RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Just purchased a used rx350 how did I do?

Old 02-28-15, 01:12 AM
rxbling
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a used rx350 how did I do?

Hi, I just purchased a used 2014 rx350 w/ 8700 miles on it in southern california (no cpo) starfire pearl still has remaining warranty.

Car has sports appearance package, comfort package, premium package, luxury package, navigation system, parking assist, wood and leather trim steering wheel/****

went through internet sales dept. originally listed for $43,899 ... internet sale price 40,931, email negotiated price 39,931 spoke to the internet sales for a week through email/phone and they would not budge on the price.

Finally decided to try my luck in the dealership today and after a few hours of b.s and documents I was able to get the car to 38.450 + 9%tax and some doc fees.

Bargaining chip : I had another dealer as my second choice on the other-line through this process. The dealer offered me a 2013 with 13.4k miles (cpo) has all the same package but the interior was beige that I was not too excited about since my trade-in vehicle was a 2006 rx400h with beige interior.

dealer was dead set on 43k otd but in the end we shook hands at 42.3 otd; my main battle in my head was wondering if its worth a extra grand for a 2014 model over 2013 with simular packages

end of the day: my wife and I are extremely happy with the purchase and its a beautful car and a wonderful upgrade from the 2006 rx400h.

how did i do? overpaid, okay, or good?

thanks again and hello gen3 members !
Old 02-28-15, 06:12 AM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You did ok. However, for a little more coin and negotiation, you could have purchased a 2015.
Old 02-28-15, 07:04 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

rxbling, IMHO, if you and your wife are happy, it was a great deal for you. Time to enjoy that new-to-you ride! Congrats.
Old 02-28-15, 09:09 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rxbling
end of the day: my wife and I are extremely happy with the purchase and its a beautful car and a wonderful upgrade from the 2006 rx400h.
This says it all. Congratulations on your purchase!

Old 02-28-15, 12:12 PM
rxbling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daddykay24
You did ok. However, for a little more coin and negotiation, you could have purchased a 2015.
I started a few negotiations through email for a new one, with the same packages and options the best deals I got were 49-50otd or 48.3 w/ nav and sports appearance w/out some of the packages here in socal, Tax rate is high here in california. i opted to save 6+k since i can use the finances elsewhere.

how much are you guys paying for a new rx and what state?

Last edited by rxbling; 02-28-15 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 02:18 PM
ketleone14
Driver School Candidate

for 38450 for a 14 with luxury, I think that is great. I have not even seen a used RX with Luxury around here. It seems like pricing in CA is better than around New England.
Old 02-28-15, 08:00 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell yourself you got a good deal that way you can feel good that you bought it. If someone convinces you that it wasnt a good deal you will feel bad for as long as you own it.
Old 02-28-15, 09:14 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

^+1. Time to enjoy. It's just money.
Old 03-01-15, 05:11 AM
rxbling
Driver School Candidate

Haha thanks guys , you are guys are too kind. I just want to know bow I did so I can do better next time . its okay , I can take a few hits ; p
Old 03-01-15, 07:44 AM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I started a few negotiations through email for a new one, with the same packages and options the best deals I got were 49-50otd or 48.3 w/ nav and sports appearance w/out some of the packages here in socal, Tax rate is high here in california. i opted to save 6+k since i can use the finances elsewhere.

how much are you guys paying for a new rx and what state?
Check the thread below. It was the reason for my statement. Enjoy your new vehicle.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...es-so-far.html
Old 03-01-15, 10:18 AM
milehighda
Driver School Candidate

For what it is worth, I got a 2013 with 8210 miles for 40500 +ttl. Mine was Cpo and has navigation, comfort, premium packages. It is black on black. I also got the extended Cpo warranty for 6 years, not 3 years. I messed up negotiations on sale price but I don't think it would have dropped more than 1000. The extended Cpo warranty I got sort of free. In exchange for 1900 to buy the package, he dropped my interest rate a quarter. So it was a near wash. Since I always pay more monthly, I am not concerned about the interest. All in all I think I got a good deal, not great. But it is only my 2nd time buying a car and first time buying used.

I did a better job negotiating for a 2016 kia sorento which I had at below invoice for a car that just came out. I just liked the Lexus better for just a few grand more.
Old 03-01-15, 09:11 PM
rxbling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by milehighda
For what it is worth, I got a 2013 with 8210 miles for 40500 +ttl. Mine was Cpo and has navigation, comfort, premium packages. It is black on black. I also got the extended Cpo warranty for 6 years, not 3 years. I messed up negotiations on sale price but I don't think it would have dropped more than 1000. The extended Cpo warranty I got sort of free. In exchange for 1900 to buy the package, he dropped my interest rate a quarter. So it was a near wash. Since I always pay more monthly, I am not concerned about the interest. All in all I think I got a good deal, not great. But it is only my 2nd time buying a car and first time buying used.

I did a better job negotiating for a 2016 kia sorento which I had at below invoice for a car that just came out. I just liked the Lexus better for just a few grand more.
not too shabby, when did you make the purchase? and are you still loving your lexus rx350? compared to your 2016 Kia sorento which do you prefer driving?
Old 03-02-15, 06:44 PM
milehighda
Driver School Candidate

not too shabby, when did you make the purchase? and are you still loving your lexus rx350? compared to your 2016 Kia sorento which do you prefer driving?
I made my purchase Saturday. I didn't buy the 2016 Sorento. I first started out looking for a 2015 Sorento. I have driven all three and by far the Lexus was the better driving experience to me because it is so smooth. The Sorento (v6) is also good, but doesn't transition gears like the lexus and has more road noise. I also drove the 4 cylinder turbo, which is a joke on the highway. (I drove my friend's cayenne yesterday, now that is a turbo). Honestly the feature that I preferred the most was the driver's seat. Lexus' is a 1000x more comfortable than the Sorento.

Essentially the Lexus was $40-100 more per month than either Kia, so it was really a no brainer to me. Another thing that sealed it for Lexus was they were pretty straight up. At kia after they ran my credit, which is excellent, they tried to say the interest rate was 4.9! They moved it down after I called them on it, but lost all respect for the dealer after that.
Old 03-03-15, 12:19 AM
rxbling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by milehighda
I made my purchase Saturday. I didn't buy the 2016 Sorento. I first started out looking for a 2015 Sorento. I have driven all three and by far the Lexus was the better driving experience to me because it is so smooth. The Sorento (v6) is also good, but doesn't transition gears like the lexus and has more road noise. I also drove the 4 cylinder turbo, which is a joke on the highway. (I drove my friend's cayenne yesterday, now that is a turbo). Honestly the feature that I preferred the most was the driver's seat. Lexus' is a 1000x more comfortable than the Sorento.

Essentially the Lexus was $40-100 more per month than either Kia, so it was really a no brainer to me. Another thing that sealed it for Lexus was they were pretty straight up. At kia after they ran my credit, which is excellent, they tried to say the interest rate was 4.9! They moved it down after I called them on it, but lost all respect for the dealer after that.
4.9 for excellent credit, goodness ...
Old 03-04-15, 07:32 AM
milehighda
Driver School Candidate

4.9 for excellent credit, goodness ...
Yup. They were trying to make up for the super discount they were going to give me, invoice on just released model. I knew that part of the game. Lexus gave me 2.74. Both 60 month. Kia will never get to luxury level paying games with customers.

I have to say lexus alike and carmax sales people were very similar. Nonchalant, friendly, no bs. None of the stupid sales tactics (of course it didn't help that lexus knew they had me because the fiance made it know that she loved the car).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just purchased a used rx350 how did I do?