RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 10:27 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garage door opener

I had no problem programing our garage door opener to work with the RX but I don't like the fact that it works even when the car is not running. Does anyone know if if the button can be programed to only work when the car is running?
Old 03-27-15, 12:02 PM
3894days
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never heard of such option. Just curious, what's the thought behind this need?
Old 03-27-15, 12:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd think in case anyone steals your RX and somehow gets a hold of your address. I'm not aware of being able to disable programming either. The only option I could think of is not programming the garage door opener in the RX and carrying the remote for the garage. Maybe hide it somewhere in the RX.
Old 03-27-15, 01:30 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No ability that I'm aware of to disable or change this, as their isn't in my BMW or MBZ to change theirs.

For me, I love the Lexus implementation as it allows me to open my car in the garage, get in, press to open my garage door, and THEN push the button to start my RXh without having to do an intermediate step to AUX or possibly affixiate myself and passengers turning the ICE on before the door opens. Similarly, when I drive into my garage, I can turn the RXh off in one push of its button, then close my garage door before getting out. FWIW, my former BMW and present MBZ act as the OP desires, and I hate their implementations to the point I made specific requests on initial new car surveys from the German cars to change their implementation like what I've always had and known with my Lexi.
Old 03-27-15, 01:49 PM
3894days
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotcha ya Anita, I will stick with program as one less thing to carry around and defeats purpose of controls. Guess we gotta take that chance.. luckly my garage is detached!
Old 03-27-15, 03:38 PM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3894days
never heard of such option. Just curious, what's the thought behind this need?
We have an attached garage with a carport. Most of the time we park our vehicles under the carport. We enter the house a lot through the garage, A thief with the right tool can open your car door in about 5 seconds and would have easy access to your home through the garage. (That's the disadvantage of an attached garage).

This actually happened to someone we knew. Someone burglarized their house while they were away. No sign of forced entry. Cops figured they opened car door and went in through the garage.
Old 03-27-15, 05:54 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

BertL - We always open the garage door with the button on the wall because several in our community that habitually open their garage doors with the button inside the car, have forgotten to open the garage door before reversing, when in a hurry. It's worth noting that we live in a retirement community. The garage door repair people are making a good living here. : )
Ray A.

For me, I love the Lexus implementation as it allows me to open my car in the garage, get in, press to open my garage door,...
Old 03-27-15, 06:43 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TomT127
I had no problem programing our garage door opener to work with the RX but I don't like the fact that it works even when the car is not running. Does anyone know if if the button can be programed to only work when the car is running?
A hand held remote kept in the car works with the car off too. I suppose there are probably garage door openners that can be triggered with a cell phone now. Maybe thats the answer to your problem.
Old 03-28-15, 05:55 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
BertL - We always open the garage door with the button on the wall...
Yup, used to do that. My challenge are dogs that on occasion run off-leash with their unresponsible owners who walk around the neighborhood at all hours... Not only did I have overnight "presents" in my yard that caused me years ago to install a cheery picket fence around my front yard to eliminate clean-up duties, but after the second time opening my garage door to have an unknown dog run in and make my heart palpitate, well, I changed my ways. I now have my own Golden that rides on the rear seat of my RX with me most of the time, so I avoid potential problems letting her come out with me, get onto her seat, close her door, then I jump in and open the garage to find out what may be on the other side. (As I reread that, it makes it sound like I live in a wild animal park or I'm worried about a zombie apocalypse -- well, it's not quite that bad!)

I agree with others though, if I was concerned as the OP is about this, I'd clear the Homelink programming on my rearview mirror, and likely put the standard garage remote in my glove box, where I could also lock it as another minor deterrent should someone break into my vehicle. One could try to hide the remote, but most places I can think of within reach of the driver's seat are places even a non-thief would quickly check. If the possibility of bad guys is that great, given the glove box lock isn't that secure, perhaps the garage remote needs to be taken in and out of the vehicle, no different than the keys to the ignition. If one goes that far, I suggest if the owner has Nav, they also do not register their home address and ensure they occasionally clear route/destination history -- just in case someone got the keys or some way turned on the car, they wouldn't be able to easily find the vehicle's home address.
Old 03-28-15, 07:49 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our garage door opener has a code lock-out button. When activated it locks out the garage door remote. It can only be overridden by a digital code input to the outdoor keypad. I thought that all garage doors were available with this function.
Old 03-28-15, 08:43 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Our old Raynor has a lock button on the wall switch.
If one of our garaged vehicles should be left outside, we just hit the lock button until things are back to normal.
Old 03-28-15, 08:47 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

All this says is, we might as well go back to keys in the garage door handle. No remote is safe with people running around with scanners stealing garage code signals. Besides your home is only as safe as the nearest glass window. I guess I will live with the risk of the homelink system for the convenience of it.