RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wire eating rats

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-15, 11:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
My daughter took a trip to AZ a few years ago. She parked her ES350 out in the driveway where she was visiting. When she went to leave, her car was not working correctly. She took it to the Lexus dealership where they just taped two wires together that had been chewed through. So I think your fix is good. It can be very expensive to replace a wiring harness in a Lexus.
^This. I'd look over all the wiring in the engine bay very carefully. This is a repair you can do yourself very easily IMO.

BUT BEFORE YOU START IT AGAIN, PLEASE TAKE APART THE AIR FILTER HOUSING. MICE CAN ROOST IN THERE, THEN A PIECE OF GRAVEL GETS SUCKED INTO THE ENGINE AND GRENADES IT

#1 If its just a few wires, in one place, then go ahead. If you notice the little vermin have gnawed the wires in various places, then I'd go ahead and replace the whole harness.

#2 You need a souder gun, souder, heat shrink, electrical tape, plastic wire insulator, a heat gun or very hot hair dryer, and a wire stripping pair of pliers. All of this can be found in your local home depot for about $20 or so.

#3 You need to strip the broken wires back to good copper, use the wire stripping pliers.

# 4 Put the heat shrink on one side of the wire. Now twist the two exposed copper ends together, for about half an inch on each side.

# 5 Make sure the souder gun has been plugged in for a good 10-15 minutes and is hot. Take the wire souder, the heat tip of the gun, and the wire, melt all three together in the middle where you twisted them together.

#6 Slide the heat shrink over this repair of motled and fused metal. Use a heat gun or your wife's hair dryer on MAX setting to literally "shrink" the heat shrink over the spliced section of wire.

#7 Wrap electrical tape tightly over this repair and heat shrink.

#8 Wrap electrical tape over the whole bundle of wires.

#9 Slip some of that black plastic wiring harness loom over the repair, then wrap in electrical tape.

I feel fairly comfortable repairing wire like this, since I've wired up quite a few aftermarket radios in my old POS 90's cars that had crap factory radios.

EDIT: I've also dealt with vermon under the hood in my old beater, a black 1993 Toyota truck. Of course the A/C is broke in this truck, so it stays parked unless I need to haul stuff from late May through early September. Damn rats or maybe a squirrel had chewed almost completely through the rubber fuel line that runs from the firewall to the fuel rail. If that thing had burst I might have had the whole truck go up in flames.

Last edited by Aron9000; 03-28-15 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-29-15, 08:31 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
Actually coined by the "Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

Correction it was "Six foot metal munching moon mice".
Old 04-01-15, 03:27 PM
RatHater
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to thank everyone here for their replies!

I took the car in to the dealership this weekend. I wasn't sure I caught all the damage and as stated previously, I'm not comfy with electrical work.

While I was there I received a recall repair, oil change and the ignition coil primary/secondary circuit wiring fix for $263. Since I have only had this car for a short time, I had no idea what to expect and I have to say, I was surprised it wasn't more expensive. All filters, including cabin, were checked and looked good. I don't mind paying for labor - it is a skill and that's just part of the game when you don't want to do something yourself. Naturally the parts were minimal - I'm sure it was just a pigtail or similar.

Fortunately they did not just tape the wires together (from what I could see).

I just have one thing sticking out in my mind - why was this ignition coil primary/secondary circuit that was on the cylinder #3 side affecting cylinder #4? I suppose we shouldn't always believe the OBD codes, but it is something I am going to try and find out.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-01-15, 05:20 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The vehicle management system will put up error codes pretty accurately. Start opening or shorting circuits in the system & all bets are off. System sensing a bad coil , at the same time sensing an unusual resistance value on another sensor. The shorted conductors here + the open conductors there send the whole system for a loop.

Back in '93 my boss bought a new MB SL500. Rocket ship on rails with a real pretty face.I won't tell here how fast I had that thing going a few times.
6 months in it needed a new windshield due to a large rock chip. I dropped it off in the morning with plans on picking it up that afternoon. Pulled back into the driveway at the office & noticed the turn signals acted quite differently than the truck I normally drove. Made a comment about it to the boss. He goes out & tries it. Apparently everything else had gone a little funny.
The "shop expert" kid at the glass shop put the mouldings back on & had a few screws mixed up. Put a long fastener in a short hole just above the rear view mirror, shorting out "something".
Boss was a little upset. Towed it to the MB dealer. Had them go through everything until the issue was found & repaired. Sent that bill, including the tow, to the glass shop. I saw the bill, it wasn't pretty at all.