RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wire eating rats

Old 03-26-15, 09:42 PM
RatHater
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire eating rats

Hello!

First time poster, occasional lurker.

After receiving a OBD code of P0304 brought on by a CEL, I went under the hood to check the ignition coils, etc.. Once I removed the engine cover, I found several plastic bags, various wrappers and rat droppings. Unfortunately the rats that had made a home in my engine had also chewed through a wire. This is, what I suspect to be the ignition coil primary/secondary circuit - there are two wires. Please see attached picture. The OBD code led me to believe the issue was with cylinder #4, but this wire goes to the backside near cylinder #3.

Am I right about what these wires are?

Temporarily, I have done the following: there was a tiny bit of copper exposed on one wire, so I wrapped that in electrical tape. The other wire is severed. I then wrapped them both and slipped them back into the casing. Can I drive safely with this for a day or two or should I cut my loses and leave it in the garage until I can fix it? I really don't want to get stuck on the side of the road.

Is it difficult to replace? I have moderate car repair experience.

2010 RX 350

Thanks so much in advance! Have a great evening!

P.S. I have also included a picture of the nest as it is a really wild find!
Attached Thumbnails Wire eating rats-pic3.jpg   Wire eating rats-pic2.jpg  
Old 03-26-15, 10:28 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RatHater
Hello!

First time poster, occasional lurker.

After receiving a OBD code of P0304 brought on by a CEL, I went under the hood to check the ignition coils, etc.. Once I removed the engine cover, I found several plastic bags, various wrappers and rat droppings. Unfortunately the rats that had made a home in my engine had also chewed through a wire. This is, what I suspect to be the ignition coil primary/secondary circuit - there are two wires. Please see attached picture. The OBD code led me to believe the issue was with cylinder #4, but this wire goes to the backside near cylinder #3.

Am I right about what these wires are?

Temporarily, I have done the following: there was a tiny bit of copper exposed on one wire, so I wrapped that in electrical tape. The other wire is severed. I then wrapped them both and slipped them back into the casing. Can I drive safely with this for a day or two or should I cut my loses and leave it in the garage until I can fix it? I really don't want to get stuck on the side of the road.

Is it difficult to replace? I have moderate car repair experience.

2010 RX 350

Thanks so much in advance! Have a great evening!

P.S. I have also included a picture of the nest as it is a really wild find!
I had a similar incident happen in my Z while parked at work. A squirrel chewed on a fan cable harness. It was repairable, but decided to replace the entire assembly. I managed to expense it, citing employee safety due to lack of rodent control on company grounds.

Your "band-aid" fix may work, but I would suggest replacing the entire harness for you and your passenger(s) safety.
Old 03-27-15, 06:17 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Yikes "metal munching mice"!
Old 03-27-15, 08:01 AM
RatHater
Driver School Candidate

MI350_55: I wish I was fortunate enough to have work pay for this! Garage off a Chicago alley = rats, rats, rats!

Regarding my super fancy electrical tape band-aid - I did it more out of fear of some electrical fire than as a functional fix. I am really not a fan of doing any type of electrical work, so I will more than likely take it to the dealer this weekend. I did take the train this morning as I didn't want to cause more issues as a result of the wiring problem.

I am still curious about the functionality of these wires and what they are. I think they are responsible for transferring battery power to the ignition coil, but I really don't know. I'm also operating under the impression that the OBD reading may be because of the issue with the cylinder #3 wiring, #4 is misfiring as a result? This still confuses me.

If anyone has that knowledge they would like to share, I would appreciate it. I just want to understand more about this car.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-15, 08:02 AM
RatHater
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Marqevans
Yikes "metal munching mice"!

My new band name
Old 03-27-15, 08:11 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Might/might not be the fix. Gotta be so careful with electrics on modern cars.
Moisture will eventually intrude.
I would scan the local salvage yards & get a replacement harness or intermediate harness.
From there it's simply plug & play.
Old 03-27-15, 08:33 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow, another member with rodent problems. Take a look at this thread. I don't know what Lexus puts in the engine to make it appealing to them. I would have the RX towed to a Lexus or Toyota dealer, or even an independent shop instead of taking a chance driving it. The damage in your picture is bad. Unfortunately there might be more you can't see. I'd also recommend checking and changing the cabin filter too. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 03-27-15, 09:27 AM
RatHater
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies!

Anita - Wow, thanks for linking that thread. I have to count myself more fortunate than some of the people over there!

I called the dealership, filled them in on the details - they anticipate 2 hours or so of labor + parts in the $300 neighborhood, but who knows what will happen tomorrow. I was so concentrated on the one set of severed wires, I didn't think to look for further damage.

I do wish it had been the ignition coil. That would have been a much better situation. Life just works out that way sometimes. At least I have an interesting story to tell!
Old 03-27-15, 09:46 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RatHater
My new band name
Actually coined by the "Rocky and Bullwinkle show.
Old 03-27-15, 10:13 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

You're a member of the rat pack now, just not the good kind.

Judging by what was in the engine, they were probably in there for a while. The repair is a job you probably want to leave to a professional. It could get messy, literally. And I'm sure the dealership has done this more than a few times. They'll know what to check. Just make sure the cabin filter is on the list. The other thread mentions solutions to get rid of the rats, mice or whatever is gnawing on your engine wires. Hopefully there's something in there you can use. I'm really sorry this happened to you. Again, good luck with the repairs.
Old 03-27-15, 08:10 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default That's got to be a new Benchmark...

...for arguing for reimbursement: "...I managed to expense it, citing employee safety due to lack of rodent control on company grounds..."

My hat's off to you (If you made it past the audit, you must have pictures of someone in Accounting.)!
Old 03-28-15, 05:28 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The rodents are after the harness casing.
One effect of 'going green' is more use of vegetable products in the production of plastic.
Once the rodent develops a taste for your harness, even if you replace the harness, you have three options.
Eliminate the rodent
Move the vehicle
Wrap the delicious plastic in 'rodent proof' tape (yeah, they actually make that now).

I deliver auto parts and out in the country I deliver a lot of harnesses, all Makes.

Last edited by Raoul; 03-28-15 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-28-15, 09:15 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A few years ago I changed the air filter on my 2006 IS 350 and found this mummified creature in the air box. He must have crawled in through the intake, fell into the box and wasn't able to get out. No idea when it got in there, I suspect while it was sitting on the dealer's lot as I don't seem to have any rodent problems around our house. I keep the windows up on all my vehicles when in the driveway or in the garage, and I keep the garage door down.

Old 03-28-15, 06:15 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

RatHater - You mention "the ignition coil". Your car has six of them, one for each spark plug.
I agree that your car is beyond "shade tree mechanic" stage and should go to the dealer.
Sorry this happened to you.
Ray A.
Old 03-28-15, 10:23 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My daughter took a trip to AZ a few years ago. She parked her ES350 out in the driveway where she was visiting. When she went to leave, her car was not working correctly. She took it to the Lexus dealership where they just taped two wires together that had been chewed through. So I think your fix is good. It can be very expensive to replace a wiring harness in a Lexus.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wire eating rats