RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to adjust the headlights on the RX? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 08:40 PM
justducky
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the good suggestions. I will be contacting Lexus customer service and let you know what they say.
Old 03-21-15, 08:54 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

The top of the low beam has a sharp edge, as opposed to a feathered edge as on older sealed beams. Perhaps this is why my low beams don't reach very far, and I get flashed by oncoming traffic, especially at red lights.
Old 03-30-15, 10:39 AM
justducky
Driver School Candidate

Called customer service and was told they could not help me and that I needed to go back to the service dept at my dealership and take the matter up with the service manager. Went back to Lexus and told the service manager that there must some flexibility within the legal limits for the aim to be raised since the HID headlight aim on other vehicles I have driven is clearly set higher. I asked that my headlights be adjusted to the upper limit of the legal range (even though the technician had told me the week before this could not be done.) The service manager agreed to adjust the aim to the upper limit of what is legal, and I am pleased with the result. I can now see much farther ahead at night. Incidentally, I have been told repeatedly that this is not something you can do yourself even though the owner's manual states otherwise. They use a computer to adjust the headlight aim so you need to have the dealership do this. (It only cost $75 - well worth it.) Hope this helps someone else.
Old 03-30-15, 10:42 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad your problem has a positive resolution -- and THANK YOU for updating us. It will certainly be of assist to someone, one day. Enjoy that night time driving in your RX!
Old 03-30-15, 10:45 AM
justducky
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Bert. Your advice was very helpful!
The following users liked this post:
Kimchee00 (11-21-23)
Old 03-30-15, 10:06 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I had to have the dealer adjust my 2004 headlights for the same issue. That cutlrtain that blocks the top part of the illumination pattern was just too low. The dealer didn't squawk though, they just did it. The 2013 was just fine though. Both were HID headlights and both show a very distinct line in the illumination pattern when driven at night. So I guess my point is merely that the adjustment may not be all that unusual on HID lights, but perhaps arguing with the dealership is...
Old 04-05-15, 07:21 AM
ssonechko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you very much for the great info! Still need help....

Originally Posted by justducky
Called customer service and was told they could not help me and that I needed to go back to the service dept at my dealership and take the matter up with the service manager. Went back to Lexus and told the service manager that there must some flexibility within the legal limits for the aim to be raised since the HID headlight aim on other vehicles I have driven is clearly set higher. I asked that my headlights be adjusted to the upper limit of the legal range (even though the technician had told me the week before this could not be done.) The service manager agreed to adjust the aim to the upper limit of what is legal, and I am pleased with the result. I can now see much farther ahead at night. Incidentally, I have been told repeatedly that this is not something you can do yourself even though the owner's manual states otherwise. They use a computer to adjust the headlight aim so you need to have the dealership do this. (It only cost $75 - well worth it.) Hope this helps someone else.
I visited the dealership yesterday, and unfortunately, at first, 2 mechanics and service manager were not able to find a way to adjust headlights vertically, just horizontally. I have 2015 RX-350 with Halogen headlights. After they saw this thread, they told me that height of the headlights already up to the legal limit, while there is no legal headlights height limit in IL... It shows that guys just have no idea about
Could you please help me with two questions?
- What is the height of your headlights (measured from the center to the floor), for me to decide if adjustment is needed or not;
- Is it possible to share you mechanic/service manager contacts? May be there is a way to adjust Halogen headlights, and they know how to do that.

Thanks a lot !!!
Old 04-28-15, 10:47 AM
kmar
Driver

My RX 350 is at the dealer today to address the headlight aim issue and the service advisor called to say the headlights are at the upper limit and "can not" be adjusted any higher. I feel the current aim of the headlights poses a SAFETY HAZARD, as at speeds above 45 mph it seems I'm over driving the headlights. My previous vehicles have had farther reaching headlights, HID or Halogen. Had I known of this deficiency and the inability to adjust them properly I would not have purchased the vehicle. My next new vehicle test drive will be done at night. Buyer beware.

Thank you all for your opinions and advice.
Old 04-28-15, 01:49 PM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmar
My RX 350 is at the dealer today to address the headlight aim issue and the service advisor called to say the headlights are at the upper limit and "can not" be adjusted any higher. I feel the current aim of the headlights poses a SAFETY HAZARD, as at speeds above 45 mph it seems I'm over driving the headlights. My previous vehicles have had farther reaching headlights, HID or Halogen. Had I known of this deficiency and the inability to adjust them properly I would not have purchased the vehicle. My next new vehicle test drive will be done at night. Buyer beware.

Thank you all for your opinions and advice.
it could be that your previous vehicles' were set incorrectly (too high) and that would be a safety hazard too - as the on coming drivers could then be blinded and drive into your path.
Old 04-28-15, 03:51 PM
kmar
Driver

"it could be that your previous vehicles' were set incorrectly (too high) and that would be a safety hazard too - as the on coming drivers could then be blinded and drive into your path."

It could be but ... I've never had an oncoming vehicle flash their lights at me to signal by lights were too bright to too high in 40 years of driving.
Old 04-28-15, 04:07 PM
ssonechko
Driver School Candidate

Default The same issue here

Originally Posted by kmar
"it could be that your previous vehicles' were set incorrectly (too high) and that would be a safety hazard too - as the on coming drivers could then be blinded and drive into your path."

It could be but ... I've never had an oncoming vehicle flash their lights at me to signal by lights were too bright to too high in 40 years of driving.
Agree! Went to the dealership, they told me that lights cannot be adjusted vertically. No logic here... If I'll change wheels from 18' (current) to 20', for example, would it be too high and a hazard for oncoming drivers that could not be adjusted either?
Old 04-28-15, 05:53 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I find that when I pull into my garage, the lights shine a bit lower than I'd like; while if I back in (you guessed it, there's a bit of slant) they are up to where I'd like them to be (shine about 50' farther).

Same thing happens when I park in a lot where the front end is slightly lower than the rear.

Have not tried to outsmart it.
Old 04-29-15, 08:55 AM
kmar
Driver

I had my 2015 RX 350 at the dealer yesterday to check the alignment (slight tire wear issue) and to have the HID low beam headlight aim set higher. I was told they are actually set a bit higher than Lexus specs and they can not adjust them higher. The service advisor seemed to say it isn't possible to adjust them higher. He showed me a photo taken on his phone of the headlight beams in relation to their marks on their headlight alignment wall. I noticed when I got in the car to go home the high beams were on, so I wonder if that photo was with the high beams on.

I really feel I'm getting the run-around. I'm going to contact some independent shops that do Lexus work and see what they say.

I will also be contacting Lexus corporate to express my disappointment with this issue and look into filing a complain with the NHTSA.

Last edited by kmar; 04-29-15 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-29-15, 09:02 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

If you go to 20 inch wheels from 18 inch the goal is to install a tire with a shorter sidewall to keep the same diameter so your car speedometer is accurate, and your mileage and acceleration are the same. Thus the vehicle height will not increase if the correct size is selected. The folks at tire rack can help.
Old 04-29-15, 03:15 PM
kmar
Driver

Earlier today while searching through this forum I came upon an owner's instructions for adjusting the mechanism on the rear suspension that's part of controlling of the headlight alignment. Now I can't find that information. I'd like to take that info to an independent shop. Anyone have a link to that info? Thanks!

Quick Reply: How to adjust the headlights on the RX? (merged threads)