am using 17" Toyota 2007 RAV4 steel wheels, with 235/65-17 Blizzaks. This set up is way cheaper than extra Lexus 18" wheels, and 18" tires. The taller side-wall is actually more functional for winter snow. The stock tire is a 235/60-18, and the 17", presents an almost identical profile. I also bought a set of chrome wheel skins for $50 on Amazon. Wisconsin winters quickly ruin a wheel anyway.

Nerv81 - I have read that the TPMS is integrated into the electronics and can not be disabled. Options are looking at the warning light or putting tape over it.
Old 10-30-15, 12:59 AM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey good idea with RAV4 steel wheels. Any chance you have a pic you can put up?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2 sets of tires/TPMS