RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 350 15K Service a Rip Off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 12:00 PM
DocRonPS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 350 15K Service a Rip Off?

I have over 15K on my 2015 RX 350 and my local dealer wants $335 for this service. I really don't know what REALLY has to be done. My brakes were inspected at 11K and were fine. I think all those fluids are a waste and no one needs a cabin filter that often.I guess I could fine someone to rotate tires. Advice?
Old 03-09-15, 12:13 PM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a rip off even though you don't list all the services done but since you probably got your oil changed at 10k I have no idea what they could have done that would cost $335.
Old 03-09-15, 01:24 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

umm. ask for detailed description on this 15k service. id like to know
Old 03-09-15, 01:31 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounded like a huge rip off. These are what i found from Lexus.driver website.

15,000 Mile Factory Recommended Service
Rotate tires and adjust tire pressures as required Replace smart key battery
Reset maintenance reminder light Road test vehicle
Check installation of driver's floor mat Inspect and adjust all fluid levels Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers Inspect body
Inspect brake lines and hoses Inspect engine coolant Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly Inspect steering linkage and boots Inspect wiper blades
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Old 03-09-15, 04:59 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Some tire shops will rotate the tires for free. You can check the tire pressure yourself with an ordinary tire pressure gage. The directions to change the fob batteries are in the owner's manual. Piece of cake. The Maintenance reminder reset is done with the ODO reset button. Instructions on this forum someplace, or Google it. Floor mat and fluid level inspections are all visual and easy. Under-the-car inspections require some experience, but ask around. Anyone else?
In conclusion, you can do it yourself and save the other stuff for the 20K oil change, etc.
Yes, it sounds like a rip off. Try a local Toyota dealer. Show them your Owner's checklist.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
Old 03-09-15, 05:21 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On the flip side, I went to the dealership today to get some touch up paint.
They usually run $15 - $20 but, since this was Lexus I braced myself for the horror.

The parts guy ran my VIN to verify the paint code, handed me the tube and said, "No charge."

I ran out of there with the paint before he could realize I wasn't the dealership owner!
Old 03-09-15, 05:46 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul
On the flip side, I went to the dealership today to get some touch up paint.
They usually run $15 - $20 but, since this was Lexus I braced myself for the horror.

The parts guy ran my VIN to verify the paint code, handed me the tube and said, "No charge."

I ran out of there with the paint before he could realize I wasn't the dealership owner!

Wouldn't worry about the touch up paint. My dealer will touch up any nick or small scratch without charge when you bring it in for service.
Old 03-09-15, 06:39 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

The local Toyota dealer quoted me $30.00 for the 15K service. I had the engine air filter changed at the same time and the total went to $75.
Old 03-09-15, 06:46 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom558
The local Toyota dealer quoted me $30.00 for the 15K service. I had the engine air filter changed at the same time and the total went to $75.
$45 for an air filter?
Old 03-09-15, 07:01 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DocRonPS
I have over 15K on my 2015 RX 350 and my local dealer wants $335 for this service. I really don't know what REALLY has to be done. My brakes were inspected at 11K and were fine. I think all those fluids are a waste and no one needs a cabin filter that often.I guess I could fine someone to rotate tires. Advice?

Since the RX has gone to the 10,000 mile oil change I skipped the 15,000 service. The only thing that is really being missed is the tire rotation. My opinion on the rotations is the cost far out weighs the value of the increase in tire life.
Old 03-09-15, 07:30 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justin1203
$45 for an air filter?
Yes, labor and material. The filter was $30.00 and $15.00 to replace it.
Old 03-10-15, 05:28 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default When you're required to use Lexus service departments

If you're having a warranty repair, then a Lexus service department is where you have to go (after all Lexus is paying for it). For routine maintenance, try and work out a rapport with your service department for reasonable fees. If like many they prefer to gouge you, then use your local Toyota store. The parts and oil are the very same, prices are generally 1/3rd to 1/2 the same charge and you'll have to drink regular coffee and eat donuts over Latte's and sweet rolls. They'll even file your maintenance online with Lexus for you.

You decide. You're only obligation is to have the service done specified in your maintenance manual. You can even do it yourself if capable and many do. Just keep parts receipts and file online that you did it.
Old 03-10-15, 07:25 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
They'll even file your maintenance online with Lexus for you.
The Toyota dealer did not complete the online maintenance history. They also could not order the touch up paint [Silver Lining Metallic (1J4)].
Old 03-10-15, 10:49 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cruiter
If you're having a warranty repair, then a Lexus service department is where you have to go (after all Lexus is paying for it). For routine maintenance, try and work out a rapport with your service department for reasonable fees. If like many they prefer to gouge you, then use your local Toyota store. The parts and oil are the very same, prices are generally 1/3rd to 1/2 the same charge and you'll have to drink regular coffee and eat donuts over Latte's and sweet rolls. They'll even file your maintenance online with Lexus for you.

You decide. You're only obligation is to have the service done specified in your maintenance manual. You can even do it yourself if capable and many do. Just keep parts receipts and file online that you did it.
This^. Regsiter with Lexus Driver website and manually update any diy maintenance. My wife do a lot of stop and go traffic (the 15 miles commute usually take about 45min to 1 hour), so i change the oil every 7.5mil with Toyota oil and filter; the only time i would bring the car to the dealership was for warranty or recalls. No problem so far.
Old 03-11-15, 05:26 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Tom, sorry if they didn't do that for you. But all you need to do is do it yourself by logging on and entering the info with the R/O # from your service. I did it once myself. For the money saved, it was worth my time .
Originally Posted by Tom558
The Toyota dealer did not complete the online maintenance history. They also could not order the touch up paint [Silver Lining Metallic (1J4)].

Quick Reply: RX 350 15K Service a Rip Off?