RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to adjust the headlights on the RX? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 06:58 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to adjust the headlights on the RX? (merged threads)

I have HID low beams and Halogen high beams on my 2015 RX 350. I'd like to set the HID low beams just a touch higher. The manual shows where the adjustment screws are located, but does not indicate which way (clockwise or counter-clockwise) to turn the screw to raise the position of the headlight. Yes I could just start turning one way or the other to figure it out, but was wondering if anyone knows.

Thanks, Ken
Old 02-18-15, 07:57 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

any particular reason you want them higher? you def dont want to blind oncoming traffic, HID flicker can mess with ya eyes
Old 02-19-15, 09:07 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

i took my 2005 with hid low beams to my dealer for that. much better letting them handle it imho. i dont even think they charged me for it. hence the good part of building up a dealer customer relationship
Old 02-19-15, 09:22 AM
kmar
Driver

Originally Posted by greeknasty
any particular reason you want them higher? you def dont want to blind oncoming traffic, HID flicker can mess with ya eyes
My wife's Mustang has HID headlights and they illuminate a bit farther down the road. I only want to raise the RX 350 lights just a bit, not much. The reason? Simply to see better at night.
Old 02-19-15, 02:31 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

At night, park 20 feet from a garage door so you can see where the light beam top edge is in relation to the door sections. Turn one of the screws half a turn one way and see if the beam goes up or down.
Old 02-19-15, 02:53 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kmar
My wife's Mustang has HID headlights and they illuminate a bit farther down the road. I only want to raise the RX 350 lights just a bit, not much. The reason? Simply to see better at night.
Does the Mustang have self-leveling, though?
Old 02-20-15, 08:35 AM
kmar
Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Does the Mustang have self-leveling, though?
No it doesn't. Why do you ask?
Old 02-20-15, 09:09 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kmar
No it doesn't. Why do you ask?
Two reasons.
First - it is not fair to compare the two. The RX will keep the beam length consistent while Mustang will not.
Second - you must be aware of the self-leveling feature if you are going to adjust the beams. If you do this while the vehicle is off, the level may not be the same as after it initializes when it starts.

Personally, that is something I would advise against doing. The HIDs on our RX are leveled perfectly fine.

Your other option would be to adjust the height sensor on either the front or rear suspension, or both. That will have the same effect and light leveling will compensate for it.
Old 03-19-15, 06:04 PM
justducky
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to adjust the headlight aim for low beam on 2015 RX350?

The headlight aim is too low on my 2015 RX 350. (I have a hard time seeing the road at night when there are no street lights, especially when I am going downhill as the lights cut off at the top and have to go well below the speed limit on hilly roads.) The DIY section of the owner's manual states you can adjust the headlight aim with a phillips screwdriver, but the photo in the manual is not correct for my year/model of car. I called the Lexus service dept. and the technician insisted that I should not attempt to adjust the headlights or else I might break the mechanism and told me to bring the car to the service dept. However, at the service dept,. I was told my car is set to factory specifications, and that they were not allowed to raise the level. I feel it is not safe for me to drive at night with my lights aimed so low and really want them to be adjusted higher, but two technicians at Lexus have insisted this cannot be done on the 2015 model. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 03-19-15, 06:41 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Use your high beam, unless there is oncoming traffic.
If there is oncoming traffic then your low beam along with the oncoming low beam should provide sufficient illumination.

I know its a hassle constantly working the low beam/ high beam stick but, that's the price of living in the hills.
Old 03-20-15, 04:59 AM
justducky
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I am constantly turning the high beams on and off (which is quite annoying), but since the high beams must be dimmed at the crest of hills and on curves in case oncoming traffic is, that leaves me unable to see at times and there are often deer in the road, etc. I have driven these roads for many years in various types of vehicles, and never had a the field of vision so impaired. (The Acura low beam lights are so bright I did not even need high beam lights; my Toyota Tacoma headlights work fine, too.) The factory preset is too low and is not safe. Many Lexus drivers have complained of this with previous models and said the headlight aim could be adjusted. I am hoping this is the case with the 2015 model.
The following users liked this post:
ppihaha (01-02-21)
Old 03-20-15, 05:51 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, not sure if you have Halogen or HIDs on your RX, so that may be a consideration in terms of visibility difference from other vehicles you and others compare with.

Be that as it may, since you've contacted a dealer who is telling you you can't adjust the headlight aim, despite the DIY section in the 2015 manual on p716-717 for either headlight type, I'd suggest contacting Lexus Customer Service, explaining what you want to do, the reference in the manual, the picture being wrong compared to your specific vehicle, and that your dealer is saying it can't be adjusted -- so, "what's the scoop?" You can contact Lexus Corporate via all methods HERE, or if you want to try posting to them, go to THIS SUBFORUM here on CL and create a post -- read the sticky at the top how that works first.

Please post back if you figure it out. I'm sure a future person may benefit from what you find out. Good luck.
Old 03-20-15, 01:47 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree mine look a bit low too, although the width seems to be greater than on my previous RX's.
Old 03-21-15, 11:58 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by justducky
The headlight aim is too low on my 2015 RX 350. (I have a hard time seeing the road at night when there are no street lights, especially when I am going downhill as the lights cut off at the top and have to go well below the speed limit on hilly roads.) The DIY section of the owner's manual states you can adjust the headlight aim with a phillips screwdriver, but the photo in the manual is not correct for my year/model of car. I called the Lexus service dept. and the technician insisted that I should not attempt to adjust the headlights or else I might break the mechanism and told me to bring the car to the service dept. However, at the service dept,. I was told my car is set to factory specifications, and that they were not allowed to raise the level. I feel it is not safe for me to drive at night with my lights aimed so low and really want them to be adjusted higher, but two technicians at Lexus have insisted this cannot be done on the 2015 model. Anyone have experience with this?
just change it to HID. ( low beam)
and in my case, even the fog lamps.
the difference is night and day.

disadvantage : some times i get flashed/ even on a low beam.
Old 03-21-15, 06:51 PM
kmar
Driver

I agree, the low beam HID headlights on my 2015 RX 350 are just a bit too low. I tried adjusting them as per the insturctions in the manual, but my small phillips screwdriver didn't seem to fit into anything in the hole. I too agree that I don't feel safe driving with the low beams. At speeds over 40 mph or so I feel I'm over-driving my lighted field of view. I'll be visiting the dealer for the 5,000 mile service in a couple of months and this is the number one thing on my list (actually the only thing). My wife drives a 2014 Mustang with HID headlights and the low beams illuminate much farther down the road. If my dealer tells me they won't (or "can't") adjust them I'll definitely be making a call to Lexus and if there is no resolution to the issue, the next call will be to the National Traffic Safety Administration.

Quick Reply: How to adjust the headlights on the RX? (merged threads)