RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 12:42 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

H-rated tire is good up to 130MPH. V is 149MPH:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35
Unless you plan to travel between the speeds of 131MPH and 149MPH, there's no difference between the two.
Old 02-25-15, 01:45 PM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGa
There have been some of you RX owners who have put on Bridgestone 422's right? and you did/do like them...right????
There are owners here who like them, but I was not a fan personally. I thought the handling characteristics left a lot to be desired. Bridgestone has a 30 day "buy and try" program so you have some peace of mind if you're unhappy. I swapped them out for the Pirelli Scorpion Verde and was much happier. Full disclosure...I prioritize handling above everything else. 40k on the Pirelli's and still have tread left. Very happy with their performance in all conditions.
Old 02-25-15, 04:42 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
H-rated tire is good up to 130MPH. V is 149MPH:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35
Unless you plan to travel between the speeds of 131MPH and 149MPH, there's no difference between the two.
Actually, that's not strictly true.

A H rated tyre is of inferior construction to a V rated tyre, it dissipates heat at a lower rate and even at 70mph it will make a difference. Whether you notice the difference is another matter.

A guy from Tire Rack has mentioned the above on this thread in great detail before. There's a reason there is a V rated tyre on the RX, if not, they would have just put H rated tyres on.

In fact, over here in the UK, going down on speed ratings on tyres fails the MOT and will most likely cause insurance problems too enhancing that there is a safety reason behind the speed ratings.
Old 02-25-15, 07:52 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by COPAPILOT
My car had a two inch blowout in the sidewall and Michelin refused to honor their warranty because the Michelin retail dealer thru the tire away after inspecting it. I could take them to arbitration but that takes 2-3 years and a lot of my time. I learned my lesson, I will keep the next damaged tire.
I think the real lesson is to avoid Michelin like the Ebola. The worst, WORST tires I've owned have been Michelin. I'm trying a set of their super fancy Pilot Super Sports, or whatever, this summer on my Z but aside from that, trash.
Old 02-26-15, 07:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ColAngus
I think the real lesson is to avoid Michelin like the Ebola. The worst, WORST tires I've owned have been Michelin. I'm trying a set of their super fancy Pilot Super Sports, or whatever, this summer on my Z but aside from that, trash.
i disagree. i have had very good performance out of michelin tires.
Old 02-26-15, 12:27 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Michelin Tires

I have used Michelin tires in most of my vehicles since 1979 and they have proved to be the absolute BEST tires on each vehicle (Peugeot, Honda, Toyota, Lexus).
Old 03-02-15, 03:26 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Just bought 2 Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/55 r19 101V.

They'll be replacing 2 Dunlop SP Sport 270 tyres which have reached 1.8mm over 27k miles.

I think theyre coming from Germany and only cost £127 each ($190). Will need them fitted by Lexus though - dont want any backstreet guy scratching my wheels!
Old 03-02-15, 07:56 AM
bandaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bandaman
245/55R19's fit fine and look great. Just had a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopias mounted on the wife's RX450h yesterday. I haven't driven it yet, but I have 6 hrs behind the wheel coming up in the next couple of weekends to get a feel for them. Selection and price is much better in the 245 size...
Follow up report.. These have been on since November and have been great through a typical Iowa winter with lots of snow, ice, and wet conditions.

The 245 size indeed works fine and I'm not sure why more aren't considering this size. Cheaper and more options available. Do your research and choose what you want if you know it will work. If your dealer refuses to install, find a different dealer.
Old 03-02-15, 09:26 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't like Pirelli tires. I have had more trouble with them than any brand except Goodyear. I had a Pirelli tire throw tread like a recap would. Damaged the car around the wheel well and could have blown the tire. I think Bridgestone tires are the best. If you go to Tire Rack on line you can see how they are rated for dry, wet, ice, snow, wear life, quiet, etc and select a local tire dealer to receive/install them. I used a local NTB dealer who's installation price for Tire Rack was half his price to install tires he sold from his store. Tire Rack has negotiated a volume discount with NTB.
Old 03-03-15, 12:45 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Actually, that's not strictly true.

A H rated tyre is of inferior construction to a V rated tyre, it dissipates heat at a lower rate and even at 70mph it will make a difference. Whether you notice the difference is another matter.

A guy from Tire Rack has mentioned the above on this thread in great detail before. There's a reason there is a V rated tyre on the RX, if not, they would have just put H rated tyres on.

In fact, over here in the UK, going down on speed ratings on tyres fails the MOT and will most likely cause insurance problems too enhancing that there is a safety reason behind the speed ratings.
Hmmmmm....that's interesting. I just spoke to a tirerack guy who said, according to Lexus, an H rated tire is approved for the RX
Old 03-03-15, 01:56 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by viperdoc
Hmmmmm....that's interesting. I just spoke to a tirerack guy who said, according to Lexus, an H rated tire is approved for the RX
They will let you put H tyres on but it will feel different at high speeds, thats what I was trying to get at. Steering may feel slightly lazy like it catches up a second after you turn at 80mph etc
Old 03-03-15, 09:41 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
They will let you put H tyres on but it will feel different at high speeds, thats what I was trying to get at. Steering may feel slightly lazy like it catches up a second after you turn at 80mph etc
Ahhhh....understood. Though I wil say that my Acura MDX has 245/55r19 tires with an h rating and the car handles very similarly to my f sport, even though the mdx has a softer suspension. Good point though
Old 03-04-15, 12:37 PM
NorthGa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexen Tires

Has anyone bought Nexen tires for their vehicle?

They seem to be trying to be trying to get into the luxury car tire business? Not many reviews, most are decent but are they to be trusted?

I realize many folks will say stay with the known brands......but am curious to know if anyone has bought them and or know someone who has?

thanks
Old 03-04-15, 02:12 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Years ago I got a set for $100 each including installation so I decided to give it a try. Was absolutely happy with purchase, soft, quite and lasted about 40K miles. So it was easy choice when I needed new set again but this time it lasted for about 15K miles. So it is hit and miss. I am back to Michelin.
Old 03-04-15, 10:29 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had them for another car (95 Toyota Corolla). They are ok. Not great, but not bad. Personally, if you can afford it, stick to something tired and trued.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread