RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Customized Low Profile Bike Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 09:23 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Customized Low Profile Bike Roof Rack

I been meaning to share this for a while but I haven't been on this forum much. I came up with this idea back when we owned the first generation RX. As other have notice, what's the point of cross bars if they are useless? What I also wanted to avoid was additional cross bars that mount to the side rail as it affects aerodynamics, noise and even mpg. So this was what I initial came up with many years ago and just used the same thing on our latest RX. Another useful part of this system is it clearance front and back. It clears the lifted tailgate and the moon roof!

Before I get into the details, this system is very simple but as with any installation, dependent on the installer and I take no responsibility. It's worked for me for 10+ years and I've had no issues. Check the hardware regularly and don't drive into lower overhangs!

It's very simple concept by mounting 2 trays to the factory cross bars with metal plates. Then mount the fork head to another cross bar to handle the torsional load.

Item's you'll need are
1. 2 fork mount trays, Yakima or Thule both worked for me.
2. 1 Yakima or Thule cross bar
3. 8 5/16 x 2 1/2" carriage bolts, washer and nuts
4. Fabricate 4 metal brackets out of zinc or galvanized plate.
5. Fairing - optional

Fabrication is very easy as dimensions are not crucial. It's needs to be able to bolt up to the tray and sandwich the cross bar. Sprayed them lightly with some paint to keep them from rusting. The photos should illustrate everything. Lastly the cross bar the fork heads mount to must be cut to length so it fits between the side rails for obvious reasons. Note on torquing down the bolts for the trays. I tighten enough where it bent the bars slightly and a bit more. This forms the bracket to the profile of the factory cross bars a little. Lastly the fairly which makes it look nice and clean, reduces noise.

I think I covered the key details. Below are the photos.

I've seen products like the Yakima forklift used on the RX and it's somewhat funny what one must do to make them fit. Either you mount it facing the front but due to overhang, you can barely open the tail gate. You can mount it backwards but I just think it looks odd but it works.

Anyhow, hope you find this useful.

Old 03-25-15, 01:47 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great job & nice pics to boot.
Hand made a similar set-up for a roof carrier on my wife's Odyssey a few years ago.
I forgot to tell her to make sure it's off before she puts it in the parking garage with a low ceiling !
Another story for another day. LOL.
Old 03-25-15, 03:13 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that.. but I can empathize! One thing you can do is place something in the way so you can't pull it.

What's great about this system is it's out of the way. I have a hitch rack also and it gets in the way of the opening the trunk. Then when parked and loaded with bikes, the hitch rack extends way back there.
Old 03-25-15, 03:55 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

I used a shelf stocked "U" bracket. Yours caught my eye.
Mine were a little wider span so I drilled the holes in the carrier at a 45 degree angle rather that parallel with the vehicle. Made a matching plate for the ends.
I started to chuckle a bit thinking about her unplanned "event".
Old 03-25-15, 04:00 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

My eldest son just spent a week in LA for his March break. Rented a road bike out there & put on some serious miles.
Rental operator kept lowering the rates every time he went back. Quickly learned my son is Canadian & all he wanted to talk about was hockey. Operator's favorite team is Montreal & he's never put a pair of skates on.